[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck? Was Tolstoy retarded? The "debates"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Anna-Karenina.jpg (414 KB, 950x1478) Image search: [Google]
Anna-Karenina.jpg
414 KB, 950x1478
What the fuck? Was Tolstoy retarded? The "debates" between Levin and Sergei Ivanovich, where you're clearly supposed to think Levin's right, are insane.

>Hurr Russia doesn't need medicine because I don't believe in doctors
>Hurr Russians don't need education because serfs who can read are lazy
>Hurr I don't need a fair jury because I won't commit a crime
>>
It's not a very good book, don't worry about it too much.
>>
I'm currently reading it

Levin a cute
>>
'Death'
>>
>>7882156
>tfw no rosy cheeked retarded bear bf
>>
>>7882108

he had some annoying ideas
>>
Why is AK considered the greatest novel ever written and not just a tripe melodrama?
>>
>>7882108
You can think whatever you want of the debates, but obviously the author will have a preference of one argument over another.
>>
Lol, I was shocked like you while I was reading that part.

Lev and his views evolve through the book, don't worry.
>>
>>7882972
maybe you should figure out what melodrama actually means first before asking that question
>>
>>7883328
does it trigger you that I just called your favourite book a melodrama?
>>
Lev isn't Tolstoy. Neither is Pierre. Both say and do stupid facepalm shit. That's part of his theology. People blunder into grace.

Levin + Kitty and Pierre + Natalia are similar in that sense.
>>
>>7883383
>Lev isn't Tolstoy.
Tolstoy's wife, Sonia, told Tolstoy that Levin was "you, without the talent."
>>
>>7883372
no it just makes me realize you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>7883383
he's pretty much universally acknowledged as Tolstoy's most direct self-insert

I'm pretty sure Tolstoy was aware that he could be at times too idealistic
>>
>>7883467

lol good fuckin burn
>>
Fiction is not an elucidation of "correct thoughts."
>>
>>7883467
>>7883478

you guys are both insulting without telling your reasons, over an old book which will always be acclaimed at that

losers
>>
>he fell for the russian literature is good meme
>>
tolstoy really hated him some doctors
>>
>>7883525

lol i never read it, just in context it was a good burn no harm intended
>>
How do you know you're supposed to think Levin is right?

His spiritual awakening at the end was anticlimactic though, I'll give you that.
>>
>>7882108
If you had read closely you would know that Levin recognized and bemoaned this inability to debate successfully. Perhaps his style of thought could be likened to the caged-oracle-ineffable-wisdom style of Our Lord Wallace. And defining that element of Levin's character is one of the key functions of those debates. It's important to the kind of private epiphany he experiences later.
>>
>>7883572
>the gift of long-sought faith in God almighty and the accompanying peace of mind and paradigm shift of thought was anticlimactic

w e w
>>
>>7883570
tbhf all medicine before even the 1940's was fucking awful.
>>7882108
Levin who tries pushing modern inventions on his serfs can't accept modern inventions? Almost as if the character is flawed or something
>>
>>7882108
Welcome to russian political discussion. Stay tuned.
>>
>>7882108
Doctors in the 19th century were in fact pretty terrible.

The education argument is the contemporary equivalent of "should everyone go to college?"

I don't remember anything about the legal stuff but I do recall the nobles' council or whatever it being portrayed as a bunch of pompous busybodies in AK. Worth remembering that Tolstoy was a literal aristocrat and didn't think that democracy = better than.
>>
>>7882108
looks like someone read a translation
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.