[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good novels about transexuals/transgenders?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
Are there any good novels about transexuals/transgenders?
>>
File: 1451539125966.png (526 KB, 764x705) Image search: [Google]
1451539125966.png
526 KB, 764x705
>good novels
>transexuals/transgenders
>>
>>7884036
>g
>o
>o
>d
>n
>o
>v
>e
>l
>s
>a
>b
>o
>u
>t
>t
>r
>a
>n
>s
>e
>x
>u
>a
>l
>s

pick one
>>
>>7884036
it's a hip current topic in youth culture, a nice literary exploration of it would be much appreciated.
>>
Not with that kind of grammar.

Serious answer? Yes. But 99/100 of them are all about this inane self-hatred all trannies have, and I experience enough of that to not need to read about it.
Like, if I was a businessman would I really want to read about some dude whose entire life revolves around his business? Fuck no.
Same with tranny stories. That's ALL they ever are. I hate myself, I want to die, I thought life was good and then no, it sucks, everything sucks, life sucks, wah wah wah wah wah.
>>
>>7884030
Twelfth Night is p. good
>>
>>7884056
Then write it
>>
Real answer? Probably.

But 99/100 of them are all chock full of this inane self-hatred that all trannies seem to have, and iced with fucking rape. Yes, trannies hate themselves. I don't want to read about it. It's depressing and not in a good way, just makes me angry. Every single book I've read with trannies as the main focus is all self-hatred. I hate myself, i hate life, i hate love, why doesn't anyone love me, why can't they accept me, hate hate hate angst angst angst wah wah wah wah wah.

GOD, just shut up. Gimme a book without that, and maybe I'll read it.
>>
>>7884057
>>7884078
I think there's been a glitch in the matrix
>>
>>7884078
Holy shit none of the posts were loading, sorry for double.
>>
>>7884057
>>7884078
I'm drunk and high right now and I am WEIRDED OUT
>>
>>7884030
How about Middlesex?

It's not really tg but more hermaphrodite and gender identity.
>>
>>7884043
s
>>
the queen is dead. short story. hubert selby. jr.

also, funnily enough, there's probably a good amount of arabic literature about trans persons.
>>
>>7884030
Silence of the Lambs.
>>
>>7884107
This is probably the best you're gonna get on the gender identity subject
>>
>>7884134
Buffalo Bill is not transgender. He is a crossdresser, transvestite. HUGE difference.

Vestite from the word vestment, clothing.
>>
>>7884140
no, it's pretty shit. it falls into heteronormative essentialism. reading transgender literature by cis straight retards is idiotic. stone butch blues is a much better and truthful portrait of transgenderism.
>>
>>7884030
Are there any scientific/psychological books that blow the transgender meme the fuck out?
>>
There are plenty of books about mental illness OP
>>
>>7884174
> heteronormative essentialism
ie Truth
>>
>>7884195
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Would_Be_Queen

So much they had to oy vey shuttitdown cause the goyim can't know
>>
>>7884174
>it falls into heteronormative essentialism. reading transgender literature by cis straight retards is idiotic.
pls b myra
>>
>>7884213
Holy shit how libcucked is the greater academic community? Though the degenerates reaction is pretty typical
>>
no but try the film 'dressed to kill'
>>
>>7884078
It makes sense though. It is a mental disease. A mental disease so severe that they are willing to mutilate their bodies to try to fix it.

Life with a mental disease like that is not pleasant. I know. It is not like hair color and having a favorite food. It is pretty life-defining.
>>
>>7884436
We don't let anorexics stay skinny why should we let trans people change themselves for their illness?
>>
>>7884036
So you haven't actully read DFW then right?
Two of IJ's main characters are trannys.
>>
>>7884445
It has a pretty high success rate of improving their lives and reported state of well being from what I understand. They are still at much higher risk than the average person, but if it helps it helps. You can't say the same for anorexics.

