[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kindles are currently on sale for Amazon Prime Members
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
Should I buy the Paperwhite? If yes, should I buy it with or without special offers?
>>
>>7888387
>falling for the amazon cuckindle meme
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (533 KB, 455x561) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
533 KB, 455x561
I like mine, but it lacks the romance of a real book. It's nice that you can go practically catatonic with it. No awkward positions for bed readers. Oh, and get the back light unless you read with a lamp over your shoulder.
>>
>>7888408
All right. What's better: a Kindle with or without special offers?

Do you ever get strange stares in public?
>>
>>7888419
I didn't go with their shilled out 3g if that's the special offer you're referring to.

I don't leave my dwelling.
>>
>>7888432
No, I'm going with the wifi one.

Special offers just means seeing ads every time you open your kindle.
>>
>>7888439
Oh that, I don't have ads and I never payed to remove them. I assume it's because of the country I'm from.

I wouldn't pay to remove them, but that's preference.
>>
>>7888443
Only US models have ads.
>>
>>7888444
I have ads and I'm from Ireland, it was a gift though so I'm not sure if their was an option to get rid of them.
>>
>>7888503
just mail them.
>>
>>7888439
You don't see ads while reading, I don't think removing them is worth $20; you barely notice them
>>
>>7888736
What's the best way to get free books once my Kindle Paperwhite arrives to my house tomorrow? I bought it as unregistered, too.

Should I keep it on airplane mode forever?
>>
>>7888747

Search google for

Booktitle.mobi

download book, use USB to transfer to "documents" on kindle. At least this works on mine, one of the slightly older kindles.
>>
>>7888747
Libgen
>>
>>7888747
They can't really detect pirated books so it doesn't matter. Find ebook files online and use a program called Calibre to convert them for your Kindle if they're in another format.
>>
I have the kobo glo hd which is basically the same as the paperwhite except it also reads epubs. It's good, i like it.
>>
>>7888883
THIS
>>
>>7888883
can't you just convert epubs to the kindle format using Calibre?
>>
>>7888883
>kobo glo hd
dammit i just bought a kindle
>>
>>7888387
i just proposed this in another thread to deafening silence: would ebook sharethreads be a worthwhile endeavor? some things have been hard for me to find
>>
>>7889505
Sure
>>
>>7889554
Do you think megaupload would be worth it, like they do on /mu/? We could just share soulseek names. Going through the trouble of megaupload for <1MB seems silly for some reason. I have no idea what is the best way.
>>
>>7888883
I recently bought a kobo glo hd and so far it's absolutely awesome, just pirate a bunch of epubs and load them on there.
also got a cover for it which is quite nice too.
It's also a big plus that you have the ability to remove the back of it and expand the storage since its just a micro sd card in there. (you would still need to put the image on the new card since it has a hidden partition).

The thing is also an absolute botnet when you put it on wifi, i had a standby logo put in by the online store, and i removed it by hand but it got placed back whenever i connected to wifi. Also it sends all the books you read to their servers.

Nevertheless a great product though.

>>7889420
you probably can but in my experience it takes quite a bit of tinkering to get it to work properly.
>>
>>7888883
I have the Kobo Aura HD and it's the best purchase I ever made. I have a 2nd or 3rd gen. Kindle as well but I don't even know where it is.
>>
I have a question.

I like reading ebooks, but I'm broke as fuck and I can't seem to find the books I want in an online format. What do?
>>
I have a broken Nook. My parents are extremely fickle when it comes to technology, and even though this Nook works just fine, in color and everything, there's a hairline crack in it and my dad was going to throw it away. You can't even see the crack when you're looking at it dead-on. I think it's a few years old, but I can convert this bad boy into a PDF reader and make it my little pirate cove, right?
>>
>>7888387
>buying things
Why are you throwing paper away when you could be writing on it instead?

>select all images with trees
>>
>>7889645
>not using appchan X
>>
>>7889620
go for it, friend
>>
https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/717033781589204992

They're announcing the new Kindle next week, might as well wait and see if it's worth holding out for
>>
>>7889495
It's pretty much the same thing as the paperwhite 3. A tiny bit more customization and reads epubs but some prefer the kindle ui.
There's no huge difference, don't worry.
>>
>>7889584
Mediafire
>>
>>7889661
Oh boy
>>
>>7889505
I'm guessing you've checked here?
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
Almost everything is available.
>>
>>7888387

I prefer owning books simply because I like looking at the book-shelf in my room, scanning every book that I have already read, and getting flashes of the fond memories and what I took away from each book.

