[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guide to becoming patrician
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: Aristotle.jpg (15 KB, 220x294) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle.jpg
15 KB, 220x294
Currently I read from four different books a day, two philosophical, one fiction and one historical. Currently I am reading The Apology and Euthyphro, Crime and Punishment, and The Expedition of Cyrus, is this a good path?
>>
lmao 4book

>not reading six books a day
>>
make a thread when you've actually read a book and want to discuss it. until then FUCK OFF
>>
No. The path to becoming patrician is reading 'the half-book' (that is, a book torn into two halves: you must use your bare strength of your hands and forearms to do this otherwise you risk never reaching the heights of a true patrician) of a book, obeying three conditions: it must be read while you are naked, your reading speed must not exceed 1 word per minute, and finally, which is of paramount importance, you must blink your left eyelid 3.43817 times per minute.
>>
what the fuck is the expedition of cyrus
>>
Why? Just read one book at a time you cunt
From start to finish. It'll help your comprehension.
>>
>>7881841
>can't read more than one book at a time
pleb
>>
>>7881850
Of course I can, everyone fucking can, it's not impressive in the slighest. It's just dumb.
>>
>>7881853
It's only impressive if you multi-task... I've trained myself to have each eye read a book independently: thus I achieve a much higher words per minute ratio.
>>
>>7881857
I do this but I also listen to two different audiobooks simultaneously
One in left ear and one in right ear
>>
>>7881861
I do this too but I also have two braille books, one with left hand one with right
>>
>>7881866
This, although I also have my girlfriend motion the words of a 7th book with her tongue on my dick
>>
>>7881866
i do this too but i also have two aryan virgins, one sucking my penis the other stroking my scrotum
>>
>>7881836
Anabasis by Xenophon
>>
>>7881872
This, but I also have a servant spraying my nose with fragrances associated with memories of past books I want to revise, one in each nostril
>>
>>7881879
why would he call it the expedition of cyrus? from what i remember doesn't cyrus get killed in like the first 10 pages
>>
>>7881792
Do whatever. As long as you keep reading good books you will find your way eventually. and you will realize it is a spook
>>
Do you have boundaries for yourself?
Stuff that people do that you don't accept, point that make you dismiss people?
>>
>>7881888
Anabasis means travelling into a country from the coast. The book itself is actually named after the mercenaries' expedition INTO Persia, even though the book mostly concerns the famous katabasis. They were Cyrus' expedition as they were hired by Cyrus.
>>
>>7882134
i know what anabasis means retard, it's what it's actually called, which is why i'm asking why he would call it the expedition of cyrus, especially since cyrus has nothing to do with the point of the book
>>
>>7882140
I was trying to explain that sometimes names aren't autistically rigid descriptions of a book's content. You know, like how the book mainly concerns a katabasis, but it's named Anabasis anyway because that's how it begins, or how it concerns the adventures of "Expedition of Cyrus" even after Cyrus' death!
>>
>>7882170
well you'd have a point if we weren't talking about a book that everyone has called the anabasis for over 2000 years
>>
>>7882177
That is my point

Common names/translations for Anabasis in English:
>The Persian Expedition
>The March Up Country
>The Expedition of Cyrus
>Expeditio Cyri (The Expedition of Cyrus)

It's about the Expedition of Cyrus. Just because there's a reversal, even early on, doesn't mean it has to be called "The Flight of the Former Expedition of Cyrus, Presently Not Really Much of an Expedition Anymore but More Like a Motley Crew of Greeks with Hastily Elected Leadership (Though for a Few Minutes Tentatively Called the Expedition of Ariaeus), Toward The Coast and Out of Persia (While The Expeditions of Not-Cyrus Tried to Kill Us)"
>>
>>7882202
none of those are common names in english.
i'd love to see you go search 2000 years of documents and compare how often it was referred to as anabasis and how often it was referred to as "the march up country" lol.

i googled "expedition of cyrus" turns out it's what oxford press decided to title their pleb paperback version of it, presumably so they can market it to idiots who would otherwise be afraid of a scary word
>>
>>7881830
You tried too hard.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (114 KB, 561x457) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
114 KB, 561x457
>>7882210
>none of those are common names in english.

Editions and translations
Anabasis, transl. by Edward Spelman, Esq., Harper & Brothers, New York, 1839.
Anabasis, transl. by Rev. John Selby Watson, Henry G. Bohn, York Street, Covent Garden, 1854.
Xenophon's Anabasis, Seven Books, by William Harper & James Wallace, American Book Co. 1893, English with the books in Greek
Anabasis: The March Up Country, transl. by H[enry] G[raham] Dakyns (1897), reprinted in ELPN Press, 2007, ISBN 1-934255-03-3. Also available in Project Gutenberg.
Expeditio Cyri, ed. by E.C. Marchant, Oxford Classical Texts, Oxford 1904, ISBN 0-19-814554-3
Anabasis, transl. by C.L. Brownson, Loeb Classical Library, 1922, rev. 1989, ISBN 0-674-99101-X
The March Up Country: A translation of Xenophon's Anabasis into plain English, transl. by W.H.D. Rouse, Nelson, London 1947.
The Persian Expedition, transl. by Rex Warner (1950), introduction by George Cawkwell (1972), Penguin Classics 2004 (ISBN 9780140440072).
The Expedition of Cyrus, transl. by Robin Waterfield, Oxford World's Classics, Oxford, 2005, ISBN 0-19-282430-9
Xenophon's Retreat by Robin Waterfield, is an accessible companion for anyone needing to be filled in on the historical, military and political background. Faber & Faber, 2006, ISBN 978-0-674-02356-7

Look, there's an "accessible" version with your preferred title!
>>
>>7882217
how? i won
>>
>>7882222
> Written in 4th century BC.
> Anon goes back 200 years for references

fuckin kek.
also, notice how the titles get progressively more retarded as we approach the current year. that means for like 90% of history it was called the anabasis and that's what it will be called whenever it is referenced in another work
keep hugging your gay title from 2005 pleb
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.