[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the essays in this any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Ctl2.jpg (10 KB, 211x325) Image search: [Google]
Ctl2.jpg
10 KB, 211x325
Are the essays in this any good?
>>
I enjoyed them a lot
>>
File: 1422319661091.png (110 KB, 445x464) Image search: [Google]
1422319661091.png
110 KB, 445x464
>>7879250
I was a moron and read Wallace to see what all the fuss was about, including the entirety of IJ and I have come to the conclusion that I largely am not a fan, particularly of his prose works and short stories. Despite thinking he is a big meme, I found some of the essays sober, coherent and actually kind of fun to read too. I'd say the ones he did in Consider the Lobster are probably his best.
>>
Consider the Lobster is pretty insightful.

if you haven't read it yet, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again is probably his best.

All memeing aside, I truly wish he was still with us. We'll never have another Wallace, or a writer that can do what he does. All we have left to do is keep scrapping together what's left of him, reminding ourselves of the hole he's left us in.
>>
>>7879302
Truth. People love to shout 'meme' without reading various works, but DFW was the real deal.
>>
File: 3671206489_273a24332c_b[1].jpg (408 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
3671206489_273a24332c_b[1].jpg
408 KB, 1024x685
>>7879250

just bought the book and opened it randomly into pic related.

wtf
>>
>>7879301
Are you me?
>>
They're pretty entertaining. I'd say the one about 9/11 is the weakest, and apparently the one about language is not well supported by people who seriously study linguistics, but it was at least entertaining to a pleb like me.
>>
>>7879557
He was criticizing linguistics in the essay, of course they don't like it.
>>
File: DFW.jpg (28 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DFW.jpg
28 KB, 800x600
Just shut up and eat the fucking lobster.
>>
>>7879250

What do you mean, "good"?
>>
>>7879521
If you already bought it, then read that shit. He's an entertaining writer and worth reading even if you end up hating his stuff
>>
>>7881948

"He's an entertaining writer..."

Do you intend to suggest Wallace is universally or otherwise mind-independently an intrinsically "entertaining" writer?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.