[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there typically major differences between the Penguin "Modern"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: RecsCover1.jpg (42 KB, 156x240) Image search: [Google]
RecsCover1.jpg
42 KB, 156x240
Are there typically major differences between the Penguin "Modern" Classics and the Penguin "20th Century" Classics editions of a book?
The one I've bought (pic related) is from the latter, but it was published in the same year as the "Modern" Classics edition.
>>
>>7887872
what an unfortunate cover
>>
>>7887915
>being this pleb
>>
>>7887915

I would chuckle if the cover were the only difference between the editions.
>>
>>7887915
It comes from the Portinari Triptych, and given Gaddis's goals with the book it's an appropriate cover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portinari_Altarpiece
>>
>>7887985
It is.
>>
File: 9780140187083-us-300.jpg (31 KB, 300x480) Image search: [Google]
9780140187083-us-300.jpg
31 KB, 300x480
>>7888163
To be fair, the covers are vastly different. By the way, can anyone post Gass's intro from the Dalkey Archive edition? I ordered pic related because I heard bad things about Dalkey Archive's typesetting in their edition of The Recognitions, but theirs is the only one with Gass's intro as far as I can tell.
>>
>>7887872
I checked, and apparently this one >>7888170 has 20 more pages than the one with the cover you posted. For what it's worth, the one with your cover has the same page count as the first edition.

That being said, pagination might not really be indicative of anything in and of itself.
>>
>>7888170

My edition has Gass's intro as well (of course, we're here wondering what differences between them are). I wonder why the 20 page difference.
>>
>>7887872
Modern Classics is British and 20th Century Classics is American. I think. We don't have Penguin Modern Classics in our book stores in America.
>>
>>7888529

That would be a bit of a relief (I think). Nothing against the British aspect, but if I'm reading an American author, it would be nice to have an American edition of his work. Although I still wonder if that would be enough to account for the difference in pagination.
>>
>>7889603
I think they're just printed in a different size. Like when comparing my Penguin 20th Century Classics editions of Gravity's Rainbow and Finnegans Wake to the standard black label penguin classics, they're different in terms of page sizes and the like. The black label ones use smaller pages I think.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.