[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movie Adaptation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 4
File: b674124128a0ef9261e96010.L.jpg (37 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
b674124128a0ef9261e96010.L.jpg
37 KB, 332x500
Hey 4chan,
A few months ago I posted about the upcoming adaptation of the New Sun series into 2 feature length movies. I dont think anyone actually cared except to say 'dont do it' but for anyone interested the film is in production. And if you maybe have a teeny bit of a sense of humor youll appreciate the music that will be in the theatrical trailer.
Ill be here for your questions comments fanboyism
Song:
https://youtu.be/Res91Bv0ptk
>>
>>7881832
Any real sources except Taylor Swift you can offer?
>>
>>7881832
Also I have supremely low expectations.
Best thing to come out of it could be more widespread acknowledgement of Wolfe, but it's implausible, assuming this isn't some next level bait.
>>
>>7881835
Not really no there is a pretty comprehensive NDA i mean i have no problem telling you the plot but if i prove it i am in a legal bind, ya dig? Ill try and think of something.
Each book is approx. 45 min shadow, claw, lictor the last one is going to be "Part II"
>>
>>7881858
Being filmed by a big studio? Why did they take the bait? How much are you going to massacre the religious nature of the work?
>>
>>7881858
Sorry, wow i totally misspoke. The first movie ends with you know, plane crash, brain eating assuming the throne. Parts of lictor and all of Urth will be Part II
>>
>>7881875
Ah so it's 5 books? 3 and then 2?
>>
>>7881870
Yes a gigantic studio in fact. There are some production factors that made them interested mainly some locations that make relatively cheap locations viable and the producer liked the concept, test footage.
The religious nature is mostly absent except for a couple of scenes that reminded me personally of a movie called The Fountain. Of course i mean the subtext, the plot is basically copy pasted except some quantum mechanics.
>>
>>7881884
No, parts of lictor, the third book, will be in the second film. Citadel of the auturch is going to be in the first film as the third act essentially. Im sorry, the 5 books are going to be in 2 movies, the second movie, because of its nature, will have alt and b crew footage from lictor and start from the end of citadel (kind of). I dont care about spoilers, really i can explain just ask specifically.
>>
>>7881910
When are we going to hear about it? Will you let Gene in to watch how his masterpiece is raped by the likes of Abrams? Who will act? Will Thecla get eaten?
>>
>>7881919
Probably in the summer. Its not up to me, I mean just look at me, I'm a snitch!
J.J. does movies that are only superficially like this, come on. Thecla will be portrayed by an actress throughout the series :)
>>
>>7881919
This reminds me, the Alzabo is so fucking freaky in this movie, they did a good job. It looks like the creepy game over screen from Shadow of The Colossus. It is a puppet they made and its terrifying ill post a picture of its foot or something.
>>
>>7881955
I'm expecting it
>>
Strange there isn't more interest, post in in the general
>>
How come we haven't heard about this before? Aside from here I mean. It's not really reassuring
I mean at this point I'm expecting something along the lines of those cheesy Hercules series or the D&D movies
Is it that kind of studio?
>>
>>7882018
The anon made one thread a few months ago and is now giving us a secret sneek into
>>
>>7882018
Hi its not supposed to be reassuring by summer i mean trailer end of july. Im just giving you guys a heads up for old times sake.

Couldnt get a pic will have something tomorrow (weekend).

Its a real movie, not a Syfy original. You might be surprised

Here to spoil you guys, I'm pretty excited.
>>
>>7882044
You sound sincere, but by God you know how unlikely this seems?
>>
>>7882044
>by summer i mean trailer end of july
Oh okay that makes more sense
Still, even though it's not a trendy franchise I'd have thought producers would have tried to generate some early noise in the sci-fi community or something
>>
>>7882069
Thank the SAW series Deadpool, and The Witch. Basically it happened that there was enough stuff out there to justify it and we pushed hard. It's going to be pretty awesome.
>>
>>7882044

Will Clancy Brown be The Green Man?
>>
There's no way this is happening. The whole point of BotNS is the metanarrative which would be impossible to communicate through a movie.
>>
>>7882281

It'll be like when Jackson adapted Lord of the Rings and missed out on all the subtlety towards magic. An utter disaster, still some good movies but too felt too much like action films.

