[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any of you familiar with the Inheritance series of books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (67 KB, 487x720) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
67 KB, 487x720
Are any of you familiar with the Inheritance series of books?
I am thinking of a passage describing why there must be a balance between spellcasters and soldiers in an army.
I searched the books for keywords, but came up empty.
>>
lmao, are you in kindergarten?

read actual literature
>>
>>7881327
I read the books many years ago, but the memory just recently resurfaced.
>>
>>7881327
>I only read mature literature for mature people like myself
>tips ledora
>>
>>7881327
That was a shitty post. I don't mind reading YA stuff sometimes, it can't all be the memes. If you ever want to talk about books at all you have an opinion about some rubbish.
>>
File: wewlawd.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
wewlawd.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>7881913
>Admitting to finding enjoyment in YA
>>
>>7881927
It's just words

Some are good some are bad. Just words m8
>>
>>7881325
I can't remember the exact location, but I believe it is something like this: You need enough mages to protect the soldiers from other mages. You also need enough soldiers, or the enemy soldiers will just come kill your mages while they're locked in a wizards duel.
>>
>>7883875
Found it!

“Abandoning the subject, Oromis asked, “How would you kill with magic?”
“I’ve done it many ways,” said Eragon. “I’ve hunted with a pebble—moving and aiming it with magic—as well as using the word jierda to break Urgals’ legs and necks. Once, with thrysta, I stopped a man’s heart.”
“There are more efficient methods,” revealed Oromis. “What does it take to kill a man, Eragon? A sword through the chest? A broken neck? The loss of blood? All it takes is for a single artery in the brain to be pinched off, or for certain nerves to be severed. With the right spell, you could obliterate an army.”
“I should have thought of that in Farthen Dûr,” said Eragon, disgusted with himself. Not just Farthen Dûr either, but also when the Kull chased us from the Hadarac Desert. “Again, why didn’t Brom teach me this?”
“Because he did not expect you to face an army for months or years to come; it is not a tool given to untested Riders.”
“If it’s so easy to kill people, though, what’s the point of us or Galbatorix raising an army?”
“To be succinct, tactics. Magicians are vulnerable to physical attack when they are embroiled in their mental struggles. Therefore, they need warriors to protect them. And the warriors must be shielded, at least in part, from magical attacks, else they would be slain within minutes. These limitations mean that when armies confront one another, their magicians are scattered throughout the bulk of their forces, close to the edge but not so close as to be in danger. The magicians on both sides open their minds and attempt to sense if anyone is using or is about to use magic. Since their enemies might be beyond their mental reach, magicians also erect wards around themselves and their warriors to stop or lessen long-range attacks, such as a pebble sent flying toward their head from a mile away.”
“Surely one man can’t defend an entire army,” said Eragon.
“Not alone, but with enough magicians, you can provide a reasonable amount of protection. The greatest danger in this sort of conflict is that a clever magician may think of a unique attack that can bypass your wards without tripping them. That itself could be enough to decide a battle.
“Also,” said Oromis, “you must keep in mind that the ability to use magic is exceedingly rare among the races. We elves are no exception, although we have a greater allotment of spellweavers than most, as a result of oaths we bound ourselves with centuries ago. The majority of those blessed with magic have little or no appreciable talent; they struggle to heal even so much as a bruise.”
>>
>>7884121
Neat.
>>
>>7881325
Why is /lit/ so e/lit/eist
>>
>>7884212
why are you so awful
>>
Can someone explain how the series is bad? Other than just being a rehash of Star wars and LOTR.
>>
holy fuck i forgot about this series, i never read the last one

>>7884259
wasn't it written by a teen who's parents owned the publishing company?
>>
>>7884188
^.^

>>7884259
There are some legitimate criticisms.

inheritance.wikia.com/wiki/Criticism_of_the_Inheritance_Cycle

Unrealistic warfare, incorrect use of language, scientific discrepancies, other inconsistencies, Eragon's relationship with Saphira, convenient plot miracles, and writing style.

Nothing terribly impossible to overlook.
>>
>>7881327

>i shit on a series without justification because it makes me feel smart

Pleb.
>>
>>7881927

>Implying a genre is a superlative stricture upon quality

Intellectually lazy pleb.
>>
>>7884259

Kek. Only the first book is like SW:ANH (SW:ANH wasn't original either, both utilized an existing archetype); honestly, the first book is more different than SW:ANH than TFA was. Also, IC is nothing like LOTR (they just use the same races who are portrayed entirely differently). IC is severely underrated.
>>
>>7881325
DUDE STAR WARS AND LORD OF THE RINGS LMAO
>>
>>7881325
I read the first three books in high school. Tried to read the last one, but I could never really get into it. Wasn't the most original series ever, but it was fun.
>>
>>7884121
I always found it funny that nothing of this came up during the battle of Farthen Dûr, like I know later in the books there's mention of groups of men keeling over, but there was nothing of it in the original book.

I know he probably added it later, but that was the first time my adolescent mind caught a plot hole.
>>
>>7884510
It's basically because Paolini didn't think of it until he started writing the second book, but he still wanted to have it because he thought it'd be cool.
>>
>>7884430
it's starwars
>>
>>7884121

That's some proper autism in that dialogue. You've just reminded me how bad those books were.
>>
>>7884449

>they just use the same races who are portrayed entirely differently

And the same characters, same names, same dialogue, same enemies, same enigmas (well, Tom Bombadil was much better than Angela the shoehorn). It's like he watched Star Wars, read Lord of the Rings, and kept flicking through Dragonriders of Pern to steal ideas. Exactly what you'd expect from an unimaginative kid suffering from autism.
>>
What if /lit/ tries to write a fantasy novel better than Eragon, would we be able to do it?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.