[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't we talk about this book more? I mean is the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 51JualVjqgL.jpg (42 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
51JualVjqgL.jpg
42 KB, 324x500
Why don't we talk about this book more? I mean is the best anti war novel out there.
>>
Shame it wasn't finished, I enjoyed the ambiguity around whether Svejk was being subversive and rebellious, or if he was just really thick.
>>
i havne't read it cause its size.
>>
>>7880594
>He doesn't know it's full of pictures
>>
>>7880586
Yeah, it's too bad it wasn't finished. From the introduction to the first book it seems like Svejk was supposed to play a major role in war.

Also love that it got more and more centered around food at the end, and that the author ate himself to death irl.
>>
>>7880986
oooh that's why people are afraid for GRRM...
>>
>>7880405
>the best anti-war novel
That would be All Quiet on the Western Front.
>>
To be honest I only really liked the first book. After that the chapters get stupidly long and because the whole thing is so meandering and directionless I found myself getting lost in it all. Took me about 2 years to get through it.

Even so I thought the first book was very funny indeed, few books I have read have been able to make me laugh as hard as Svejk.

Anyone else been to the Chalice?
>>
>>7880405
>the best anti-war novel
That would be All Quiet on the Western Front.
>>
>>7881017
Is there a "war is hell" lit chart?
>>
>>7880405
>anti-war

fucking dropped
>>
>>7881026
It's also anti-statist, anti-semite, anti-kraut, anti-bureaucrazy, anti-monarchy and probably some more.
>>
I read it when I was ten, so I don’t remember much, but I found the first one very funny, the second less so and the third I never finished. To an extent it comes from the same themes and the same humour being recycled over and over again – while at first it is quite funny the novelty wears off later on. Part of the reason is that I attempted to read them in a row during the course of two weeks.
>>
So there's Svejk for WWI and Catch-22 for WWII. Are there any other funny books about war?
>>
I loved the humor and tone. It's obvious it had as little to do with inspiring catch 22.

However as others (and the forward iirc) have said...it needed editing so bad that before even halfway into it you feel like you're reading the same joke over and over. it gets old quick then it's a chore to finish.
>>
>>7881562
Read spike milligan's, "puckoon." It's about "the troubles" with Ireland and the u.k. you will literally laugh out loud while reading it.
>>
>>7880405
What a weird choice for the cover.
>>
>>7880405
Read it for my Eastern Europe history class. It wasn't bad, M8.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.