[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A new book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: bromomir_is_kill.jpg (411 KB, 582x891) Image search: [Google]
bromomir_is_kill.jpg
411 KB, 582x891
Dear /lit/
its my first time posting here and its kind of a big thing
i need your advice on how to write a novice-lever fantasy book

now, for the last week i was worldbuilding with the help of /tg/ on some occasions, and its allmost finished and ready to start writing.

Now, i would appreciate if you could name any beginner mistakes i should avoid,
or just to give me some general tips to help me with the writing

i trust your experience and thank you in advance
>>
File: novice lever.gif (10 KB, 723x349) Image search: [Google]
novice lever.gif
10 KB, 723x349
>>7872073
>novice lever

Here's a pretty basic "class 1" lever you can start with.
>>
>>7872085
thank you, i will study it all day untill i can move the earth with it
>>
>>7872073
Don't feel the need to include stock fantasy themes because 'elves are fantasy, you gotta have elves!'

Don't feel the need to try subverting themes for the sake of subversion either.

Don't write in overly formal olde-tymey style just because you're in a faux-medieval setting

just DO it
>>
>>7872093
thank you, i will keep it in mind
>>
>>7872073
>He only worldbuilds for one week
>Not doing it constantly in the back of your mind for years, accumulating a wealth of information and creating a large number of unique and interesting cultures

Good thing I have /tg/ friends who like my GMing or I'd go crazy not being able to share it.

As for your advice:
Probably focus on characters, desu.
People care more about characters than setting. You'll stand out if your Mary Sue is at least interesting.

What's your plot? Do you have any ideas from the setting you want to use or explore?
>>
>>7872104
The world has several good potentials for conflict,
political conficts or large scale invasions/rebelions or simply exploring

But character wise, i thought it would be better if i build the world around the character
and then the character itself, but i do have lots of potential main characters or antagonists

Problem is just that i cant make up my mind on what to choose
>>
File: 48795621.jpg (150 KB, 500x413) Image search: [Google]
48795621.jpg
150 KB, 500x413
Alright nigger, first and foremost, the only trick to writing is to sit down and do it. Just fucking do it.

Also >>7872104 is absolutely correct in that you should never be done world building. It's an entire world. You couldn't completely flesh it out if you dedicated the rest of your life to it so do so as much as you can, however you can, whenever you can.

Also don't just 'keep in mind' >>7872093 's advice. That shit is golden. Fantasy as a genre is so much more open and flexible than the current saturation of elves wizards and dragons would suggest. Seriously, think about what it is you love about the genre and the stories you've been told, and follow in that spirit of infinite possibility and adventure.

Do everything deliberately. Think about WHY you've made the decisions about your world that you have. Every deviation you make from a standard normal-human-people-in-present-day setting should be made with purpose. Does being in a medieval level of tech serve the story? Does inserting fantastical racism into a culture inform the personality of the characters involved? Do whatever you want, just do it for a good reason.
>>
>>7872286
Thank you online literature wizard, your words inspire me
>>
It's easy. Each word has to be relevant. Don't write what the reader already assume; don't write twice the same thing, and don't prefer the right word over a word you find elegant or thoughtful. Don't give an information we don't need to know. The key is “economy”. As long as you strike out everything useless, and it's better done with numerous rereading, you'll be fine.
>>
>>7872073
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>7872073
>novice-level book
Hmmm. Maybe start with a novice-level short story?
>>
>>7872377
>this
I noticed that a lot of fantasy novels tend to dwell on the hero's quest, which, as essential as it is, often tends to dwell on stories about the protagonist meeting random characters who will have no impact on neither him nor the plot. Also, keep your list of characters trimmed and relevant. If it's properly written fantasy, there will be a lot of worldbuilding going into it and that's a lot of the reader to take in. The reader won't care about your protagonist meeting some desert urchins or whatever unless it moves the plot forward.
>>
>>7872073
My first piece of advice is for you to grow some balls and get the confidence to stand behind your own idea. Nothing good is designed by fucking committee. The only person who can ever have a full grasp of your ideas is you so why would you even bother asking anybody else what they think of them before you present the whole picture?

>worldbuilding with the help of /tg/

Fuck outta here.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.