[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stefan Zweig
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
So i found a first edition of Stefan Zweig's only novel, "Beware of Pity" for just under a 100 dollars in an old bookstore this week. The owner didn't seem to know who he was so I quickly scooped it up.

Upon closer look I noticed that Zweig signed the first page. It still has the original dust jacket also. He would have needed to sign it between 1939-1942 before he killed himself which leads me to suspects it's rare indeed - if authentic.

Any idea how I can get this book appraised?

Also Stefan Zweig thread - any other /lit/izens enjoy his work?
>>
I love Stefan Zweig tbqh
You should take your book to a shop that sells antique books or, even better, a library that has some kind of professional staff and have someone look over it. Don't sell it at a shop though, since you'd probably be ripped of if this is actually authentic.
>>
Look for a local book collector who is not a retard

You could find ballpark shit on there internet but it's not definitive
>>
>>7877863
never heard of him before now but "Amok" sounds interesting.

is he worth reading in English?
>>
>>7877878
>>7877879
Gents - appreciate the response. I'll do some research.

It's unfortunate that he's somewhat forgotten still. Wes Anderson was a big fan of his work which he said inspired Grand Budapest Hotel.

I stumbled across a plaque in Vienna a few months ago bearing his name at the location of his former apartment. It's unfortunate that I was only semi-cognizant of him at that time.

cheers!
>>
Is the autograph printed?

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=16649202939&searchurl=tn%3Dbeware%2520of%2520pity%26an%3Dstefan%2520zweig%26fe%3Don

>This book is bound in royal-blue cloth boards with gilt lettering on the front and spine. Covers have some wear, light spotting; some browning to endpapers, most inner pages clean. Ex-lib., with minimal exterior markings; bookplate on front inner board. Book summary (possible DJ clipping?) is pasted down to front endpaper above the author's autograph. The book is translated from the German by Phyllis and Trevor Blewitt. 498 pages; approx. 6"x9". Bookseller Inventory # P6568
>>
>>7877888

American here. Zweig is a lost master, and "Amok" is a great place to start.

"Letter From an Unknown Woman" is great as well. Haven't read his other works thus far.
>>
File: IMG_0215.jpg (295 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0215.jpg
295 KB, 1334x750
>>7877927
Rather than attempt to describe the autograph I've taken a picture. Thoughts?
>>
>>7877946
Shit nigger, that looks pretty authentic to me
>>
love Zweig, probably the greatest German author that is not well known.

German as in using the German language, I'm aware he was Austrian.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.