[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Multatuli/Max Havelaar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: max_havelaar_omslag[1].jpg (24 KB, 201x300) Image search: [Google]
max_havelaar_omslag[1].jpg
24 KB, 201x300
I'm at page 53 or so and this is a pain in the ass to read. Is this going to get good?
>>
>>7878072
It didn't for me. Max Havelaar is one of those books that for a large part owes it's fame to it's historical significance. And if you ignore the historical aspect and look at it as just a work of literature then it is clearly flawed. I found it a real chore to read back in school and I don't think I would recommend it to anyone (especially not to schoolchildren) except people extremely interested in the historical aspect.

Dutch books I did like:
Dichtertje by Nescio (very very short) and The Discovery of Heaven by Mulisch (long but not at all difficult and a joy to read)
>>
Wolkers and Jan Cremer are one of the few enjoyable Dutch writers
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 180x280
I read De Engelenmaker from Stefan Brijs recently and thought it was great. Might be worth looking into if you're looking for good Dutch literature.
>>
Read Nescio instead, he's the GOAT.
>>
>>7878984
You could read all of his work in a day but I haven't come across a better Dutch writer
>>
>>7878072
The whole book is a plea to reform the Dutch colonial system on Java, and nothing more. It gets marginally better towards the end, but if you're already struggling now you might as well give up and read something better.
>>
>>7878072
Read Bordewijk instead, he is a quality Writer.
>>
The collected "ideas" all 10 volumes, are fun to browse. Gave up on max havelaar as well
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.