[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wuthering Heights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: wuthering-heights.jpg (38 KB, 300x475) Image search: [Google]
wuthering-heights.jpg
38 KB, 300x475
I had to drag myself to finish this novel for an assignment. What the fuck are women's problems with themselves? How is Heathcliff an ideal guy?

I was raging most of the time I was reading this book. Catherine was Heathcliff's equal - THIS is true love? What the fuck, man. Did I miss something? This is a well-written novel with absolutely shit characters. Am I supposed to like this?
>>
>>7881063
Some women are retards. That's not news.
>>
>>7881063
>shit characters
did the characters hurt your feelings? did you feel you could not relate to you bland little life? :((((
>>
>>7881063
>Women are retards
Tale as old as time
>>
>>7881063
BITCHES AND HOES: the novel
>>
File: brontessm.png (187 KB, 800x564) Image search: [Google]
brontessm.png
187 KB, 800x564
>>7881063

I think you're taking Emily Bronte's flaws a bit too personally. Yes, she was nuts; no, Heathcliffe is not an ideal guy. Yes, it's a commonly recognised trend that some women are attracted to abusive men; no, let's not extrapolate that into some kind of sweeping 'what the fuck are women's problems' anger as if plenty of men don't make poor romantic choices too.

You have to read this novel as a product of its time. It exalts passion and personal integrity above all else, and especially above the very Victorian virtues of decent, mannerly conduct and conventional bourgeois morality (as exemplified to one degree or another by Edgar and Lockwood). In that sense, it's quite radical. You don't have to agree with it or approve of its conclusions to appreciate the breath of fresh air that it represents compared to, for instance, Jane Eyre.

It's also up there as one of the greatest evocations of a landscape and atmosphere in literature.

tl;dr forget any 'Catherine Heathcliffe OTP greatest love story ever' nonsense that you may have been exposed to by your teacher or anybody else, and appreciate the book for what it is, which is an intense insight into a disturbed but creatively gifted mind.
>>
>>7881162
Well said bro.
>>
>>7881162
great post.
also worth noting that emily herself said that heathcliff was unredeemed and a cruel man
>>
>>7881162
Fuck me, I was born in Victorian England. That's precisely why I like Jane Eyre. We were raised to be conservative, values-oriented children so I appreciated Jane's propriety.

I fucking hated Heathcliff and Catherine because of that. They made a travesty out of what I believe is love so I raged.
>>
>>7881570
how are you even alive right now
>>
WHAT IS LOVE
BABY DON'T HURT
DON'T HURT ME
NO MORE
>>
>>7881162
r u a grill?
>>
>>7881746

nah m8
>>
>>7881162
All that text could have been trivialized to
>get cucked
>btfo everyone
>>
>>7883231
You're an idiot
>>
>>7883256
Fuck off niglet.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.