[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so what's the deal with Dover Thrift? Are they worth getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 9780486272665.jpg (57 KB, 372x400) Image search: [Google]
9780486272665.jpg
57 KB, 372x400
so what's the deal with Dover Thrift?
Are they worth getting or just objective shit?
The prices somehow seem too good to be true
>>
>>7875092
They're the kind of books that would get passed out to you in class when you were going to read a book together in school.
They're just standard paperbacks.
Their biggest flaw is that they have very minimal critical apparatus - ho-hum introduction and almost no foot/end notes
>>
>>7875119
introductions to classics are kind of like cum tributes.
>>
>not collecting Wordsworth editions like a true patrician
>>
>>7875129
whatever
>>
>>7875092
I like them. I've got about a dozen of them. For $4 a pop I expected them to be a lot shittier, but they're actually alright. I only have two complaints: the covers are sometimes hideous and they smell a bit funny.
>>
>>7875092
I came here for the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I'd like to share this audiobook, read by Ian McKellen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1raSUYAr0s0
>>
>>7875764
I never knew I needed this until today. Thanks based anon.
>>
What's going on with these names
>>
>>7875148
>wordsworth
enjoy your book falling apart after 2 reads.
>>
>>7875807
I can understand that the googley theme is an april fools joke, but what's with the influx of redditors? Is this part of the prank? It sure as hell isn't summer yet.
>>
>>7875092
OP they all have the same content. They'll probably get damaged a little more over time if you treat them like shit, but overall you don't need a book filled with footnotes, you have the internet to look up any companions, summaries or critical essays. There's nothing wrong with Dover Thrift's they're cheap and have bad covers and all the same content. If you're in to collecting interesting editions of books for the aesthetics of the physical text, then these won't cut it. If you just want books to read/own, then they're fine.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.