[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gardens of Moon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: gom.jpg (56 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
gom.jpg
56 KB, 312x475
Can someone please make a short non-spoiler review? I finished ASOIAF and I want to start some new multivolume fantasy series. Some Anon suggested this to me on a different board so I wondered what /lit/ has to say about it,
>>
DragonballZ with tarot cards.
>>
>>7872266
so 70% filler?
>>
>>7872270
More like 60% of it is pretty decent than massive power creep that takes place of characters and stories. Bone hunters is the last good one imo

House of chains and dead house gates are pretty top notch modern fantasy, for whatever that's worth.
>>
>>7872430
Cool, thnx.
>>
>>7872430
Also consider joe Abercrombie. He never gets as good as malazan but at least he closes stories/has an idea of how books end before he starts.
>>
File: latest.jpg (3 MB, 2090x4926) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
3 MB, 2090x4926
>>7872435
Sure. I saw this image on sticky and cant seem to decide where to start. What about the others?
>>
>>7872435
I'm reading him now and it's absolute trash. I don't remember when was the last time I read a novel without fucking desciptions. He never fucking describes anything and is hailed like sword and sorccery, but only a moron would call a slow 600 page novel sword and sorccery.
>>
>>7872491
My printer is out of colour. Is it ok if its black and white?
>>
>>7872475
Just saw his Wiki. What are exactly young adult novels? That terminology sound pretty retarded.
>>
>>7872263
The first book is filler and badly written. Try to read it with an open mind, try to stop and figure shit out and don't get mad/frustrated when you don't. Same thing applies to the second book. After you finish the first 2 you can judge properly if the series is worth it for you. If not sure by then read the 3 one. The rest (7 books and countless others ) are basically the same but bigger.
>>
>>7872514
Novels for teenagers basically, marketing term to sell to people of lower intelligence.
>>
>>7872263
The author not explaining anything is just really annoying and it takes a lot of focus when reading to get whats going on.
If you dont insist on mighty archmages, demi gods and dragons in your books you should consider The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, best fantasy book i know
>>
>>7872799
Honestly I am sick of dragons after reading Martins last book, This could be a nice change of pace. Not a big fan of Nightwish but if the book inspired them to write a song it probably has potential.
>>
Yeah like the other anons said the first couple books suck at basic details like what characters even look like but it gets alot better and my personal favorite is the 3rd book. It really gets good if your looking for the most epic series in the epic fantasy genre.
>>
>>7872786
Oh, so basically Eragon.
>>
>>7872749
>>7872863
Its nice to make a thread and have minimum shitposters. I should visit this board more often. I will take what you said in considertion.
>>
>>7872896
On /lit/ almost every anon just complains about how fantasy isnt a genre and belongs on reddit. Fuck those guys. Another series i heard was good is The Black Company. If you like steven erikson then you might like that, erikson even dedicates some books to the author Glen Cook.
>>
>>7872799
But then he completely shits the bed in Wise Man's Fear which is basically just a bunch of unrelated Kvothe novellas sewn together.
>>
>>7872475
Shit taste.
>>
>>7872263
After Asoiaf i read "The Name of The wind" and love it,you probable should try that book.
>>
>>7873356
Already checked the catalog of my local library. I will pick it up tomorrow.
>>
>>7873185
I was tired of forcing myself to read classic literature and always falling asleep way to early in bed. Currently fantasy somehow does it for me in means of escapism. In todays time a small percentage of people actually reads so I cant seem to understand complaining about someones preferences.

I saw Black Company on the other sticky image under the label "Pulpy-Goodness Tier" whatever the hell that means.
>>
I'd thoroughly recommend Brent Weeks way of the shadow series
>>
>>7873433
>I cant seem to understand
maybe if you had to see the way you write through somebody else's eyes...
>>
>>7873452
What's exactly the problem?
>>
>>7873449
This tbqh homie. Rothfhuss is solid. Also, just hit Sanderson hard. Mistborn series. I love Rothfuss, but that's a personal thing. Most /lit/ fags rail on it. Read it. Or just read Feist.
>>
>>7874818
>... Or just read Feist
Kafka-tier post, An'ön
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.