>Dudebros and normalfags will one day take The Book of New Sun from us
>>
>>7882334
Well it'll help Wolfe get recognition
>>
>>7881832
oh, are you the guy who said they're gonna portray Jonas as korean?
Shows how much you paid attention to the book.
>>
>>7881832
i love feature length movies, so i'll check it out, thanks
>>
>>7882281
Metanarrative can be done with a sensitive director, through the repeated use of symbols and themes, but will be butchered, no doubt. Not that this has gone beyond planning stages for various people, unrelated to OP i am sure.
>>
I see no way in hell BOTNS could be done on screen. It doesn't work in any other way than a book.
Will this ruin BOTNS forever?
>>
>>7882755
Movies don't touch the book, but it means it'll get more widespread readership so that's good.
>>
>>7882798
Tolkien's more widespread readership isn't doing much for Tolkien...
>>
>>7882847
Well it is. He's recognized as a canon author unlike Wolfe and his novels are printed in quality editions and easily available. That's much more than I can say about Wolfe.
>>
>>7882872
It's the type of bullshit I can believe. Fair enough anon.

But even anal Tolkien nerds -kinda- liked the movies. I doubt anal Wolfe nerds will ever enjoy a movie adaptation of BOTNS because a movie can never portray the things BOTNS is loved for by its fans, while a movie -can- indeed display the things Tolkien is loved for by his fans. Not sure you get what I'm trying to say but basically, you love chocolate and I love oranges. A cake is made and while you will enjoy the cake, I won;t because we like different kinds of sweets.

Aw shit I bet it;s a really shitty analogy.
>>
>>7881832
Wait, you're telling me not only you'll use a garbage Tailor Swift song for the trailer but it will also be a garbage dubstep? And you're calling it ironic?
>>
I always thought a new sun movie would have to be done in black and white, since the scenery is sometimes completely alien but only vaguely described
>>
>>7883140
and now you know why OP is full of shit
>>
File: otsg.jpg (38 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
otsg.jpg
38 KB, 500x375
>>7883226
A new sun movie I'd see as On the silver globe. You saying black and white made me think of this
>>
>>7882727
Yes Jonas is of Korean descent. That language he was talking that Severian describes is korean.
>>7882751
Meta-narrative meaning a 'play' between the composition of the medium and the audience? There really won't be any of that, no. For instance the camera will often show Thecla if Severian is in the background of an ECU or something, but thats not outside of conventional narrative elements of film. There will be some maybe unpopular cinematic choices but there won't be 'Severian as unreliable narrator'. As I posted in the first thread some months back, Severian does not lie or omit things in the film due to the changing nature of reality and time itself. Severian does die a lot.
>>7883140
Is it ironic? No Post Ironic? Maybe. The musical choice is pretty appropriate for the cut of the trailer. Maybe you'll like it.
I came back! If the thread is still here tomorrow (if, ha) Ill post some pics get you guys something legit.
>>
>>7883354
It's never stated outright that Jonas is Korean, just that he knew what the Korean language sounds like. Fine by me if a Korean actor plays him though
>>
Post a screencap of the trailer
>>
Really interested if doubtful, bumping for interest
>>
>>7883140

Nah dude, I'm all in for Taylor Swift and Korean Jonas. Good post OP, looking forward to it.
>>
>>7883354
>Post Ironic
What does that even mean? Old Retarded?
Shit music remains shit music even if it's "post ironic". Why would you use shit music for your beloved movie, unless of course you or your target have shit taste?

