[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
H.P. Lovecraft?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Lovecraft.jpg (137 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft.jpg
137 KB, 620x412
Where should I start with H.P. Lovecraft? My friend is going to send me on audiobooks of H.P. Lovecraft's works, and I'm wondering where I should start.

I was thinking of starting with 'The Rats in the Walls', but I'm not so sure.

What do you think, /lit/?
>>
I read 'The Rats in the Walls' first, and that worked as a solid introduction for me. I don't think it's hugely important where you start though
Have fun
>>
I started with the Shadow Over Innsmouth, and I think it was a pretty solid introduction. It is a large story, more like a novella, and it contains every Lovecraftian theme except for his later more cosmic phase.

If you want to start in a non-committal way, read Call of Cthulhu or a couple of short stories like The Rats in the Walls and Dagon. Don't start with a story like 'The Color Out of Space'.
>>
>>7873953
Honestly just get one of those big collections of his stories and start readin'. I've read like 20 and they're all good shit
>>
The Gable Window is a pretty good introduction IMO. Short, digestible but really catches the Lovecraftian vibe.
Leave shit like At The Mountains of Madness for later, those require some experience with the mythos.
>>
The Festival, read up from there, then read down.
>>
>>7873953
>audiobooks
>>
Start with On the Creation of Niggers.
>>
>>7873953
Anything but At the Mountains of Madness. AtMoM is a long read and one of his best; if you read that first then you may not care to read the rest.
>>
>>7874066
That's what happened to me. I tried to read Call of Cthulu afterwards and found it too boring to finish. Love At the Mountains though.
>>
>>7873953
Pickman's Model is pretty short and pretty good.
>>
>>7873953
Tbh senpai you can start anywhere with le spooky cosmic racism man.
>>
File: 1335019.jpg (26 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
1335019.jpg
26 KB, 309x475
>>7873953
this has everything you need
>>
>>7873953
Read his short stories first, and then move on to his novels. It's like a spooky uphill rollercoaster.
Except there was no roller coasters in the 1930's, and there was lots of nigger puns.
>>
search lovecraft on youtube, they have audiobooks of all his works
>>
>>7874039
So, was Lovecraft redpilled?
>>
File: sh3.png (1 MB, 1025x1024) Image search: [Google]
sh3.png
1 MB, 1025x1024
do people actually like lovecraft, and if they do, why?

I tried reading some of his works (translations, apart from Dagon)- including the statement of Randolph Carter, The dream quest of unknown Kadath, and the silver key

I thought the Statement had a certain charm to it, had fun reading it while taking a shit- but the dream quest dragged on, was confusing, I kept losing track of anything important of it, and the only things that particularly stick to me as great parts were when the nightgaunts took Carter, and all the interactions with the cats

I read some of Robert E.Howards Conan stories afterwards, and they were much more pleasant to read

redpill me on lovecraft, and convince me that I just started off with weak stuff- im not a particularly avid reader, as I only started recently in preparation for writing my own book, so that might have something to do with it
>>
Has anyone read his poem "The Messenger" closely or done an analysis on it? I'm currently stumped on this stanza and I would really like to have a discussion about it here.

"He had not meant it—no—but still I lit
Another lamp as starry Leo climbed
Out of the Seekonk, and a steeple chimed
Three—and the firelight faded, bit by bit."
>>
>>7875934

If you're asking if he was a racist the answer is yes
>>
>>7876886
and homophobic
>>
>>7874066
This is how I just started :/

How do I save myself?
>>
>>7876908
racism I can understand but homophobia is too far
>>
>>7876915
It isn't exactly hard to justify homophobia, pretty much every civilization prior to 1970 did it.
>>
Read "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Its like Dunwich but better
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.