[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw he was right about video chat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: dfw1.jpg (17 KB, 550x449) Image search: [Google]
dfw1.jpg
17 KB, 550x449
>tfw he was right about video chat
>>
And trump
>>
What'd he say about it
>>
What did he say about video chat
>>
>>7875750

I wonder how he would react to being alive today at the ways we watch content.
>>
>>7875750
What did he say about it (video chat)?
>>
>>7875769
That it would fail as a medium because when you are video chatting, the people you are talking to lose the illusion that they are getting your full undivided attention. Where as when talking on the phone you can be distracted, while still maintaining the illusion that you are interested and fully concentrated on what they are saying.
>>
>>7875800
I find having videochat open while you and the other person both do your own thing, occasionally having little bouts of conversation, to be very comfy.
>>
>>7875800
he said video chat is gay cuz u can't jack off while on video chat without the person ur chatting with noticing.
>>
>>7875822
I find it awkward. I'd rather talk on the phone. Having to stare at a little hologram of somebody is just weird. Have we really gotten so conceited we feel that our friends not only have to hear us but also take in our physical beauty while listening?
>>
>>7875833
or maybe it's to simulate real conversation you turd
>>
Also I have seen a lot of people here say 9/11 makes infinite jest outdated.

>writes huge novel in 1996 with terrorists pissed off at america because of excess
>probably stolen from delillo though
>>
>>7875836
I see no benefits over talking on the phone
>>
>>7875833
It's about seeing them, not them seeing you lol.
>>
>>7875846
well if it's about seeing them then to them it would be about seeing you. so by engaging in a video chat you are both saying you want to be viewed and you want to view them.
>>
> Wallace committed suicide on September 12, 2008, at age 46. Wallace's father reported in an interview that his son had suffered fromdepressionfor more than 20 years and thatantidepressantmedication had allowed him to be productive.[41]When Wallace experienced severe side effects from the medication, he attempted to wean himself from his primary antidepressant,phenelzine.[42]On his doctor's advice, Wallace stopped taking the medication in June 2007,[41]and the depression returned. Wallace received other treatments, includingelectroconvulsive therapy. When he returned to phenelzine, he found that it had lost its effectiveness.[42]His wife kept a watchful eye on him in the following days, but on September 12, Wallace went into the garage, wrote a two-page note, and arranged part of the manuscript forThe Pale Kingbefore hanging himself from a patio rafter.[48]

As someone who just found out DFW is dead, fuck me. His wiki is pretty interesting, actually.

> stalker tendencies
> loved dogs
> sexually awkward
>>
>>7875892
you are retarded
>>
>>7875890
For each person it's about seeing the other person, what are you not getting about this
>>
>>7875892
yeah its sad. he'd still be in his prime right now, possibly pumping out masterpieces.

What are we gonna do when Pynchon, McCarthy and DeLillo die?
>>
File: 1421091269140.jpg (23 KB, 398x400) Image search: [Google]
1421091269140.jpg
23 KB, 398x400
which means there is an implicit understanding that you are consenting to be watched. Shouldn't you be in school right now, junior?
>>
>>7875892
>arranged part of the manuscript for The Pale King

Shit
>>
why does everyone in this thread have a name? for what purpose?
>>
>>7876090
shut it marta
>>
>>7876090
April fool's day is the assumption at this hour. No confirmation.
>>
>>7875750
WHAT A GENIUS!
>>
he was so right about it. who the fuck uses facetime anymore. that was a huge selling feature for a year or less lol. now no one talks about it or uses it.
>>
Netflix, too
>>
>>7875842
i thought this way until last weekend, I was at the airport during a layover and a business man sat near me and video called his family. you could tell he travels alot and doesnt get to see his kids much. even his dog joined in and recognized him. it was pretty touching to observe from a distance.
>>
>>7875800
DFW was actually wrong about this, though. People skype all the time, it's really no big deal.
>>
>>7877371
But a Skype call is different from a phone call. They fulfill two different purposes.
>>
>>7877471
yeah dumbass. he's more talking facetime iPhone bullshit and actual video phones. man your dumb.
>>
When did he say this stuff about video chat?
>>
>>7878142
Fuuuuuck you.
>>
>>7878142
around pg 150 in infinite jest.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.