Having said that I'm still looking forward to it, if only to see what it will be like. I'm still pretending that Conan movie never came out, if the situation requires it, I can do it again.
>>
>>7883988
>>7883401
>>7883354
But Jonas is not korean. He is a broken machine with parts taken out of a dead person they found at the crashing site.Severian himsef said he never recognized jonas as looking foreign or different from the other people, just that he had a weird way of behaving and was more knowledgeable than you'd expect.
Jonas is, in every way up until he reveals himself to be machine, a relatively normal guy and Severian (and us as readers /movie spectators) have no reason to believe Jonas was anything else but a weird smart guy.Nope, he is not korean in the book when he apears even if he might have been korean in his distant past. E rebuilt his broken parts using biological material from the dead shepard (I think the dead guy was shepard) and so his face was the dead guy's face, and thus normal by every (Severian's) standard.

Korean Jonas made me lose faith in this mover.
>>
>>7884817
I'll be content with a loosely based good action sf that won't be shit in itself.
>>
>>7884817
You're telling me: rather than initially being human and repairing himself with robot parts, Jonas was a robot who repaired himself with human parts? I completely missed that, but it would make sense.
>>
>>7885369
I thought it was quite obvious, if I recall he basically outright tells it
>>
>>7881832

>Claims film is already in production
>Claims major studio is taking the project on
>No results on IMDB or any other major film news sites

It's b8 faggots.
>>
>>7881910
>the second movie, because of its nature, will have alt and b crew footage from lictor and start from the end of citadel (kind of)

This makes no fucking sense from a plot perspective. So in the first film Severian is going to assume the throne and then in the second film we're going to back to the lictor and see him take on Baldanders, then get on Tzadkiel and fuck off to the Hierodules? This shit makes no fucking sense.
>>
1. seems impossible just because of the nature of the narrative. how can it work when you know right away, visually that the torturer's guild is actually an old-ass spaceship?

2. who's directing?
>>
File: b-x.jpg (3 KB, 124x124) Image search: [Google]
b-x.jpg
3 KB, 124x124
>>7881832
OP is obviously trolling and everyone should understand that. Is this whole thread some kind of joke?
>>
>>7886021
Well I never personally thought that the torturer's guild being a space rocket was that much of a secret. They can still make it look like an old gothic tower than only resembles a rocket if you ignore the thousands of years of plant growth and rust and dust. I mean every tower in this world looks like a rocket if you strain your imagination enough. They could make it look like a tower with added elements to help viewers realize that oh shit, this is actually an old ass rocket.
>>
>>7885923
He said it'll be announced in a few months. Makes sense to hide it for a few months before you arrange it, but indeed, it's probably bait.
>>
>>7885923
Don't see why anyone would bother b8ing with this, it's not like anyone would be disappointed with it not being true. The only reaction would be confusion as to what op was trying to achieve
>>
>>7886054
It has been a while since we've had an obvious post from that guy who just tells convoluted lies for attention.
>>
>>7886063
But we aren't really taking the bait. There's not much hype here, just general scepticism and extremely low expectations
>>
>>7886070
He can't be successful every time.
>>
>>7886063
Yeah but that guy targets very obvious themes, and he would've already known this isn't a high-potential one from the first time
>>
>>7886085
It doesn't sound as absurd/on the nose as his usual stuff, you're right. I was just putting it out there.
>>
>>7886048

The filmmaking process almost always begins with the scriptwriting process. There's almost a zero percent chance that something of the scale of TBotNS would be kept under wraps if the film is already in production. As obscure as TBotNS may be to the public, it's a highly praised fantasy series with great cinematic appeal. Producers and studios know this. So the fact that there hasn't been a peep from anyone is indicative that OP is full of bullshit. This doesn't even begin to bring up a slew of other things such as casting, directing, location filming, etc. OP is claiming that the film is already set to have a trailer, which means that the majority of primary filming is complete. Again, the likelihood of a project coming this far along in the production process without even a hint of its existence anywhere is 0%. It literally cannot happen.

