[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /lit/ think of pic related and c.s. lewis in general?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 312x475
what does /lit/ think of pic related and c.s. lewis in general?
>>
>>7879421
He's a good author as introduction to literature and theology, but I don't think of him as a writer for serious literature or philosophy.
Used to like him a lot more obviously
>>
>>7879421
The Screwtape Letters is great, everything else is trash.
>>
screwtape letters is okay, but I liked his nonfiction better

imo the allegory of love and the discarded image are his best
>>
>>7879421
Four Loves was nice
Screwtape Letters was pretty good
Mere Christianity is alright
>>
>>7879421
Once, in high school, a teacher told me that that book and the Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers reminded her of me. I've been too chickenshit to read either book since.
>>
>>7880266

Those are probably his best popular works. He has some decent academic writing on medieval literature as well, but it (obviously) isn't very widely read.
>>
>>7879421
He's a charming writer and a pretty smart dude! As far as introductions to apologetics, theology, and literature goes you could do a lot worse than C.S. Lewis.
>>
Some bible thumper i know who sticks his nose into everything and constantly sucks jesus's dick keeps telling me to read the Screwtape Letters. Is it a waste of time?
>>
ashamed to say i've only read The Chronicles of Narnia. Never experimented with Lewis any further. What should I read?
>>
>>7883279
If you unironically use the phrase "sucks jesus's dick" then you probably wouldn't enjoy it. But, it's not bad.
>>
It was funny. It made me become a Christian. Not really. I liked it tho.
>>
>>7883501
Well lets just say if jesus was on the cross physically before this guy, he would literally suck jesus's dick on the cross. But so would I, I guess.
>>
>>7883699

>misunderstanding and confusing brotherly love and even love for the creator with a desire for cock

Atleast you admit to your hunger for cock
>>
>>7879421
His apologetic writing, though popular, is pretty poor in the field. The Narnia books are also popular, and children like them, but they're not as good as people say (2 of them are quite good, actually, but the rest are adequate). His medieval literary crit is still useful as is his Experiement in Criticism (would should be an introductory textbook in first year English classes).

Of his scifi books, the first 2 are quite good and the third is not.

Without a doubt, his greatest novel is Til We Have Faces, which is a retelling of Cupid and Psyche in ancient norhtern europe with a strong incestuous lesbian subtext. Very good book.
>>
>>7883823
ive seen this before at the bookstore. i dont hear about it very often. i should read it sometime
>>
>>7883287
Screwtape letters and mere christianity, not memeing. He might not be the "best" aithor ever but those are still great imo
>>
>>7879421
Like an evolved from of a Hitchens Brother his eloquence is of a vastly higher caliber than his ideas which initially can make them seem far sounder than they actually are
>>
>>7885040
Agreed.
But even in that he's I would say inferior to Chesterton, who is a fantastic stylist. But out of the British Christian authors the best whom I've encountered were John Henry Newman and Hilaire Belloc. Newman was a true intellectual, his writing is well researched and argumented and Belloc spins a narrative almost like a Marxist, but to a completely different end.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.