[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Children's Lit Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: deepwoods.jpg (27 KB, 260x409) Image search: [Google]
deepwoods.jpg
27 KB, 260x409
Children's and Teen books. Leave that YA bullshit at the door.

Saw a thread talking about this one earlier this week and remembered how awesome it was. Post your favorite kid's lit books and discuss.

>How to Eat Fried Worms
>Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing
>Edge Chronicles
>>
>>7884200
Edge chronicles us fucking great, the Quint trilogy was clearly the best
>>
>>7884291
I actually enjoyed the Rook trilogy, really kind of post-apocalyptic feel... Y'know, for a series with no basis in earth whatsoever.
Curse of the Gloamglozer was great, but I had trouble getting through Winter Knights.
>>
>>7884200
The edge Chronicles were the shit homie. I kind of want to read them again but I definitely dont have them anymore.
>>
File: 71Tn8Dzb8+L.jpg (167 KB, 826x1200) Image search: [Google]
71Tn8Dzb8+L.jpg
167 KB, 826x1200
>>7884354
Same. I donated them to my local library because they had horrible book selection, and I assumed I was going to be in the area for a few more years.

I want them back. Goddammit.
Wonder how easy they'd be accessible online.

BTW anyone ever read this book?

I... Just found out it has an animated series.
Why does it have an animated series?
>>
File: 0026.jpg (331 KB, 700x926) Image search: [Google]
0026.jpg
331 KB, 700x926
>>
>>
>>7884345
Rook trilogy was pretty badass, freeglader was mad hype that final battle was amazing
>>
>>7884377
And goddamn could he write a strong female character.

>>7884376
Fuck yeah wind in the willows motherfucker.
>>
>>7884383
Oh man Paul Stewart pretty much nailed good female characters in children's books, I always had a crush on the Stone Pilot as a kid she was badass
>>
I was thinking about Keys to the Kingdom the other day, is there anything else with a similar metaphysical kitchen sink setting?
>>
File: maniacmagee.jpg (8 KB, 183x276) Image search: [Google]
maniacmagee.jpg
8 KB, 183x276
Jerry Spinelli, man. This was my anthem.
>>
>>7884200
I fucking loved those books as a kid. Whenever I read the books I felt a driving curiosity of wanting to know more about that world that I rarely experienced with other fantasy novels. I still haven't read some of the later ones, but now getting around to them for nostalgia's sake is in my mind.
>>
Anyone else here read Series of Unfortunate Events? They're kind of like Nabokov books for kids.
>>
>>7884567
Read 'em, loved 'em. My flatemates and I were talking about them the other day oddly enough. Dark as shit for kids though
>>
>>7884482
Loser is GOAT
>>
>>7884567
I was never really sure if I was satisfied with the ending. I didn't know any other way that they could end it, but I felt like he left a lot of loose ends. I heard that all of those got wrapped up in The Beatrice Letters, but reading those is really difficult for a kid. You basically just get a file folder jammed full of stuff. Good luck taking that out of a library.
>>
Momo by Michael Ende, loved it when I was younger. Fairly dark, but awesome, it is the kind of book to make you think.
>>
>>7885218
What's it about? I'm gonna guess some kind of Japanese theme.
>>
Well, basically it is about a young girl living in one of those amfitheatres with a pet turtle.(If I remeber it correctly) One day, mysterious men show up and try to convince people to "save time" in their time bank.

It essentially discusses modern society and peoples obsession with being effective and to save time, all neatly wrapped up in a good little story.
>>
I'd highly recommend these books to anyone who enjoys lemony snicket.
>>
>>7885256
Weird.
I really like children's lit, so maybe I'll check it out. Kids' books can always be shockingly deep but very easy to read, so it's kind of relaxing instead of furrowing my brow over Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids or some shit.

Except The Giver. Fuck The Giver.
>>
>>7885272
Will read. Fucking love Snicket.

Speaking of, has anyone heard any more news about Netflix's supposed SOUE project?
>>
>>7885277
Nevermind, just looked it up, it premieres in August and NEIL PATRICK HARRIS is Olaf.
>>
I read the Harry Potter series twice growing up. I tried reading other books, likebut I got bored. I'm pretty sure I have autism.
>>
>>7885296
>NEIL PATRICK HARRIS is Olaf.

wut.

any pictures of that yet?
>>
>>7885840
Not yet.
>>
I'm completely broke and I miss my Edge Chronicles books.

Anyone know where I can read them?
>>
>>7884200
I recently decided to read all 54 Animorphs books (I never read them as a child). I've already read the first three and I can see why they were so popular. It's basically a TV show. Each book is short and simple and the plot feels almost exactly like one episode of a series. I hope the books were cheap when they came out.

>>7885296
>NEIL PATRICK HARRIS is Olaf.
there goes my hype
>>
>>7887229
Clearly you didn't see him in Dr. Horrible.

I watched Animorphs as a kid. The fucking slugs crawling into people's ears thing was terrifying.
>>
File: BkCressidaCowell.jpg (571 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
BkCressidaCowell.jpg
571 KB, 750x750
These books are comfy as shit.
>>
>>7887314
I liked the movie. How are the books told?
>>
>>7887329
Okay minor spoilers in how they differ
>Hiccup is a ginger
>His best friend is Fishlegs, who is not fat, but a skinny wimp and gets sick all the time
>Toothless is now a really, small, common dragon, who can talk to Hiccup and is very mischevious
>>
>>7887334
Hiccup looks like a ginger in the movies.
>>
>>7887340
Really? I've always seen it as more of a brown, but that could just be me being a self-inserting piece of shit

Regardless each book is written better than the last. It's very mature for a lighthearted kids book.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.