[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why only Shakespeare makes me "feel"? I nearly cried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Why only Shakespeare makes me "feel"?
I nearly cried with Nabokov, and Bartol made me think, but our friend William gives life and value to the words, regardless of whether they are mundane or transcendental.
>>
>>7882000
so tfw no feel?(except in shakespeare)
>>
>>7882000
because you're a Romantic faggot
>>
>>7882008
>faggot
>2016
>>
>>7882000
Read Proust. It will make you feel.
>>
File: frustrated-laptop-man-2462655.jpg (274 KB, 957x1300) Image search: [Google]
frustrated-laptop-man-2462655.jpg
274 KB, 957x1300
>>7882000
>when people quote characters and then credit the writer with the thought
>>
There are many writers who make me feel, but Shakespeare isn't near the top for me.

The thing about Shakespeare is that there's always a vague feeling of the ironical about him, like he's always being too brilliant and clever by half. Whereas the Romantics are transmitting feeling simply and straightforwardly, Shakespeare has that renaissance sensibility where he's compulsively showing off all the time.

It's undeniably impressive, but I wouldn't say it's conductive to making me feel the most.
>>
>>7882406
Really?
>>
>>7882000
Shakespeare is only impressive because the language is similar enough to our own that we can discern the meaning but far enough removed from our own that we feel like we're accomplishing something when we do. Shakespeare wrote trashy adventures and romances for the drunken masses of London to watch for the equivalent of less than a dollar. Yes, there is some beautiful prose and verse throughout the canon, but it's not like he was writing to create great art. All of the artistic and creative merit to his work was posthumously assigned to him much much later.

None of this is to say I think he's a bad writer, as I thoroughly enjoy many of his plays, I just don't understand why he's considered "it" when it comes to classical drama, or even drama as a whole.
>>
>>7882456
hate when that happens
>>
>>7882406
Oh god this. Especially when it is something obviously not aligned with the author's personal views and taken out of context.
>>
>>7882406
This.
>>
>>7882559
>Shakespeare is only impressive because the language is similar enough to our own that we can discern the meaning but far enough removed from our own that we feel like we're accomplishing something when we do.
Heavy projection.
>>
>>7882559
Hamlet is a contender for the greatest work of art ever created.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.