[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rec me some more military strategy, /lit/. I read a great book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: _20160405_170200.jpg (348 KB, 1440x1966) Image search: [Google]
_20160405_170200.jpg
348 KB, 1440x1966
Rec me some more military strategy, /lit/. I read a great book about Scipio Africanus and a book by Patton about his campaigns that were pretty good and would definitely recommend. I read that stupid black hearts book and would definitely recommend against.
>>
>>7890396
Read history
>>
Thucydides
Xenophanes
Arrian
Polybius
>>
Thucydides into Xenophon.
>>
Clausewitz - On War
Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy
>>
>>7890396
>ah, Miz Hilton, you came to the right man, for I, Fabio, social extraordinaire, from Paris to Milan, I uncloud the mirrors of wealthy and make their children shine, shine, SHINE
>yaah, i, like, heard you're THE best
>the best? I am only! -- they call me fab-u-lous Fabio, fan-tas-tic Fabio, Fabio, King of the Facebook
>yaah, i like your hair btw
>Thank you Mizzzzzzz Hilton, of course you do -- but now to business -- your image: you think it needs a little, how do you call, lift?
>yaah, like, a facelift or something
>si, a facelift! the metaphor, i think, is perfect, because you were once, in the eye of the public, beautiful, no? Prettier even than venezia twilight, but now...
>yaah, its all about that fat Kim bitch now, idgi she's doesn't even throw up after every meal, you know?
>aah, it is a sorry state of affairs indeed mizz; i myself have often remarked when watching the twitter tubes -- 'wait, Fabio, what happened to the real women? the women with visible ribs?' -- is a the feminists i say
>yaah. hate them plus sized bitches. also MTV wont even return my calls anymore
>WHAT? the idioti... you know *clutches her sculpted man jaw forcibly* Fabio still see that same beauty
>you think? I mean, obviously, but -- you think?
>si, si! that fire still burn, no? the one that, how do you call, 'made you a real hoe'?
>yaah, totally, i make dollars you know?
>exactly! you make the *rubs fingers* well, you came to the right man, me, Fab-u-lous Fabio, we make you big again
>awesome
>hmm... i think know problem, no? you have lost the respect, the public, they think you are, how do you call, 'no-good, vapid jezabelle'
>yaah, that's, basically, what playboy said in my full frontal nude shoot. can you believe that? hugh promised me it would be tasteful
>he is scum of earth! but you... bellissimo. but as Fabio say -- it is the respect; it is gone, dried up, like that old friend of yours, Nicole *sniffs* like fish in the sun, no?
>yaah
>so this i think is what we do -- we make you intelligent!!
>huh?
>clever. bright. witty!
>ohh, yaah. daddy always called me witty. at least that's what i think he'd say
>si! you are very smart girl. you come to Fabio after all, ah? well, okay. do you read?
>i mean, like magazines or?
>si, like magazines maybe, or maybe books -- you have favourite book? or authors?
>yaah, i really like Johnathan Franzen
>who? Fabio has never heard of this Franzen -- is he the american with the bandana?
>yaah, that's him!
>okay, well Fabio heard a little about him. Fabio think we might be cautious -- don't want to make the mizz seem a poseur! Here how about this?
>whats that?
>its the greatest book about war -- Fabio read before meeting uptight celebrities -- Fabio thinks it will go down well in, how do you call, 'Land of the Free'
>yaah, america. fuck.
>si, sit there and hold -- no, no open it -- no in middle, in middle, si, bend back the cover like taking a dick. ah bellissimo! you know how do this at least
>>
>>7890479
>>7890409
Thanks!
I have read excerpts of Clausewitz that were pure political philosophy, I didn't realize he looked at tactics
>>
>>7890586
Thank you for the effort, anon
>>
>>7890396
I mean this might be too obvious but have you read The Art of War by Sun Tzu?
>>
You can tell she's pretending because she's looking at the bottom of the left page as she turns the page. Turning the page makes you look at the bottom of the right page to the top of the left page, never at vice versa. This is an average-sized book so she would likely not have the page-turning resting position that one might have in a small book. Based on my astute abductive reasoning I can tell that this is a ploy, but why she would need to do this will require further investigation.
>>
>>7890984
She flipped back, do you even do in-depth reading?
>>
File: 1436139922130.gif (529 KB, 200x155) Image search: [Google]
1436139922130.gif
529 KB, 200x155
>>7890984

Its the Art Of War, no shit she is pretending. The only book more boring is Mein Kampf
>>
>>7890589
Ancient historians are great for this stuff. Livy for Rome for sure, in addition to what has already been mentioned.

Also Chandler's "campaigns of napoleon" is great if you're already familiar with some napoleonic history and are willing to get into tactics as well (diagrams, troop counts, artillery placement, geography, troop movements, reserves, etc.).

Also the guy who wrote the 48 laws of power (don't remember his name) wrote a similar but more specifically military book called the 33 strategies of war. In case you've never read either, the structure is simple and pleasant: a general idea derived from historical events, brief narratives about those events, and the applications of or ideas behind the topics and historical examples. Hardly solid history, but it's a great intro to some of the most interesting military strategies of all time, and the bibliography is a decent starter resource for the books in which you can read about those events more thoroughly.
>>
>>7890586
Apparently fabulous fabio is quadrilingual.
>>
>>7890586
>bend back cover like taking a dick
>>
>>7890586
Lel trip on critique threads
>>
>>7890982
Yes, that's why I kekked so hard at the image. I really enjoyed it as a kid and hadn't read any other books that had as much focus on practical elements of war. A lot of stuff is either more philosophical, which I enjoy also, or more focused on the personal lives of the leaders
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.