[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My idea for a story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: adfa.jpg (63 KB, 525x618) Image search: [Google]
adfa.jpg
63 KB, 525x618
( picked this photo so people would click and read )

Instead of it being about someone with writers block, or a story about a writer

its about a guy who is afraid to write because he won't like it, not because other people wont like it.

of course thats not a new idea

whats new is that he presents the possibility that stories have always existed and "writers" and the possibility of "writing" is an illusion invented to explain where stories come from.

maybe he thinks that if you are selfish enough to try to make a story that people will enjoy, there will be some ultimate punishment, maybe death.

of course, it would be stupid if the story is about that. because thats ridiculous.

my idea is to have a story where we wonder if this main character actually believes that or is just so scared of not being good that he actually doesnt try to write.
and the story here would be that someone else has begun to wonder about this, or maybe they know what happens, and the story and dialogue would happen with these two guys, in the library where the main guy is deciding whether or not he can write.
>>
nice butt
>>
>>7887725
Seconded
>>
her butt looks cool
>>
>>7887736
ty bump
>>
> ( picked this photo so people would click and read )

didn't read
>>
>>7887805
don't blame ya sailor

but read the last part at least I guess
>>
READ IT BUMP
>>
Love the butt
>>
i love butt
>>
File: 2345212.gif (554 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
2345212.gif
554 KB, 295x221
>writing about writing
>even when it's this obfuscated
>>
>>7887720
Thanks a lot now I got a chubby
>>
>>7887902
it really wouldn't be about writing that much. it'll be about the character. and then the 2nd character and their convos

and the nature of the library they're in, and all the people, whether this is him actually being in the story, or if it's possible that we're seeing him some other way
>>
>whats new is that he presents the possibility that stories have always existed and "writers" and the possibility of "writing" is an illusion invented to explain where stories come from.

that's not really new (cf. Borgesian conundrum).

Writers' fear was a pretty big theme in Bolaño’s 2666 (a writer who was heavily influenced by Borges). However, I'm not familiar with a story that poses the question: is the writer afraid of his work's influence or of failure?

Even if what you're proposing isn't as original as you might think, that doesn't mean you shouldn't write it. I like the idea and I think you should explore the writers I've mentioned.
>>
>>7887902
it's really about the separation between reader and author

like maybe trying to be in that in-between space

and actually it's about the act of trying and earnestness and sincerity and mediocrity and narcissism
>>
I do have to add, I ask myself all the time that question (is the writer afraid of his work's influence or of failure?)
>>
>>7887922
thank you for this.

I figured I'd get more help by asserting its new
rather than asking if it is.
>>
>>7887928
but also I'm not talking about influence. I'm saying the fantastical idea that writers are actually not real.

but not presenting it as fantasy obviously. there's a lot of things that I am smart enough to do that I can't explain
>>
>>7887939

I highly suggest you check out 2666. It's a huge book, but not at all a slow read (1100+ pages took me two months). Toward the end there's a conversation between two writers at the end of WW2. One of them says explicitly, "Inside of writers there is nothing."
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 640x466) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 640x466
>>7887992
i will after i BUMP
>>
wow awesome butt great marketing
>>
>>7888079
ty
what do you think of the idea

i honestly think that what i have written is interesting and whether or not people think its good, they wont be bored

and they may even compliment it for not being drowned in influences
>>
>>7887992
its also about how words presented as a story or in a book are inherently more interesting
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.