[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a Brandon Sanderson hate thread? Everywhere I go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: i-vVtgTc4-2100x20000.jpg (393 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
i-vVtgTc4-2100x20000.jpg
393 KB, 2100x1052
Can we have a Brandon Sanderson hate thread? Everywhere I go everyone seems to ride his dick even though his books are worse than ass cancer.
>>
dont talk about shitty authors or give them attention
>>
>>7886986
>Brandon Sanderson

literally, who? don't make me look him up on wikipedia.
>>
Brandon Sanderson is my least favorite sort of author: one whose works leave me with the strong suspicion that I could have done a better job myself.
>>
>>7886986
nobody cares, now go read a book.
>>
he's plebby af but so are most fantasy readers.
>>
I'm reading The Way of Kings right now, it's pretty good.

I also loved the Mistborn trilogy

What's wrong with Sanderson or his books?
>>
>>7888324
To me it's the way he names things. Everything has an edgy af name.
>>
Sanderson writes YA-level pablum.

Fantasy authors like Guy Gavriel Kay are in a different league.
>>
>>7888324
is he the guy who pioneered the wizards' use of two wands at the same time?

wow, double-wanding. cool as fuck.
>>
>>7888788

Double wanding is cool
>>
I still remember when /lit/ trolled me into reading Mistborn.
Whoever that was, I hope you had a chuckle.
>>
>>7890157

I read the Mistborn and I loved it, why did you dislike it?
>>
>>7890157

Uh oh

I just bought mistborn
>>
>>7890192
>>7890754
It's fine for genre fiction and the covers are dope, but its pretty bland and the ending is cheesy af.
>>
>>7890766
>It's fine for genre fiction

Isn't that the point?
>>
I don't quite particularly like the way women are treated in the cosmere novels, and how they are regarded and talked to
>>
>>7888431

>Guy gavriel kay

Woo woo. I loved Lions of Al-Rassan and the Irish-Viking-Anglo-Saxon hubaloo I forget the name of. Aside of Chinese warfare in the t'ang era being presented as crouching tiger hidden dragon All Under Heaven was fantastic when it came to the political intrigue and shit.
>>
I would rather read *shudder* non-fiction than lazy, derivative fantasy.

>>7888319
The majority of any people are plebby. That's kinda the definition.
>>
>>7891494
Check out "The Sarantine Mosaic" - possibly his best.
>>
>>7891484
What's wrong? Can't handle feminism?
>>
>>7891570
>The Sarantine Mosaic

Will do. Had a hunch by the name it was Belisarius/Justinian era but I am not sure if that is the focus.

As for fiction, I'm not usually one to visit /lit/ and I can tolerate some generic fantasy more than most but I can highly recommend the non fantasy pseudo-narrative nonfiction of Harold Lamb. Turn of the century author contemporary to REH or Lovecraft but I'd think a far more professional and educated one. I loved his nonfiction more than his fiction because of the way he wove historical facts and depictions with narrative storytelling - it's not a textbook, it's not a traditional narrative story but some hybrid of the two.

In particular Iron Men and Saints (Crusades), Flame of Islam (late Crusades), Genghis Khan and Tamerlane are my favorites of his.

If I ever get around to writing muh fiction I'd be more influenced by Robert E Howard and Harold Lamb than GRRM and the like
>>
I'm about half-way through the second book in the Mistborn trilogy.

Zane is super edgy and I don't care about stupid politics, when are they going to get to the world-ending factory

Also the Lord Ruler was cool, why did he have to die
>>
>>7891667
>Also the Lord Ruler was cool, why did he have to die

Because they wanted to doom themselves.
Also you will find out why :)
A lot of the questions get answered near the end and the other book from that crew leader's perspective
>>
>>7891613

Nope
>>
LOL
>>
>Females are smart in his novels

Why do authors keep doing this?
It doesn't work that way in reality
>>
>>7894383
So they can trick actual females into buying their books.
>>
>>7894383
>It doesn't work that way in reality

yes it does
>>
>hate thread
why the fuck would you do this

>>>/v/ ??
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.