[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So since P&V are shit, who does the most accurate Dostoevsky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Fyodor_Dostoevsky.jpg (79 KB, 373x443) Image search: [Google]
Fyodor_Dostoevsky.jpg
79 KB, 373x443
So since P&V are shit, who does the most accurate Dostoevsky translations?
>>
McDuff is the best though I don't know about most accurate
>>
Sam Harris says everything Dosto says about human nature/the human condition but better and he's in English already so... pretty obvious what to do
>>
P&V are great, don't fall for the memes. Two jealous contrarian articles don't a reputation ruin.
>>
>>7883016
It's pretty obvious you should end your life.
>>
>>7883019
How unenlightened of you.

You need this

https://www.samharris.org/

pronto.
>>
>>7883017
You don't need to read any articles. (A) Richard Pevear is just an awful English prose stylist. And (B) the mechanical 2-step translation process they use is fundamentally defective.
>>
Constance Garnett
>>
>>7883002
Oliver Ready for C&P
>>
>>7883017
The guy that wrote one of them was pretty much the most esteemed Russian literary scholar in America, and he fucking hates P&V.
>>
>>7883192
Interesting how he was silent for twenty years.
>>
give me attention please
>>
>>7883187
Seconded.
>>
>>7883016
this
>>
P&V's Notes made me feel. Maybe a better translation would have made me weep but it was satisfactory to me
>>
Why are they shit?
>>
>>7883252
Pick up the fucking book and ask yourself if that's how English is supposed to be written.
>>
>>7883363
I read the P&V translation, and albeit it lacked 'good' prose, it wasn't bad as such.
>>
Aylmer and Louise Maude.
>>
Is The Idiot a good place to start for someone wanting to read dostoevsky?
>>
Read a Sam Harris book for fuck's sake.

This thread is an embarrassment
>>
AVSEY
V
S
E
Y
>>
>>7883382
Aylmer and Louise Maude didn't translate Dostoyevsky, asshat.

Their translation of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" is masterly, however.
>>
>>7883363
I read the P&V Crime and Punishment tranlsation, and it was infinitely better than Garnett's version. Which I guess both might be shit but those are the only two translations I have read.
>>
>>7883396
nah, it's a good book but it's like 90% dialogue, I would start with C&P or Notes from Underground.
>>
Garnett
>>
The Idiot/C&P: Mcduff
TBK: McDuff/Avsey
Notes from the Underground/The Gambler: Jane Kentish
>>
my ex and I broke up partially because I told her that the P&V translation of Anna K which her sister got her was shit, I think
>>
>>7884429
Even though it is granted that women are emotional in their nature - I highly doubt that was a reason.
>>
>>7884429
She just needed an excuse and you have her one you edgelord
>>
>>7883202

So he didn't right an article about the overrated reputation of two hacks back when they were just starting out and didn't have their overrated reputation yet, and that proves what?

Obviously, you can't write an article about an apparently settled issue until the issue has had time to settle. Twenty years ago P&V weren't the standard that needed to be thrown out of student bookstores. Now they are. Nothing mysterious here.
>>
Translations can't be accurate. What you should be looking for is the most artistically fulfilling translation.
>>
>>7884424
AAA choices. Can vouch for McDuff and Avesy. Strong prose, but no obvious liberties taken.

Reading P&V is like reading my native tongue after being passed through google translate to French and to English.
>>
Constantin Garrett.
>>
File: 1450035545419.jpg (11 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1450035545419.jpg
11 KB, 256x256
>>7886029

>right an article
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.