It is like telling a mentally ill person that taking medicine for their illness is changing their brain chemistry and shouldn't be allowed. That it is unnatural.
>>
laura jane grace has a memoir coming out
>>
>>7884458
>IJ
>good book
>>
>>7884030
Last Exit to Brooklyn
>>
Doesn't Myra Breckinridge deal with this? Vidal is supposed to be an ok author.
>>
>>7884461
Man everything changes our brain chemistry, even being in the sun. I don't have a problem with trans people but I have a problem with carrying out surgery when therapy and medication could work
>>
Orlando duh
>>
>>7884436
Look, man. I'm trans. But I don't go through EVERY waking moment of every day thinking about how much I hate myself. And I don't wanna read about someone who does.
>>
>>7884477
>We don't want you to indulge this disease.
>Here, these pills will make you satisfied with the body you were born with.

That sounds dystopic as fuck.
>>
>>7884464
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>7884477
If it works it works. If it is something that can be fixed with a pretty good success rate through surgery then I say let them go for it. And I'm pretty sure they do go through quite a bit of counseling to do it. Not trans though so I really don't know to what extent.
>>7884487
Fair enough. I just know that if I was writing about myself that my own mental disease would inevitably cast its shadow on my work. Which is why I don't write about myself. I just understand how it is tempting to go on about the suffering it makes you go through.
>>
>>7884492
I dunno man surgery to change yourself is the basis for a lot of dark sci-fi dystopias
>>
>>7884030

go to bed arther
>>
>>7884492
funny how people will literally mutilate their body rather than commit an offense against the mystical harmonies of body chemistry

something idolatrous there
>>
>>7884174
>heteronormative essentialism
That makes it sound so rad. Heteronormative essentialism is my philosophy of choice.
>>
DSM 4
>>
>>7884445
We already allow people change themselves quite heavily and much more disgustingly in many ways with plastic surgery and body modifications.

The whole chopping off the dick or attaching some fake dick (hardly done for obvious reasons) is pretty disgusting but the most common surgery is breasts (fake breasts or removal of the breasts) which isn't any different than reductions and enhancement for actual women. Hormones come first anyway.

Also the anorexia comparison sucks because letting anorexia just happen leads to the sick person's death whereas allowing trans to happen leads to them becoming a more or less poor imitation of a productive member of society.
>>
>>7884158
Tell me the difference.

Then tell me why it matters.

I'm with rage anon; there's nothing good or healthy about trans people. Adults learn not to care what others think and cut their own paths, trans people want society to accept them in the society-built women's role. It's shallow and whiney in about a dozen ways.

I want society to recognize my genius and make me an aristocrat, I've literally lived a tortured excluded existence of being a lonely patrician who just wants to wear a Toga Virilus, have a friendly conversation or two at the bar about Epictetus and virtue ethics and use the philosophers-only toilet. Can I trans victim bonus get yet?
>>
>>7884719
The difference between a transvestite and transgender is that the former just enjoys wearing clothing associated with the other gender whereas the latter suffers from a mental disorder, delusion, imbalance or whatever it is, that makes the believe they are of the other gender. Not trapped in the wrong clothing but trapped in the wrong body.

>>7884134
Also Lecter/Crawford literally says in the book that Buffallo Bill just believes to be transgender which is also why he has been rejected by so many clinics.
>>
>>7884733
I'm trapped in the wrong body too. If I wallow in sorrow over it long enough maybe I can change myself chemically too. Has anyone studied groups of poor people to discover any chemically rich people?

I thought women were exactly the same as men? Doesn't wanting to be the other gender objectify it? What does it mean to be a woman? Plastic tits and dresses? Excess estrogen? gtfo at least crossdressers know exactly why they're in fucking dresses.

People need to take responsibility for their own decisions and stop pretending or relying on science to justify their cowardly actions.

A trans person who undergoes surgery because of fitting into a societal role or wrong body or whatever is a whiney coward.

I could respect a person who makes a grown up decision on the matter and does it because they truly want to after considering at length the implications on their lives and the meaning of the genders outside of society and has come to an internally consistent decision to go through with it.

Also nice dubs you have there.
>>
>>7884710
I think plastic surgery is kind of an abomination for the most part to be fair, moreso than reassignment surgery. And trans people often kill themselves if their condition persists
>>
>>7884719
You should read The Talented Mr Ripley, not The Silence of the Lambs.
>>
The Wasp Factory
>>
>>7884754
Stop referencing posts if you chose to just babble on about to an imaginary person rather than address or react to anything said.
>>
>>7884030
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto.

