[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Based Karl Ove Knausgård reviews Micheal Houellebecq's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: knaussub.jpg (102 KB, 657x500) Image search: [Google]
knaussub.jpg
102 KB, 657x500
Based Karl Ove Knausgård reviews Micheal Houellebecq's Submission

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/books/review/michel-houellebecqs-submission.html?smid=tw-share

Discuss
>>
i say he should stick to describing the turds that he takes

he is no critic
>>
>>7872649
BTFO
>>
“Husymans’s true subject had been bourgeois happiness, a happiness painfully out of reach for a bachelor. ... His idea of happiness was to have his artist friends over for a pot-au-feu with horseradish sauce, accompanied by an ‘honest’ wine and followed by plum brandy and tobacco, with everyone sitting by the stove while the winter winds battered the towers of Saint-Sulpice. These simple pleasures had been denied him.”

Was all this refinement, all this decadence, this misanthropy and disillusionment, were all these religious agonies and scruples merely the sublimation of a longing for the sedate pleasures of a bourgeois life? Was Huysmans’s entire body of work the result of a grandiose self-delusion?

François appears to believe so, and the idea is far from improbable, in fact I find it quite plausible. The disillusioned gaze sees through everything, sees all the lies and the pretenses we concoct to give life meaning, the only thing it doesn’t see is its own origin, its own driving force. But what does that matter as long as it creates great literature, quivering with ambivalence, full of longing for meaning, which, if none is found, it creates itself?
>>
>spends half the review talking about himself

Fuckin Knaus.
>>
>>7872715
topkek
>>
>>7872715
this
>>
>>7872649
kek
>>
>Reads the first sentence of the book.
>Spends, no shit, the next 1000 words talking about it.

God damn, Knausgaard. Bravo. Bravo, Knausgaard. Bravo.

My Struggle, indeed.
>>
>lets hate on Knausgård guys!
The thread
>>
I liked when he called the entire Swedish people a group of single-minded cyclops incapable of abstract moral thought
>>
>>7873171

"Sweden hasn’t had a war on its soil since the seventeenth century and how often did it cross my mind that someone ought to invade Sweden, bomb its buildings, starve the country, shoot down its men, rape its women, and then have some faraway country, Chile or Bolivia, for example, embrace its refugees with kindness, tell them they love Scandinavia, and dump them in a ghetto outside one of the cities there. Just to see what they would say."

Knausgard exposing these oh-so-liberal hypocrites.
>>
has anyone actually read the entire sturggle?
>>
>>7873229

lol. no.

who wants to read an attention whore sell out his entire family for fame?

>>7873159

please go, norway.
>>
>>7873229
twice. no joke.
>>
>>7873229
Just finished book 5. I am listening to on audio book though, i know that is a no no around there but its just amazing, the man reading it is adding to the experience. It goes by fast, its not tedious or hard to get trough.

>>7873237
Its obvious you haven't read him.
>>
I'm as skeptical of this guy as anyone else. But I liked his review.
>>
>>7873247

>Its obvious you haven't read him.

Oh really? Enlighten me. How does he not sell out his entire family? How is he not a sell out by cheaply and cheekily titling his book like Hitler's for the publicity?
>>
>>7873281
it doesn't matter whether he is a sell out or not, the only thing that matters is the work he wrote and its quality.
>>
>>7873288

>it doesn't matter whether he is a sell out or not, the only thing that matters is the work he wrote and its quality.

What a cop out answer that I agree with. He's still a cheap sell out. I'll give you this, he'll make a good biographer someday.
>>
The problem with both Houellebecq and Knausgard are breeders while they seem pretty redpilled on life otherwise.
>>
Based noseguard
>>
>>7873247
I would say the audiobook is the perfect format for that type of book.
>>
>>7873297
what do you mean?
>>
>>7873334
They know that life is horrible but they still create more depressed pieces of shit to wander around aimlessly for no reason.
>>
>>7873354
get over your self you little baby
>>
>>7873359
>whine about how shit life is
>make more life
>dude wow get over urself

Talk the talk, walk the walk anon.
>>
>>7873354
i think they want to be writers, they really don´t wander around aimlessly for no reason, (not entirely), they want to write about it, that´s different. it´s hard to be totally self-honest with something like life is shit everything is shit so am i.
>>
>>7873371
You'll grow out of it some day
>>
>>7873445
You're just in that mid twenties 'edgy conformist' phase, anon, where you think growing up and getting a job and such are somehow the answer and you become aggressively normal in response to grappling with your existential crises for a while. That stage will pass as well when you run out of denial.
>>
>>7873457
And one day you'll enter it after you are done with your edgy "i cant bread because the world is shit " bitching
>>
>>7873509
Not breeding because the world is shit is sound reasoning given that you care about the welfare of your hypothetical offspring.
>>
>>7873457
>>7873509
Tfw im in the middle
>>
>>7873457
These people are the most entertaining, they think that because they were at one point depressed or entertaining nihilistic thoughts that it makes them the voice of authority on the entire topic. The anger with which they lash out at people betrays the flimsiness of the psychological defenses they've constructed against these problems. They feel personally threatened by the ideas because they associate them with a period in their life in which they were unhappy.

Their arguments invariably boil down to some variation on nihilism being a symptom of adolescence or listlessness, as though it weren't a serious issue grappled with by many mature philosophers throughout history.
>>
>>7873537
Today I heard someone say that "the upholding of pervasive subjectivity in regard to art, taste, and opinion, is the second-worst kind of narcissism."
>>
>>7873537
>The anger with problems.
What anger?

>which they lash out at people betrays the flimsiness of the psychological defenses they've constructed against these problems.
Where do you get it from that they have somehow created psychological defenses against these "problems"? And how would you define "psychological defenses" ?

> They feel personally threatened by the ideas because they associate them with a period in their life in which they were unhappy.
Why would they not be threatened by the ideas them self? Was it not those ideas or thoughts that made them miserable in the first place?

>nihilism being a symptom of adolescence
That is because it often is.
>>
>>7872549
>2015
search the fucking archives, idiot
>>
“For who brooded over the meaninglessness of life anymore? Teenagers. They were the only ones who were preoccupied with existential issues, and as a result there was something puerile and immature about them, and hence it was doubly impossible for adults with their sense of propriety intact to deal with them. However, this is not so strange for we never feel more strongly and passionately about life than in our teenage years, when we step into the world for the first time, as it were, and all our feelings are new feelings. So there they are, with their big ideas on small orbits, looking this way and that for an opportunity to launch them, as the pressure builds. And who is it they light upon sooner or later but Uncle Dostoevsky.”
― Karl Ove Knausgård
>>
>>7873662
Teenagers are liable to question things as they try to form their identity but they rarely if ever reach actual nihilistic forms of thought. They often confuse their feelings of depression, confusion, or inadequacy with the various forms of nihilism, and so when they overcome these obstacles they think they have overcome nihilism. This is when they form their basic beliefs about the world, often becoming enamored with some type of political ideology and unthinkingly attaching immense existential importance to the path they're taking in life.
>>
>>7873297
>using the term "breeder"

holy shit, Rust
>>
>>7873229
yes, it is great
>>
>>7875001
>not discriminating against breeders in the current year
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.