[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"one should not be friends with a person of higher station
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: russ.jpg (15 KB, 192x300) Image search: [Google]
russ.jpg
15 KB, 192x300
"one should not be friends with a person of higher station than ones own, unless he is also of higher virtue, which will justify the respect shown to him"

what does this mean?
>>
It means, "I'm a soul-sucking asshole."
>>
Who is "he"
>>
It means that you shouldn't getting involved in sucking up to people just because they're powerful.
>>
Russell is saying that you shouldn't be friends/look up to someone who is of higher position or rank than oneself for that reason exclusively.
>>
>>7883486
It is Aristotle's contention that friendship can only exist among equals.

Masters and slaves cannot be friends. Man cannot be "friends" with gods. Etc. Etc.
>>
So when he says "he is also of higher virtue" he means the powerful guy?
>>
>>7883596
No he isn't. He is relaying Aristotle's views on the subject.
>>
Don't hang out with rich people or you look like a loser. Unless they are really righteous rich prople; then you have an excuse.
>>
>>7883616
He probably means virtuous in the Christian sense. Christianity as it was interpreted then.
>>
>>7883616
No.
>>
>>7883620
Aristotle predates Christianity by 400 years.
>>
>>7883620
>thinks christianity was around before christ

there are people actually this stupid on lit right now holy fuck
>>
>>7883629
Only according to a positivist interpretation of history.
>>
>>7883637
Mencken,the Christian, using Aristotle to moralize, bro, not Aristotle
>>
>>7883486
Be a sociopath.
>>
>>7883659
Are you drunk right now?
>>
>>7883676
Russell not Mencken . They're essentially the same.
>>
>>7883684
Except Russell was an atheist, not a Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_Am_Not_a_Christian

Bonus prize: Mencken was also an atheist.

You're like the Secretariat of being wrong. Congratulations.
>>
>>7883711
I want to keep arguing but probably should just stop.
>>
>>7883585
that's basically all that women do, anyway
inb4 muh feminizm blah-blah
>>
>>7883585
>>7884653
Not power, status.

>>7883616
>>7883622
What is this illiteracy. Yes. The sentence becomes completely nonsensical otherwise. Only be friends with people of higher status if you are an ethical person which will justify you showing them respect? You show respect to people of higher status anyway, ethical or not.
>>
>>7883486
don't sniff butts for money, do it for love.
>>
>>7883486
Player hate
>>
>>7883614
This is the correct answer.

All of these shit posts are confirming that /lit/ is probably the worst board on 4chan. I wonder how many posters have read a book this year
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.