[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or is this not very well written? The dialogue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Is it just me, or is this not very well written? The dialogue especially seems really stiff and empty, and with a lot of "he said sadly, he said frustratingly"

I just started it and it's really engrossing, but I'm hoping the writing isn't too distracting as I get deeper into it.
>>
>>7886058

Genre fiction is never well written
>>
tolkien a shit. same fandom with star wars...
>>
i like the style. maybe it's because it's literally one of the first books i ever read by myself, but it feels comfy in a somewhat old fashioned but sincere way.
>>
>>7886058
Patricians know The Hobbit to be his best work. It's also more comfy.
>>
>>7886081
I guess I assumed this would be different since it's considered such a classic and Tolkien had some literary chops.
>>
>>7886058
It's like you've never read ancient literature.
>>
The world building is the main draw of LOTR
>>
I think it's overly detailed and incredibly dull. I don't mind it as a vessel for Tokien's new languages, but I'd almost rather just read a primer on how to speak them.
>>
>>7886058
>reading anything without looking at context
Tolkien intentionally wanted the language to be that way to resemble Old English style of writing.
>>
>>7886565
This. I think it is written fine, you just need to understand that what we think of as good writing come from conventions that are pretty recent. Criticising The Iliad, Gilgamesh, or the contents of the bible for not adhering to modern writing conventions would be absurd (not to say you couldn't argue they are badly written).
>>
>>7886081
What nonsense. Writing genre fiction doesn't render itself to bad use of language. You may argue that the sort of writers genre fiction attracts lack talent in the literary sense, but that doesn't mean you can pass the absolute judgment that ALL genre fiction is badly written.

Beside which, there is more to Lord of the Rings than the language used and the flowing of the text. It wasn't created to be good, sublime prose. It was created to show the world, to convey emotions and tell a story. In my opinion, it does that very well, regardless of how you view the text line by line
>>
>>7886058

It's awful if you're trying to read it like a story. It's supposed to be read like the old myths or sagas.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.