[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to write a book about a man who wants to fight the sun,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 825x593) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 825x593
I want to write a book about a man who wants to fight the sun, everyone tells him he can't do it, but he does and he wins. How can I go about this?
>>
>>7884090

If you are asking here you are too uncreative to write it in the first place

Also the premise sounds dumb.
>>
>>7884097
Do you not think you could fight the sun?
>>
>>7884090
he puts his hand up to it, blocking it out from his sight. or he walls himself up in a windowless room, where no light shines. have your story center on talks about human subjectivity.
>>
>>7884102
ahab plz
>>
>>7884102

Fine I will give you an answer.

He closes his window blinds and keeps posting on 4chan instead of doing something productive. He beats the sun from giving him proper vitamin D, thus the main character (the fag) turns into a white gay vampire and goes around town sucking people's dicks in the night.
>>
File: 1446164659058.png (21 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1446164659058.png
21 KB, 900x900
>>7884090
After he beats the sun, everyone dies because now there is no more light.

Is this your sick idea of morals op?
>>
>>7884124
Wait so your cool with me writing your biography?
>>
>>7884125
pretty sure if he destroyed the sun, we wouldn't die from a lack of light.
>>
Hero wins. Untethered Earth freezes, drifts...everyone loses. I struggle with your metaphor, Don Quixote.
>>
>>7884125
They get what they deserve for not believing in him
>>
Just out of curiosity: you read mostly superhero stories, right?
>>
>>7884132
Okay, fine, they die because of supernova.
>>
>>7884148
Do you even gravity, bro?
>>
Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.

>>7884110 beat me to it
>>
Come on, man, if it's surrealist/magic realist you can do whatever you want as long as your themes match up and your prose is pretty (and your name ends in -ez). He can't reach the sun so he buys a ladder, the ladder man keeps his sun-high ladders locked in the storeroom unless sunpuncher marries his ugly daughter, the daughter is actually a male howler monkey, and so on, and so forth, until he realizes the sun is actually hiding under manholes at night, he steals a gas tanker and pours it all into the sewer drains, the sun doesn't rise so he figures he's killed it but he feels empty and everything starts to freeze. There you go.
>>
this would be a great poem if you added thermonuclear war or something. An entire story about this would come off as shitty big budget hollywood
>>
the story is an allegory for the endless destructive appetite of mankind. not content with weapons that can decimate their planet, they want ones that can literally destroy the solar system.

your protagonist is a fritz zwicky-type weirdo: eccentric but intelligent. a physicist of some kind. while doing normal work, by night he researches deep into generating antimatter, perhaps the one feasible way a person could "fight" the sun and win.

he discovers that under certain extreme conditions, wormholes are generated that connect to a part of the universe that seems to consist solely of antimatter, and it is possible to collect the flow of particles coming through it into a safe electromagnetic hub.

soon, he's working on a suit that can contain huge amounts (kilograms) of antimatter. unfortunately he needs tonnes of the stuff so he also builds a ship to carry it. but he will be doing the fighting.

armed with an enormous antimatter rifle, he sets off into space to fight the sun. and he wins. the world is doomed, but really, friend, it always was.
>>
Book ends with a twist

The main character was Abraham all along. The sun is demon masquerading as god Apollo. Abraham, with the help of Yahweh, defeats Apollo, thus obeying Yahweh's command of "ripping down the idols"

But the majority of the narrative takes place as an underdog of a man barely scraping through the challenges on his journey to face the sun.
>>
>>7884518
also, it turns out the sun is sentient. it "wakes up" after he starts attacking and tries fighting back with beams of plasmotic hydrogen. but it is too big and slow, and he is too swift and tiny. this way it can be a real fight, you know? after the sun is destroyed, the other stars become aware and declare war on humanity.
>>
>>7884535
Oh and don't listen to fags that say to read the Golding translation because "Shakespeare read it". You can read it for the literary value, but its so inaccurate that its no longer Ovid. Also, its a challenging read to me
>>
>>7884565
fug wrong thread
>>
>>7884566
No, your contribution was still welcome.
>>
>>7884471
Leguin?
>>
>>7884124
>thus the main character (the fag)
KEK
>>
File: B7qOpuaIQAA0s0q.jpg (29 KB, 599x383) Image search: [Google]
B7qOpuaIQAA0s0q.jpg
29 KB, 599x383
>make the whole story allegorical
>guy takes lsd and fights the sun
first premise sounds less stupid
>>
File: complex_celtic_cross.jpg (81 KB, 400x566) Image search: [Google]
complex_celtic_cross.jpg
81 KB, 400x566
>>7884090

This son beat the sun.
>>
Just be really vague about the actual mechanics of the fight. You can talk about how he's struggling and the sun attacks and he manages to somehow parry it and turn the tables and before he knows it the battle is going his way and the sun is on the ropes.
>>
>>7885929
both at once is even better
>>7885958
especially with this kind of allegory, he should take acid, climb up a tree to fight the sun(god), discover that he is satan, discover that he is jesus, lose touch with reality for a while, come down from the tree, go back to life as usual, then three days later smoke some weed at a party and ascend bodily to heaven
>>
>>7884165
No sun = very limited heat sources (currently)
No sun = no chlorophyll = no plants = fucked up predatory cycle, and extreme extinction of many species.
Not to mention the freezing oceans and all other fucked up shit.
You're a troll, but seriously, this idea is fucking stupid as shit.
No one cognizant enough to go about destroying the sun would ever seriously attempt to destroy the sun, they'd sooner kill themselves, or kill a couple other guys before becoming imprisoned.
>>
it's edgy

unless Melville does it of course
>>
File: what .jpg (31 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
what .jpg
31 KB, 505x431
but you literally CANNOT EVEN fight the sun
your book ideas is sof FUCKING retarded
wouldnt you think of how dumb your whole thing sounds before committing your text to a thread
>>
Simple...have Ahab shoot a giant load of pearly-white sunscreen right on that ol sun's whore face.
>>
>>7884090
Give him a few trillion lions and he'll have a shot at it
>>
>>7886472
Not with that attitude, my negroid. If you shoot at it long enough, it will go down, but it reappears the next day like a fucking zombie though.
>>
>>7884090
Dumb idea try something else. Unless he metaphorically beats the sun.
>>
>>7884090
Love it, OP. fug tha haters.

Do you know the Russian futurist drama Victory Over the Sun? I thin it's from 1917 but I know little of it but that it represents a desire for transcendence and likely also a revolutionary spirit.
>>
>>7886472
>mimetic realism
how old-hat, male progeny of same parents as my own
>>
>>7884090

John the Baptist, after torturing a thief
Looks up at his hero, the Commander-in-Chief
Saying, "Tell me, great hero, but please make it brief
Is there a hole for me to get sick in?"

The Commander-in-Chief answers him while chasing a fly
Saying, "Death to all those who would whimper and cry"
And, dropping a barbell, he points to the sky
Saying, "The sun's not yellow, it's chicken"
>>
>>7884090
it is simple, he attacks at the night
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.