[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. So I've been reading Trainspoting recently and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 300x450
Hey guys. So I've been reading Trainspoting recently and I have some questions.
-what would you call the style of writing and why is it that Welsh is able to get away with it? I am not talking about the Scottish dialect, what I am wondering about is Welsh's lack of quotation marks and switching back and forth from rents voice to anothe charecter talking in the same paragraph. There are times when it can actually be difficult and confusing when multiple characters are speaking. Even if it is because it is from Rent's perspective it is still jumbled and often incoherent yet enjoyable.

-do you believe that rent is and enjoyable protagonist because he comes off as very authentic and yet not condescending, it often feels as though we are discovering things with him.

-why has it aged so well?
>>
Nobody cares you fat cunt, this board is for memes, not discussion of literature.
>>
Suuup Betsy.
>>
Havent read it.
>>
I haven't read Trainspotting -- saw like 1/4 of the movie though -- but another author, Hubert Selby Jr., did this all the time, most notably in Last Exit to Brooklyn.

It's generally done out of necessity: for example, the majority of Selby's work was done in a hospital bed and he was pretty illiterate. These sorts of books, Trainspotting included, get away with it because their content is authentic and genuinely interesting.

99% of Americans and Brits couldn't pull it off, you and me included.
>>
Do your own homework you lazy underaged bitch
>>
File: 4716313810_e655ca1248_b.jpg (357 KB, 994x1024) Image search: [Google]
4716313810_e655ca1248_b.jpg
357 KB, 994x1024
It is just a style choice.

Switching between characters is not a new thing. He gets away with it because each of the little scenes are interesting.

Consistency.
>>
File: image.jpg (249 KB, 736x776) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
249 KB, 736x776
>>7877150
I've only seen the movie (and disliked it).

I'd say it works as a kind of picaresque novel of the lower order.... In the context of a deeply linear society, these characters wind up viewing everything at an odd angle. Kind of an earnest depiction of the very fringe of life?

It could be compared to 'The Golden Ass' I suppose ...whereby chemicals take the place of Pagan magic?
>>
File: 1459011816309.jpg (20 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
1459011816309.jpg
20 KB, 500x326
>>7877150
The same thing is done with dialogue in blood meridian
>>
>>7877613
Go back to meme posting if you don't want to disscus things.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.