[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you feel when he died?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
How did you feel when he died?
>>
relieved because i gained his spiritual powers
>>
i feelt bad
>>
>>7882714
So we're in a Highlander type situation?
>>
i be cry
>>
>>7882723
kek
>>
>>7882723
/thread
>>
>>7882723
>>7882728
>>7882733
I wanted honest answers, not irony. Fuck off
>>
>>7882723
fuckin' A
>>
File: 1395327285935.gif (533 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1395327285935.gif
533 KB, 384x288
>>7882738
Sorry you're at the end of your rope anon
>>
>>7882743

Was it autism?
>>
>>7882738
You dont hang around here much do you?
>>
>>7882793
I would've thought his death would've affected you all more considering Infinite Jest is the greatest book of the 1990's
>>
>>7882797
I'm sorry, how is it the greatest book of the 90s? If I missed something, then enlighten me
>>
>>7882817
How about YOU enlighten us with YOUR opinion of thr greatest book of the 90s, buddy boy
>>
>>7882821
My personal opinion? Fine. I don't want to be offensive, but Infinite Jest is so bad. I know that Wallace was a very sincere young man, but I'm sorry, there's no discernible talent. Stephen King is Cervantes compared with David Foster Wallace. I even resented the use of the title "Infinite Jest," you know, from the incomparable graveyard scene in Hamlet. We have no standards anymore. It's Grisham's Law: the bad drives out the good.
>>
File: 1451858670958.jpg (28 KB, 282x362) Image search: [Google]
1451858670958.jpg
28 KB, 282x362
>>7882834
>>
Infinite fucking jest lmao...
>>
guys what's the jest in infinite jest??????
>>
File: 1431369243022.jpg (29 KB, 377x345) Image search: [Google]
1431369243022.jpg
29 KB, 377x345
>>7882743
>>7882793
>>
someone redpill me on infinite jest
>>
>>7882909
Huh? The jest lies in the fact that it is irrevocably authentic, it's ironic sincerity, really.
>>
this is tear water
>>
>>7882925
Imagine a book, right. It's thick as hell. Fat. You got pages on pages on pages. You grip the side of this book with your hand and your hand hurts. And but so within this book is a ghost. Not a scary one, don't go anywhere lol. But a nice one. A benign ghost. His name is Dave. He's the smartest guy you'll ever meet, but he's not trying to blow you away with his intellect or anything. He just wants to talk to you. About your life, you know. He wants to see how you're doing. He wants you to know that you're not alone. Sure, you *could* engage Infinite Jest on the genius-IQ level that Wallace designed for it as its Deep Layer. But you don't have to. If that's not your speed, you can just chill out, smoke a joint, and listen to what Dave has to say. A lot of it is pretty wise. The book has a lotta AA in it, so a lot of it is about listening to other people. Other People. We need to get away from ourselves and engage with our community - one of the subjects Wallace goes into. We need to stop being solipsists. One way to do that is through literature. So sit back, relax, crack the book open, start on page 1, or not, if you want to start in the middle that's fine. You can do what you like. It's an infinite jest. It goes round and round and round. RIP.
>>
I was shocked and then, before I was saddened, my first reaction was resentment at having been cheated out of everything I expected him to go on to do.

Which was pretty much the order of my responses when Kurt Cobain killed himself.
>>
As soon as i found out he died i told my dad. He said 'who is david foster wallace?' and I said 'you don't know ANYTHING!!!!!!!"
>>
>>7882957

That's the thing, the amazing feeling of reading DFW, either fiction or non-fiction, is spending time in the head that worked that way, they way that so many readers wish their heads worked. To think that it's a nice place to visit but being stuck there drove him to despair was a weird thing to come to terms with.

Reading the transcripts of his road trip that were the basis for the movie was a little more illuminating in that respect. The endless recursions of his thoughts were maddening.
>>
>>7882708

Do fish realize they swim in their own shit?
>>
>>7882957
is this irony
>>
>>7882834
If Bloom had read Brief or Oblivion he wouldn't've said this.
>>
>>7882834
Nice reading comprehension kid. You failed to enlighten us with your chose greatest book of the 90s. Or are you just scared you'll be mocked?

Reddit is not this website, kid
>>
>>7883069
But if he read 'Broom of the System' he'd think it all over again
>>
I had absolutely no idea who he was when he died. I learned about him retrospectively, largely thanks to this board.
>>
dude i was 14 lol
>>
Never heard of him before I came to /lit/ now it's too late to cry, unless I fall for the Jesty meme and read it. Will I be full of cries after I finish it?
>>
>>7884624
you probably won't even finish it, pleb.
>>
>>7884624
please take this down
>>
>>7882723
lmfao i just started reading the book and am very glad i've gotten far enough to enjoy this quality post
>>
>>7884624
yes
>>
>>7882738
you dont hang yourself around here very often, do you?
>>
>>7885466
your footnote to that joke doesn't have a stool to stand on
>>
why is this thread so weird?
am i having a stroke?
>>
>>7883224
stop acting tough you fucking poser
>>
>>7886124
have you heard of david foster wallace, haha do you read grammar kafkas, uhh
>>
I didn't know about him tbqh phemonologia
>>
devastated because I was looking forward to read his future works and his narration of the contemporary world
>>
>>7886168
yes I heard of Dave and I read Kafkas weird syntax
>>
david foster wallace!!!!!!!! hey, david foster wallace!!!!!!
>>
oh fuck when did be die. he was just in a movie
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.