There is a real sense of accomplishment when you have a massive chunk of books that you know you have sat down and finished.
>>
>>7889850
Holy crap they have stuff I need.
WTF do I click on to download it?
>>
>>7889876
Just click on the file.
>>
>>7889877
OH MY GOD I'LL NEVER HAVE TO GO TO THE SHITTY HISPANIC LIBRARY AGAIN
>>
>>7889883
lol, happy to help bro.
>>
>>7889850
>http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
the trouble is finding things in mobi. i had to go through an old stormfront link to get eumeswil. i feel dirty.
i had previously used calibre to convert a pdf to mobi but the results were not ideal.
>>
>>7889908
Also I still can't find any Clement Rosset
>>
>>7890031
Press "fiction"

>>7889908
Trying to convert pdfs (especially those with images instead of text) is usually shit, epub to mobi is fine
>>
>>7888387

>torrent books
>backlit
>hyperlinked footnotes
>tap any word to define
>less cumbersome than any book over 300 pages

100% get one. I love mine.

>>7888419

Special offers are ads. I paid to remove them because I have an extreme hatred of advertising. It was worth every penny of the $20.
>>
Question: Is it better to get an ereader or AMOLED tablet?

I ask because it seem the tablet would be much more versatile, and AMOLED black background would solve most of the backlit problems.
>>
File: kindle.png (345 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kindle.png
345 KB, 1920x1080
>>7891824
Thanks, man/woman. I just ordered mine :^)

Do you read it in public? Any strange looks?
>>
First reading -> Kindle
Second reading -> Book

Be 21th century patrician
>>
>>7891993

Nice!

>Do you read it in public? Any strange looks?

Not this one in particular because I got it recently, but I had one of the really old white ones before (like 2nd generation) that I used for years, sometimes in public, and never got any strange looks or anything.
>>
>>7891961
I have a samsung galaxy 10.5 with amoled and while it's a great tablet and i use it constantly i much prefer my ebookreader for books. For anything else, like pdf's and stuff i use my tablet.
>>
kindle sucks. i feel like shit for buying it.

>page transitions are shit.
>lacks the feel of a book
>costs too much and does too little
>you will never own an extensive library or shelf filled with books

don't buy it. get real books.
>>
>>7892464
>page transitions are shit.
Older models were pretty slow but newer once only do a full flash once i a while and are way quicker than turning a page.

>lacks the feel of a book
No shit

>costs too much and does too little
Costs the same as about 5-8 books. If you read even a bit it's worth it.
I do agree that they are kind of pricy compared to a tablet though.

>you will never own an extensive library or shelf filled with books
Or you could do both. Kindle for massive reading and buying your favorite books. A kindle or equal is also a lot smaller and lighter than most books.
>>
>>7892476

>Costs the same as about 5-8 books. If you read even a bit it's worth it.

i'm not from murica. it costs roughly about the same as a 100 books here. mfw i need to read at least 100 more pirated books before the device gets fucked in order to make a profit.
>Or you could do both
why would you waste money on buying books that you've already read?
>>
I only use my Kindle to read books that I cannot find in any library/second-hand shop. It's very light, so it's easy to hold it during my classes at uni, so I usually only read in it when I'm there. (I'm a Law student, so I don't actually have to pay attention to anything in class.)

Other than that, it's pretty disgusting and useless. You cannot scribble on it.
>>
>>7889613
I personnaly use rutracker and what.cd to find whatever book I want to read, both databases are very large.
>>
>>7889613
>>7892493
>>>/cm/3005594
>>>/cm/3005595
Bibliotik recruitment is currently up on most sites like What.cd PU and PassThePopcorn. Unofficial invites on Animebytes (but they are currently out.)
What.cd is the easiest route.
>>
it looks like you already purchased, but getting it with special offers is the way to go. the ads only show up on the lock screen, aka when you're not actually using it, and if you find that they're unbearable (they're not), you can pay to get them removed from within the kindle's OS after you've already bought it.

it's great for reading in the dark and carrying a large library of books around with you at any given time (assuming you pirate books, which you should t.b.h). I've also bought a lot of books for kindle that I couldn't find anywhere else. good purchase, and also not expensive enough to feel wasteful if you don't use it to its absolute maximum potential. anyone suggesting otherwise is pedantic and immature
>>
>>7891993
Good cop, I have mine for over a year and it has been nothing but ease and enjoyment.
I wouldn't care much about odd stares in public - it is quite normal to browse websites on your tablet, just as it is normal reading on an e-reader nowadays.
>>
I have one because I like to hike and go camping. I also like reading it before bed. You can get most classics for free on it as well. If you read for about 30 minutes a night the thing will keep charged for about a month, making it great for vacations as it is so small. Paperwhites have awesome screens as well as it does really feel like paper which helps with immersion. I love mine but it can't beat a real book.
>>
The main reason I like my kindle is impulse reading.

If I randomly want to read something, its <5 minutes process from thought to actual reading if the book has been published digitally.

also fwiw, the special offers are not distracting at all, and you don't see them while reading. Not worth $20.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.