[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for books about travel and exploration. Climbing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
I'm looking for books about travel and exploration.

Climbing mountains, traversing thick jungles, plains or deserts. Just the beauty of nature, the mysticism of the unknown and contact with strange people and places.

I'm mostly looking for stuff that doesn't make me want to kill myself and lose all faith in humanity, but something realistic is fine too.

Hard mode: female protagonist
>>
File: 15.jpg (63 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
63 KB, 260x400
Heart of Darkness is on my list although it does fall on the kill myself side of the spectrum.
>>
non-hard-mode answer: The Snow Leopard by Peter Mathiassen
>>
Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
>>
File: 9780141182766-uk-300.jpg (24 KB, 300x462) Image search: [Google]
9780141182766-uk-300.jpg
24 KB, 300x462
>>7871967
>>7872022
Thanks fellas.
>>
Search for diaries and travelogues of different explorers.
Marco Polo

Christopher Columbus

Alexander von Humboldt travels in Mexico
>>
>>7871941
Seven years in tibet

>>7871967
never seen this mentioned here besides the travel books list/pic. it's a great book. also Tibet, op.

>>7872022
kon tiki was cool as fuck too.

try undaunted courage. it's about lewis and clark's travels...based on their journals but with better narrative.
>>
Calvino - Invisible Cities
>>
>>7871941
Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
In depth historian's account of the Lewis and Clark Expeditions

I haven't gotten to anything too crazy yet. Just plenty of whippings, STIs, mosquitoes and unspoiled land with more meat than could be eaten. And of course, wild Injyuns
>>
File: as9_zps90c6766f.png (909 KB, 996x996) Image search: [Google]
as9_zps90c6766f.png
909 KB, 996x996
Two of Annemarie Schwarzenbach's works have been translated. Death in Persia and All the Roads Are Open: The Afghan Journey.
>>
>>7871941
I really enjoyed:

-The Heart of the World: A Journey to Tibet's Lost Paradise
-Hatchet
-The Hornblower Series by C.S. Forester
-Into Thin Air
-Into The Wild (not for everyone)
-Deep Survival is more non-fiction, but interesting
-Shibumi
-The Eiger Sanction
-Walden
-The Jungle Book
-The Old Man and the Sea
-Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Also, read the Collected Works of Robert Service. Known as the Yukon Bard. I have a copy of this everywhere I go, especially when hiking or camping. He's a poet and writes some great ballads as well.

/out/ has an /out/ book thread every now and then as well, they have some great suggestions. These are just off the top of my head. Cheers dude! Also, if you're having personal issues... Getting outside is far more cathartic than reading about other people going /out/.
>>
Taming Riki is a fucking rad book
>>
>>7872419
Bard of the Yukon***** whoops.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is an all-time great book too. Kipling has a ton of great stuff.
>>
File: 1362700449266.gif (1 MB, 1920x1303) Image search: [Google]
1362700449266.gif
1 MB, 1920x1303
>>7872419
Unfortunately I'm not in the position to travel farther than about an hour of biking right now. Thanks for the suggestions, mate.
>>
>>7872479
Fair enough, then explore the world through literature. Enjoy dude and I hope things look up for you. Also, I'm not sure if this is even a worthwhile suggestion, but you might also enjoy exploring on Google Earth. I used to do that when I was bored. Have Wikipedia up and explore some famous places in the world on Google Earth. Pyramids, waterfalls, faults in the earth, mountains, forests, ruins, etc. and then read their history and stories about them. Gives you a visual while also providing a background and history on those locations. Cheers dude.
>>
>>7871941
The Dharma Bums by Kerouac
Peregrine by Baker

Just what you're looking for.
>>
>>7871941
Premier de cordée by Frison Roche is a really great book about alpinism. I can't seem to find an English version though. I think that a lot of his books would interest but to I've only read the one I mentioned. If you speak French it's on Libgen.

Otherwise Touching the void by Joe Simpson is decent. Buzzati also wrote some pieces about alpinism but I don't know if it was translated in English (search for Les Montagnes de verre if you speak French).
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.