Also, the Taylor Swift song should have been a dead giveaway

Good effort OP, you seem to have convinced some dumb shit anons that this is actually happening.
>>
>>7886152
No, I just thought it was hypocritically possible and hoped for the best. It's just an exercise in speculation.
Also I couldn't open the YouTube link.
>>
>>7886152
I first saw talks about this super secret BOTNS movie for a long time. Not sure when, but last year for sure at the very least. Not sure if it's the same anon, but shit seems to be consistent. I swear, if this is a ruse, this particular anon should take a long, good look at his life.
>>
>>7886021
You can figure it it's a spaceship from halfway through book 1, loser.
>mfw I got BotNS on the first readthrough
>mfw I will be firmly in the Wolfe Pack on the second
>mfw I will transcend mortality on the third

no but seriously I think there's a sentence in Shadow of the Torturer where he mentions in passing that the Citadel's towers used to fly through space. Also the knight on the moon.
>>
>>7886627

The description of the Matachin Tower happens at the very beginning of Shadow and is rife with imagery that tells the reader it's a fucking space ship. The top level used to be the gun chamber of the original structure and the very bottom, where the oubliette begins, was the propulsion chamber of the "original structure"

I got this on the first read through way back about 12 years ago

>TFW old enough to be some /lit/izens uncles
>>
>>7886657
Yeah, I remember it wasn't that hidden. Things like that aren't even as important as the alzabo being communion and all that, they're just presents from Uncle Gene.
>>
I got a buddy into BOTNS when we were passing an old church tower and he said it kinda looks like a rocket ship. I said I know this book that totally does this, they keep saying towers but it's really old dilapidated space rockets. Good times
>>
>>7886712
The deeper I go into it the stranger the symbolism is. I mean the Eucharist is the literal flesh of God. I understand how it's a symbol of the real thing in a twisted world, but the more I think about it the more unnerving it feels.
>>
>>7886021
Camera angles and lighting can keep something a secret while still showing parts of it to the viewer. I would envision lots of wide angle, overhead shots in action scenes (like the kerfuffle at the Nessus gate$
>>
>>7886783
It's not a symbol bro. It is that.
>>
>>7886817
I'm pretty sure most Catholics take it as fact that ceremonies like the sacrament are symbolic. That's the whole damn point of new sun, that the truth is hidden behind the symbols- and, knowing this, one can have faith even in the face of uncertainty.
>>
>>7886827
>I'm pretty sure most Catholics take it as fact that ceremonies like the sacrament are symbolic.
Not at all. I'll paraphrase Flannery O'Connor: "If the Eucharist is just a symbol, fuck that shit"
Any Catholic who sees sacraments as just symbols is essentially a heretic.
>That's the whole damn point of new sun, that the truth is hidden behind the symbols- and, knowing this, one can have faith even in the face of uncertainty.
Indeed, but this works because sacraments.are both symbols and real events in which God communicates with man, in the most literal sense.
>>
>>7885369
lol how did you miss this?
>>
>>7888524
I don't know, it was spelled out
>>
>>7886827
Nigga if you don't believe you're partaking on the body of the Christ you're heretic.

And people still wonder if religions are legit or not.
>>
>>7886627
Hey I came up with Wolfe Pack don't you dare use that.
>>
>>7889238
I've seen Wolfe Pack used on other websites from many years ago, so unless that was you back then...
>>
>>7889333
How many Wolfe oldfags do we have?
>>
Yo, /lit/ OP was actually not completely full of shit.
I go to school at NAU and my friend took me to see a special screening of what I thought was going to be The Dark Tower trailer and it was this piece of shit.

I dont think there was anyone from the movie actually there but it looks like fucking Harry Potter meets Gods of Egypt. They actually use that Taylor Swift song and its fucking retarded.
Its sponsored by some gook company and a mexican heritage museum (?) or someshit.

