[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone study or work in journalism here? I'm considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1455962984412.jpg (332 KB, 2000x2724) Image search: [Google]
1455962984412.jpg
332 KB, 2000x2724
Does anyone study or work in journalism here?

I'm considering it as a career, but I've not sure about what the industry is like and the types of positions that are available
>>
>>7884688
sauce?
>>
Man, boobs are pretty great.

what were we talking about
>>
>>7884716
Feet>tits tbqh
>>
>>7884716
We were talking about books I think. Boobs are great.
>>
>>7884688
It is all rubbish, look for another line of work.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (2 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
2 KB, 126x126
>>7884711
>>7884716
>>7884720
>>7884723
>>
>>7884724
care to elaborate?

while some journalism is evidently fill/trash, there must be nieche journalists connected to industries or interests who put out sensible work

and publishers who arn't pollitical anglers
>>
in order to get anywhere as a journalist today, you have to be earlobe-deep in social media. all of it. not just facebook, twitter and reddit, ALL OF IT. every last tiny stupid insignificant public pissing trough the net has, you have to not only have an account there, you have to know all the movers and shakers.

on top of that, the chances of getting actual cash for your work - real money you can pay the rent in - is vanishingly small. many sites expect you to work for the exposure, which means they'll pass your article on to a hundred other sites like vox.com, vice, fusion, aeon, rawstory, motherboard, boing boing, wired and quanta, and they'll all use it and you won't get a cent for it.

if you're really lucky they'll offer you something like 1/100th of a bitcoin for eight thousand original, researched, witty and easy-reading text.
>>
>>7884720
The mind of a person interested in legs and feet is very different from the mind of a person who’s interested in breasts. Breast men tend to be aggressive, outgoing, athletic whereas people who like the lower body tend to be frightened introverted… It all has to do with being down on the floor when you are a scared little child and looking up at that big tower of mommy. What’s down there? The feet and the legs. That’s where the security is. Women go around feeling victimized by men all the time. They feel like the men have the power. And the area where women can take the power from men is through sex. Men, because they have that fetishtic twist to their minds, because they have the ability to concentrate on one thing to the exclusion of all else, can really be manipulated sexually, while women are not susceptible.
>>
>>7884688
pooop scooop malooop
i talked to a guy in journalism at a HS careers expo a while ago and he said it was pretty good, pretty hard to find jobs but he said anyone who is actually passionate and dedicated (and good) should be able to get a job
>>
>>7884745
... eight thousand original, researched, witty and easy-reading WORDS of text, i meant.

oh, also, you aren't allowed to offend anybody. do that shit and you are GONE.
>>
>>7884747
>he said anyone who is actually passionate and dedicated (and good) should be able to get a job

heh, heh. yeah. we say that a lot, mainly because we like watching the novensides struggling valiantly before they drown in debt and bitter disillusion.

we bought the lie, and then we choked on it. why should any of you escape? fuck no. one day you are going to be just as angry as we are.
>>
>>7884745

I've not tried to get into journalism really, but I've gotten a few feature articles in magazines and I got $400-500 for 900 words or so in each.

That was in recent years and without much effort on my part.

Like I said I'm not a journalist, but to me it sounds like your approach has been completely wrong. Were you just spamming shitty articles to crappy websites and hoping they'd pay you big bucks for them or something?
>>
>>7884720
yeah man, the ones in that pic are pretty neato

>>7884746
for some

for others its the defenselessness and submission of the person whos feet are bared. highly sensitive, rarely exposed, fascinatingly complex part of the body.
>>
>>7884745
I have heard that variously from writers, apparently they don't have a great union

I hear that many get stuck in penning copy-paste, excerpt heavy generic issue material just to meet quota mandates while they work on something of actual substance
>>
It's cancer work. Don't do it unless you have real passion. If you have to ask you don't
>>
>>7884787

That's just the reality of working in just about industry, but especially a creative one.

You eat shit for about 10 years doing menial tasks and spend all your free time trying to make something of value.

I don't know why people think writing is some career that should immediately provide them a good wage. It's so bizarre.

Nobody thinks, 'Oh, I'm going to go become a lawyer. In the next two years I should be making good money.'

But for some reason kids with 0 experience think becoming a writer is instantaneous. I guess they've bought lies about it being some magical calling and not a craft and a career like every other occupation on the planet.

The best part if when you meet some bitter failed writer and it's clear they didn't actually do anything. I guess they thought working 40-50 hours a week was optional or something.

If you're not writing at least half a million words a year of something or other then you're not even trying.
>>
>>7884761
For me it's about those spasms they get when the girl is experiencing pleasure. (+ everything you said)
>>
>>7884791
well I've been interested in news journalism since I was very young, I watch the news on six channels daily and follow the meta-news analysis going around where I can

I'm want to know if there is actually a career to be had, or if it's better kept as a hobby
>>
>>7884805
That stuff too, definitely. Feet are so emotive, like hands.

