[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>really, really enjoy writing >don't know what to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 1441079094054.jpg (146 KB, 1000x760) Image search: [Google]
1441079094054.jpg
146 KB, 1000x760
>really, really enjoy writing
>don't know what to write about

What gives?
>>
Write about how you dont know what to wirte about :|
>>
Read more.
>>
Do more stuff.
>>
>>7887961
yeah, like drugs, or whatever
>>
>>7887883
you are young and probably have nothing to say
>>
I had zero interest in writing despite having talent so I went outside made a lot of poor decisions and did a lot of drugs which led to many absurd situations and much introspective progress. But about 10 years later that got boring so now I would rather sit at home and write about my experiences
>>
>>7888002
This is the true answer to every one of these threads. Great works that carry actual meaning and insight are pretty much never written by 20 somethings (which almost every one on /lit/ is)
>>
>>7887883
next time you're feeling thoughtful on your daily commute, make more of an effort to remember the thought so that you have something to start from when you sit down to write.

for now, go read something until it gives you a thought
>>
Do what every other thoughtless writer does: write a shitty twist on Tolkien
>>
File: 1444331408003.png (43 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1444331408003.png
43 KB, 645x773
>>7887883
>tfw no qt völkisch gf
>tfw probably too cromagnid for her anyway
>>
>>7888139
/r/ing that list that shows that most classic authors were published at 25 or younger
>>
>>7888139
>>7887961

I sort of disagree with this. The best works of any medium are abstract and purely aesthetic. You wouldn't think worldly experience would have any bearing on purely intellectual/art for arts' sake ideas.
>>
>>7888177
yea but he still needs something to say. an abstract idea is still an idea
>>
>>7888183
Right, I too need something to say. But am I going to find a new artistic aesthetic by playing the corporate game or socializing more?

For the time being, I just want to read all I can.
>>
>>7888191
>For the time being, I just want to read all I can
this is a respectable approach
>>
>>7888043
You sound like a boring old man. Nobody wanna hear your faggy stories.
>>
>>7888177
This to be honest. Confederacy of Dunces was written by a 26 year old. Frankenstein was written by a 18 year old.
>>
Hunter S Thompson re-wrote books from Hemmngway, Fitzgerald, Faulkner word for word to get a understanding of the rhythm of writing,
>>
>>7888557
More info on this.
>>
>>7888167
you're making a false equivalency
don't give me a classic author, give me a classic work that was written when the author was 25 or younger
that list will be considerably smaller
>>
>>7888043
pretty much what the other guy said
>>
you should keep a journal and write about your dreams and sexual experiences. Make little steps to make your life more interesting, like consider moving to a foreign country.
>>
>>7888167
People were so much more intelligent back then though.
>>
When I'm stuck for ideas, I just dramatize past parts of my life, write them down until I'm bored, then delete them. By then I've usually thought of something worthwhile.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 570x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 570x533
Take a theme and give it form.

>writing a story
>the main theme is about the human tendency to declare/see humanity as evil and awful
>the form is basically The Dirty Dozen in Medieval Serbia/Byzantium
>the
>>
File: 1397388944179.gif (939 KB, 336x248) Image search: [Google]
1397388944179.gif
939 KB, 336x248
>tfw 18 years old and getting ready to go through the formative experiences to give me a life with source material I can use to make great works
How do I ensure I don't fuck this up /lit/
>>
>>7891538
Die.

You can't fuck up if you're dead.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 353x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 353x533
>>7891541
I have given that a good deal of thought and actually attempted to accomplish it before. Maybe later in my life, after lots of drugs.
>>
>>7891538
Don't trust amazon's reviews. Don't trust goodreads' reviews. Don't trust /r/books' reviews. Trust /lit/'s reviews.
>>
>>7887883
You're just not talented. As a talented writer, I'm constantly consumed with possible things to discuss and investigate with my rapier-pen. It's one of the little things that makes me so great
>>
>>7891538
Unfortunately, you're a fan of Kanye West and will probably never produce anything of value. I'd suggest abandoning your fantasies of being a writer
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.