It starts like a live action disney trailer
>doors open
>we see two girls sitting on a floor playing or someshit with an old guy in the back
>taylor swift is playing like the whole time, just music
>kid floating in water
>hot girl standing on a hill turns around
>other girl is in a cafe or something
>ANOTHER girl is in a forest or something
>AND I REALIZE THE BLAME IS ON ME
>outer space, under water, warcraft city
>boots walking in a hallway
>close up of some queen with a giant face next to her they look like he was fingering her or something right before base drop
>quick cut dude floating in water or space
>a two headed nemesis thing standing up slowly
>bass drop TROUBLE TROUBLE
>final fantasy airship on fire crashing into a battlefield
>now asteroth is swinging an axe at the slavemasters from game of thrones
>another hot girl in a photoshopped black hood
>a bunch of people laughing while a dude cuts some girls head off in a banquet hall
>prisoners in an apple store
>close up of green guy
>the statues from the never ending story
>godzilla with a woman face floats up from water freaky shit
>clive owen or some shit in a whorehouse
>girl in forest coughing blood
>boat in like a giant toilet
>voice over saying something like "I will survive and the rest don't matter"
>ripoff of the shining a bunch of water in the same castle door
>TROUBLE TROUBLE TROUBLE
>dude covered in blood in a fancy castle hysterical
>the hot girl is holding a bullet
>TROUBLE TROUBLE TROUBLE
>robin hood in a forest with a machine gun
>some brazilian shanty town on fire
>clive owen again stabbing somebody crying
>hot girl in the hood is floating
>clive owen looking at himself
>pretty kino shot of dude on a stage in a forest and it turns into a town square idk
>apple store dinner table with breaking bad and princess leia
>dude and dog wandering fallout style into some cave
>URTH OF THE NEW SUN in like 70s style font while dude in cloak walks down a hill in epcot
I don't know, it looks like Game of Thrones meets fucking BvS so i mean its real I guess? It looks fucking retarded. The T.A. who did it said 4chan.org at the end after q.a. no one asked anything and my friend kept saying 'its dark tower, trust' through the whole fucking trailer. It looks like that one movie thats not 300 but has a bull or something.
>>
>>7889407

Here.
>>
>>7889778
>prisoners in an apple store
Out of your whole post, this worried me the most. I have a baaaaad feeling about this and what it could potentially imply.
>>
>>7889778

This is a great effort

9/10 anon. Well memed
>>
>>7889778
Op is too good to be true, this too bad, well memed both of you
>>
>>7889814
>>7889839
I'm not a troll, I don't even like this series it was like the first one I read before I realized fantasy could potentially be not shit.
Dude look up prochnow events it should be on their calendar there was a fucking poster for upcoming trailers and movie shit.
I'm just saying its real and looks like crap.
>>
>>7881832
This is obviously a joke thread, and the song is supposed to be the punchline.

It seems OP decided to keep playing along when people started taking him seriously.
>>
>>7889847
I'm gonna have to get a link before I bite that someone is actually retarded enough to put Taylor fucking Swift in a New Sun movie.
>>
>>7886850
croat go home
>>
>>7889905
I just came home. Wanna Skype?
>>
>>7881832

All joking aside.

I could probably make a good adaption of this book.

I know I sound too insane and ambitious like who the fuck am I. But fuck it, I feel smart enough and skilled enough, give me a budget.
>>
>>7889918
uwe boll pls go
>>
>>7889918
What would you do with it
>>
>>7889930
Run with the money. Best thing he could do, for himself and for us.
>>
Didn't OP say he would have posted pics today? Where the fuck are the pics, OP?
>>
And to think I was about to dedicate my life to a book of the new sun film series. I was going to make it all anachronistic and artsy; it would have stayed true to the book's dialogue and action.
It would have used practical effects except for spaceship stuff.
I guess now I don't have to. That's okay.
>>
>>7890058
>>7889989
It's probably fake
>>
>>7889894
Early early trailers are like that, anon. They use music from their playlists and show scenes that the effects aren't finished on, just to give you a general idea. A lot of filmmakers have an inner AMV maker screaming to get out.
>>
>>7890058
There's room for that sort of thing still. We'll see a decent LotR adaptation with all the songs in someday.
>>
>>7892106
>cozy LotR series, with the first episode dedicated entirely to hobbits
>long quiet periods of just walking
>unaccompanied songs by untrained voices
>muted effects, intimate battle scenes
I want to believe.
>>
>>7892140
>actually manages to nail the trilogy's core themes about Providence, faith, and loyalty
>>
BOTNS is officially Redditcore now. Thanks OP.
>>
>>7889238
Nah, forget that, we're the Gene Row Wolfe Brigade now
>>
>>7892406
No we are Croat Wolfe Meme Team
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.