[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is journalism just prostitution? I looked at a random article
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: download (1).jpg (5 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5 KB, 264x191
Is journalism just prostitution? I looked at a random article from a book of George Orwell's collected writings and it was a 3 page article on Hitler in 1940. I'm not pol but it was an article before Hitler was synonymous with evil. It was an op-ed with shallow dilletantish opinions. Seeing an op-ed on what is now regarded by current journalists as synonymous with evil really highlighted the worthlessness of the article.

Also I looked at DFW's "a supposedly...". I had to stop reading after one page because of the ten million sweeping vague bites of wisdom (I.e. BS). " All cats represent a type of sadness." "Jelly is the post structuralism of desserts." Etc.

Christopher Hitchens's book of journalism was unreadable. He has read every book in existence and he's not afraid to name-drop ten times a sentence and talk about the Greeks, Romans, and Shakespeare for at least half of every article.
>>
>>7876535

Life is prostitution. Now get suckin', faggot.
>>
File: bloomy.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bloomy.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
>>7876535

>Is journalism just prostitution? I looked at a random article from a book of George Orwell's collected writings and it was a 3 page article on Hitler in 1940. I'm not pol but it was an article before Hitler was synonymous with evil. It was an op-ed with shallow dilletantish opinions. Seeing an op-ed on what is now regarded by current journalists as synonymous with evil really highlighted the worthlessness of the article.

>Also I looked at DFW's "a supposedly...". I had to stop reading after one page because of the ten million sweeping vague bites of wisdom (I.e. BS). " All cats represent a type of sadness." "Jelly is the post structuralism of desserts." Etc.

>Christopher Hitchens's book of journalism was unreadable. He has read every book in existence and he's not afraid to name-drop ten times a sentence and talk about the Greeks, Romans, and Shakespeare for at least half of every article.

tee hee...Harriet doesn't realize lit is dead, yet? Shhhh! Nobody tell 'em.

Listen, man, people need to stop pretending like probably 85% of famous historical figures wouldn't be doing the same shit as the famous people today. Obviously, there are a few autists that would still be hermits or be so fucking autistic they can't put their names or faces out in public without going absolutely fucking batshit crazy and we wouldn't hear about until after they died, but the truth is, we've had those geniuses, too, and everything turned out fine.

Quit following this meme that you shouldn't be trying to get seen in any form of media that is willing to give you a platform. Whoever is going to publish your writing, go get it published.

In the past, only one book was written because it was expensive as fuck to print and once somebody said something in a book, they didn't want to go back and reeiterate what they were saying. Now, this shit is so disposable, people revisit the same ideas all the time because people just throw the stuff away. Write, collect certain things over time, and publish a collection. Shit's how it is. Ben Franklin got famous off of sweeping vague bites of wisdom.

All those ancient greek philosophers and enlightenment thinkers and 18th century revolutionaries and 19th century essayists and whoever else would be the bloggers and journalists of today. Shakespeare would be in Hollywood or finishing up his new Netflix original, Romeo & Juliet. Yada yada yada.

Of course, some would still be writing books, but by and large, they'd all be in a wide variety of mediums.
>>
>>7876581
Nah, that can't be right
>>
>>7876581

you're a delusional relativist.
>>
>>7876632

Why? Explain yourself.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.