[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Books on art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: foot2.jpg (300 KB, 1182x1600) Image search: [Google]
foot2.jpg
300 KB, 1182x1600
Just finished pic related and loved it to bits. Where should I go next? I was thinking about picking up books that focus more on a specific period (I really liked the egyptians, renaissence and XX century parts of the book). But maybe it's better to delve into more introductory works that focus on only one of the arts (sculpture of architecture were barely discussed in depth), since I'm still very new to art history.

Does /lit/ have any recommendations on books about history of art or art in general? Treaties on aesthetics are welcome too for the sake of discussion, although not really what I'm looking for.
>>
Art as Experience by John Dewey.

Gotta read it slow though, I got the audiobook and there are big chunks that I was completely uncertain on
>>
Even though it isn't really what you're looking for, Tolstoy's essays on art are pretty good.
>>
>>7882412
>>7882429
These both sound great and I really like aesthetics (hence why I want to get more into art history), but I'm looking at something that will enhance my understanding of works of art. As in, identifying what are the intentions of the artist, the style and technique, the differences between various periods and schools...
I guess I'm still looking for introductory texts, as I feel a bit overwhelmed by all of it.
>>
Watch the documentary series Shock of the New
>>
After reading this, I immediately jumped on another Gombrich (Art and Illusion) and loved it too, but it's not about art history.
Also, there is a comprehensive bibliography at the end of SOA, from which you can pick up the less specialized works you're interested in (even though it's mainly stuffed with deep/expert books)
>>
File: 383.jpg (61 KB, 397x490) Image search: [Google]
383.jpg
61 KB, 397x490
>>7882458
That sounds exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, thank you!
>>7882483
I will check it out more of his works, I don't read much non-fiction but I thought it was a really engrossing read
>>
>>7882489
>That sounds exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, thank you!

If you haven't seen it, I also recommend Ways of Seeing with John Berger. It's a great introductory series on art, not much on the history of it, but in the possibilities to approach it.
>>
there's a fucking bibliography in the back you idiot
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.