[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What music do you guys listen to while reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 35 Monet_Seerosen.jpg (74 KB, 636x411) Image search: [Google]
35 Monet_Seerosen.jpg
74 KB, 636x411
What music do you guys listen to while reading?
>>
>>7890000
check em son
>>
None. Disrupts my subvocalization.
>>
>>7890000

Brian Eno
>>
None, music is too distracting for reading and writing. Ambience I can deal with though
>>
>>7890009

;-)
>>
i can't listen to music when reading. firstly because it's too distracting, and secondly because i don't want to impose a different feel onto to the narrative than what's already there in the words. maybe i have autism, who knows
>>
>>7890026
Sometimes I enjoy the silence as well. Nothing to do with autism man.

Btw I don't understand why people always say listen to classical music. Only thing that would work for me is some really monotone renaissance/baroque piece like I hear on the radio sometimes. Everything else is far too distracting.
>>
nice quads

and music is a primary activity, not an augmentation to activity.

all these people who walk around with ear buds in constantly cannot possibly actually enjoy their music
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vh55_1ul8
>>
>>7890076
I always perceived music as a very passive medium. You can always use it as background noise without paying too much attention to it.

But maybe I'm just an uncultured prole that cant appreciate art.
>>
>>7890076
true autism
>>
harsh noise
>>
Tim Hecker
Sunn O)))
A lot of post-rock
>>
>>7890100
Not really harsh noise, but I occasionally listen to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music when writing or working on homework. Really great stuff for thinking
>>
Generic multiple hours long piano music on YouTube.

Not distracting and usually fits pretty well.
>>
Either really lowkey ambient stuff like >>7890010
Or I listen to a noise generator, rain, chimes, singing bowls, all good
>>
>>7890026
I know exactly what you mean. It's through similar reasoning that I love to know and sometimes look at the album cover while listening to music. As if I'm placing myself in the setting which the artist intended. Is that autism? I hope not.
>>
>>7890457
Also the only music I listen while reading is minimalist or ambient. Listening to the Disintegration Loops while reading A Book of Disquiet is quite an experience, albeit a tacky one.
>>
File: aa7dfbe8[1].jpg (133 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
aa7dfbe8[1].jpg
133 KB, 658x658
>>7890000
I listen to Death Grips at full volume while I read.
>>
>>7890457
I hate to tell you this but it seems as though you the disease has progressed to second stage autism :^(
>>
>>7890520

I listen to trout mask replica at full blast while I read beat that
>>
File: 1400126177562.png (158 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1400126177562.png
158 KB, 500x359
>>7890076
This is kinda true and false. Music can make good background noise, and some styles of music have even been shown to have different effects on brain activity allowing extra focus(or completely messing up focus) on other tasks. However, listening to music on its own while not doing much else allows for further appreciation of it and is often a whole other experience.

It depends on what you want, background noise to help you focus or get comfy, or to actually listen to music.
>>
>>7890000
hey that's a cool number
>>
>>7890622
I listen to nothing at full blast while I read beat that
>>
Bill Evans.
>>
>>7890000
>he listens to music while reading
>>
>>7891544
This. Based as fuck. Try Loose Blues
>>
>>7890000
>>7890009
Pretty much this. Even if you don't subvocalize, you'll be distracting yourself.
>>
>>7890668
>>scientific study
I think there are a variety of other factors that influence whether music helps, hinders, or just sort of sits in the background.

Familiarity also plays a big role; if you know songs thoroughly you can multi-task without trouble while listening to them.
>>
>>7890076
Do you not listen to the radio while driving?
>>
Richard Wagner
>>
>>7890010
this

or pop music soundtracks i deem fitting to a work
ie

The Grateful Dead for philip k dick
Bob Dylan & Frank Zappa & The Beach Boys for pynchon
>>
I listen to the violent arguments my mother and father have throughout the house while I read. ;'(
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 197x256
My boy pic related
>>
classical is to music as literary fiction is to literature

rock listeners need not apply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liTSRH4fix4
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.