Also lacks the self hatred aspect so many anons are focusing on in the thread.
>>
the bible
>>
>>7884284
>academia produces a work that academia criticises, which criticism is further criticized by academia
>god look how libcucked academia is
>>
>>7884534
literally cannot wait for x change to become real
>>
>>7884030
The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra
>>
>>7884719
>the philosophers-only toilet
I wouldn't want to wait in the line for that.
>>
>tfw my novel is about a genderfluid person
>prounouns change at random
>twist at the end is that it was actually about two genderfluid protagonists but xeir changing names/pronouns make it nearly impossible to discern what events involve which character
>what seems like one long non-sequitur chapter is actually just a really complicated and narrative pronoun choice, culminating in a sentence that could be shortened to roughly "He had a long day" if the pronoun were, for example, the traditional "male" pronoun
>instead it reads for 24 pages as a story about a woman and a bear learning the true meaning of friendship on the set of a major motion picture adaptation of a book which actually didn't contain a bear in the original
>the original book is my book / the surrounding narrative
>>
>>7884030
>transgenders
Error 404. No such creature at the planet. Penis do not growing in a female body, a vagina do not appear in a male body. Transformation between gender not possible is.
Pervert sexual orientation need name with another word.
>>
>>7885038
Copied into my sig!
>>
File: 1362832138562.jpg (45 KB, 465x611) Image search: [Google]
1362832138562.jpg
45 KB, 465x611
Why does this shit spread everywhere. I need a safespace away from all this talk of degeneracy and mental illness. Why can't they just consult a doctor about their problems rather than dragging down the regular people with them.
>>
File: 0724355744524_p0_v1_s272x272.jpg (30 KB, 272x272) Image search: [Google]
0724355744524_p0_v1_s272x272.jpg
30 KB, 272x272
>>7884464

> IJ
> not a good book
>>
>>7884113
>not picking t
>>
>>7884030

No, because any time anyone talks about sexuality as their identity, it is ALL they talk about, and any capacity to move the story forward withers like a plant amongst weeds because their melodramatic crap about finding themselves takes focus over literally everything else. I have yet to see the novel about the transsexual that wasn't make because of and about their being transsexual.

The issue with this is that a well-rounded character needs more to him than one singular defining trait, or else he's not a character- he/she/it/shit's a caricature, an exaggeration, and any interest they can possibly rouse is short-lived as a result. It's the difference between Redwall characters and the fucking Trix rabbit.

But even if a transsexual character tried to round themselves out, they'd fight an uphill battle doing so. Transsexuality is just too hot and controversial a topic to gloss over: interpretations and understandings shift on opinions fundamentally if they're being given by a transsexual. It can't be looked past. This isn't like being tall or short, or fat or thin. Transsexuality isn't just a character trait, it's a damn biographical account. It immediately states that at some point in a person's past, they either decided or started believing that they were an entirely different person than what their biology showed them as, and then changed themselves accordingly. It's kind of hard to ignore.

TL;DR - No. In fact, if someone leads with gender identity as a defining trait in their introduction, consider it a yellow flag, because they are fishing for attention on that singular trait that would be unnoticeable otherwise. (Exceptions may be made if an author revealed it in a character by their actions later, but the writers with the savvy to pull that off are surprisingly few.)
>>
File: 1436987343663.jpg (89 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
1436987343663.jpg
89 KB, 333x500
>>7884030
>you or
>you or
>by animeviewer66
>>
>>7884461
There is a mental disorder in which people feel that they shouldn't have an arm or a leg, and if not helped, they will often end up cutting it off.
Should we let them?

Also suicide rates suggests that transitioning does not actually help them.
It really is comparable to anorexia because just like how anorexics will never feel skinny enough, most transsexuals will never look enough like the gender they want to be and it will continue to torment them.
>>
>>7884043
I felt bad that you took the time to greentext that for only one (you) so i'm gonna give you another.
>>
/pol/ here
redpill me on literature
>>
>>7884030
last exit to brooklyn
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.