[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most dynamic, fluid, yet accurate English translations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1455048931977.jpg (470 KB, 2001x3000) Image search: [Google]
1455048931977.jpg
470 KB, 2001x3000
What are the most dynamic, fluid, yet accurate English translations of Dostoevsky lit? Particularly for Notes from Underground, The Brothers Karamazov, and Crime and Punishment.

pic unrelated
>>
Richard Pevear and Lara Volokhonsky have recently translated Karamazov, Notes and Crime and Punishment. I enjoyed all three and they come in nice editions.
>>
learn russian
>>
>>7872228

Ah, I think I read their edition of Notes from Underground and liked it immensely. Is their version of Crime and Punishment better than Constance Garnett's?

>>7872252

I'm reading them for a college class, anon, ain't got no time for that
>>
>>7872194
I've read many different translations and besides the wicked/spiteful differences in notes from the underground all the major translations are good.
I've read the following:
Short stories: magarshack
C&p: ready and Garnett
Notes: Garnett and p&v
The idiot: mcduff
Demons: p&v
The gambler: magarshack
Kalamazoo: avsey and p&v
>>
>>7872277
>Kalamazoo
Lol meant Karamazov.
>>
In a previous thread someone posted a link to an article by a professor of slavic literature. He translated Anna Karenina and said that P&V are a shit. Compared direct quotes from Garnett and P&V in the brothers K. Maybe you can find it in the archive.
>>
>>7872292
Sure a professor of Slavic lit could nitpick some translations, but for the average to above average reader it really does not make a difference.
A few cherry picked quotes may be slightly off, but I doubt 95+% of people would not notice if they read both translations start to finish.
If you want to be very thorough, I guess I would trust the Slavic lit teacher (although if he has his own translations he may just be attacking p&v due to their popularity). The best thing to do if you have time is read a couple different translations yourself.
>>
>>7872194
I saw her in church a number of times, she looks even taller irl
>>
>>7872307
is this board not for literature? why should we not care about certain nitpick-y differences?
>>
>>7872194
Go download different translations and read the first page on all of them. I did that and decided to go with Avsey for Karamazov. P & V seemed really stilted.
>>
They're all good, Dostoyevsky is not poetic so there's not much lost in translation. Any good one will have notes on Russian idiosyncrasies/phrases/figures of speech etc. that wouldn't make sense to an English speaker. Barnes & Noble editions if I recall correctly satisfies this need.

just rule of thumb: the more philosophical the writer the less there is a concern for an extremely accurate translation. The more poetic, the more paramount it is to seek out specific translations...or in many instances to not even attempt to read a translation. Dostoyevsky's idol Pushkin comes to mind as someone who shouldn't be read at all in English.
>>
>>7872357
Because you likely wouldn't even notice. If you really cared you would learn Russian. All translations have their positives and negatives.
>>
>P&V
SHIGGY DIGGY
>>
>>7872194
Constance Garnett is the best.
>>
>>7872281
K ZOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>7872194
Oliver Ready is the best C&P translation.
>>
>>7873238
Yeah it was really good. I haven't read them all too make that statement though.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.