[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Dave trying to discern here, exactly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: dave.jpg (30 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
dave.jpg
30 KB, 500x333
What is Dave trying to discern here, exactly?
>>
He's not discerning anything. He's saluting sincerity to show how sincere he is about sincerity.
>>
>>7882519
the turgidity of Bloom's lectures
I don't even mind if that doesn't exist as a word, if so I'm actually being sorta Wallacean here
>>
>>7882542
Yeah, Wallace did coin a lot of words. The best writers do (Shakespeare). Reminds me of that thing that one article about him said, something like, "You know you're a good writer when the English language is literally impoverished by your death." Really true.
>>
a banal platitude
>>
he forgot his headband, so he's using his hand instead and hoping that no one notices
>>
>>7882545
i think the way dfw wallace plays with words is very tongue in cheek. theres a lot of humour there.
>>
>>7882545
>>7882564
Yeah, completely agree. This very tiny aspect of his purely literary style is something very precious.
holy shit though, I'm not a native, I just googled that word and it really exists.
>>
He is checking these dubs
>>
That's not his discerning face. That's his parsing face.
>>
>>7882592
He'd find that there are no discernible dubs.
>>
>>7882606
Because I stole them
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 362x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 362x520
TALENT
>>
>>7882519
whether or not something is perverse
>>
>>7882990
not necessarily
>>
File: 1455111918576.jpg (47 KB, 604x389) Image search: [Google]
1455111918576.jpg
47 KB, 604x389
>>7882621
>>
>>7882606
there are however discernable nubs
>>
Identifying Water
>>
>>7883021
>>
>>7882519
Clearly not talent, because he has a lot of that
>>
DO YOU HAVE THAT VIDEO. ITS THE ONLY ONE I HAVEN'T SEEN ON THE MAN
>>
awesome pic
>>
>>7883058
Seconding this.
>>
That movie about him is pretty comfy.
>>
>>7884100
>>7883058
the one where he's at the college speaking this? it doesn't exist. there's an audio recording, and pictures, of course, which i'm sure you've all already heard, and seen, but there is no video of the event.
>>
>>7883021
Dead in the water.
>>
>>7882542
Yes, quite Wallesque
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.