>when they curl their toes
hng
>>
>>7884744
If you can't spell niche, then you are perfect for it. No need for me to elaborate. Enjoy.
>>
Did it freelance for a bit, got paid decently well, discovered I am way too fucking lazy to be a journalist, freelance or otherwise
>>
>>7884812
T-this desu!
>>
>>7884814
you must be one of those bitter ex-writers I hear so much about
>>
>>7884818
what subjects did you write on, and who paid you if I can ask?
>>
>>7884688
I studied it in college for a few years. I was fortunate enough to be closely associated with a lot of metal heads and punks in San Francisco and Oakland who hooked me up with an internship at a distributed zine from out of that area. If it had not been for that, I fear where my college education would NOT have taken me.

It was the 4 years of solid intern work with the zine that got me my job at a social media publication company in the beginning of 2015. I made a decent amount of money as a professional writer using some of the same journalist experiences I've acquired and still utilize in the music media industry.

I didn't graduate, so I can't go into any interview with a degree to my name. Basically it's just luck and hard experience that pulled me through.

My encouragement to you is to try really hard to find an internship, and do it before you leave college. It could be at the least relevant place in the world, but it's a start, and if you show effort for several years you may be a beacon to anyone out there in the major leagues somewhere down the road. When you show up to an employer with that experience on your resume, it says a lot about you, and how dedicated you are not as a student but as a hard knuckled worker. They want that.
>>
>>7884688
>>7884834

cont.

The industry is in a state of chaos and change right now with the digital age, but that's not to say that there aren't some positive reformations going on. There's certainly a lot of opportunities out there on the Internet, and it seems like there's no stoppage to blogs taking advantage of social media and viral content. So you can find something somewhere in any field and write bullshit for half of your life, and get paid, but you can also find a job at a respected paper, or you can find nothing at all. There's no guarantee and it's all down to luck.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 260x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 260x321
>>7884688
>anyone work in journalism here?
>anyone work here?
>work?
>Pic related
>>
>>7884826
well I don't know

I read the papers mainly, but I follow profesional news outlets online because I can't get them in print

I feel like journalism is what sells, that's an industry
there is evidently a place for populism
>>
>>7884834
>>7884842
thanks for the words guys
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
Be a leftist/marxist/cuck/femicunt/muslimsofeverlastingpeace/blackfecesmatter fag with muh narrative, snarkuments, lie, project, double down, crybully your way into the upper echelon of peacemeal dregs soundbite clickbait hustle.
There, journalism.
>>
>>7884688
niiiice any more picz of her, preferably with some ass/pussy too?
>>
Not sure about the rest of the world, but here in the Netherlands journalism is considered a huge meme. Even respected journalists laugh at kids going to college for journalism when they could just start working for a local paper / radio station / whatever
>>
>>7884823

Everyone is bitter on 4chan, because we're all so much better than everyone else, and the stupid world doesn't realize our potential.
>>
>>7885124
Butthurt beta male loser detected
>>
>>7885522
He sounds pretty accurate to me.
>>
>>7885531
Well, that's because you're also a butthurt beta

This is basic stuff you guys come on
>>
>>7884688
>friends go into STEM
>can't find jobs, the few that do still live with parents
>be me 6'4, 250 pounds, 6% bf
>go to school for journalism
>400k a year, live in mansion and drive Porche
>>
>>7884688
i worked for a city paper for nearly a year before realizing journalism wasn't for me. i found it rather tedious, to be frank. there's virtually zero creativity involved and the pay was rather abysmal. not to mention when i was there, we went through two rounds of lay-offs and everyone was afraid the internet would ruin the paper, which it kind of did. funny part was, everyone in the paper knew the only recourse to prevent the massive subscription losses were to transition into a net-focused platform but the paper failed to transfer or invest any capital on the venture.

anyways, yeah, i guess it's a noble career path if you're into reporting.
>>
>>7885564
I'm having trouble believing this
>>
File: 1446920719985.jpg (457 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1446920719985.jpg
457 KB, 1280x960
Currently studying journalism at City University London

AMA
>>
>>7885564
Bruce Kent ?
>>
>>7884827
don't want to get specific on the extremely off chance that I could be ID'ed, but the best pay came from one of the big US newspapers. less but still appreciable amounts of money from the content mills/online wings of respectable publications.
>>
>>7885718
Can I borrow thirty quid until the 18th?
>>
>>7884711
Andrew Brady. He paints a lot of qts, I think.
>>
>>7884688
Great. Another critic. Just what the world needs.
>>
>>7885997
If you promise to pay back forty
>>
>>7886153
No problem.
>>
It's an awful cutthroat industry full of despicable people and miserable work
>>
>>7886164
If I can just take your back account details...
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.