[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for examples of other literary figures, Japanese or not,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: mishima.jpg (941 KB, 1988x3000) Image search: [Google]
mishima.jpg
941 KB, 1988x3000
Looking for examples of other literary figures, Japanese or not, who embodied masculine ideals and themes of masculinity, masochism, and the human body into their work, as well as being public intellectuals. Stuff like Soseki, Junichiro, etc.
>>
The fuck is junichiro?
Gtfo
>>
File: Jun'ichirō Tanizaki.jpg (20 KB, 300x350) Image search: [Google]
Jun'ichirō Tanizaki.jpg
20 KB, 300x350
>>7870507
>>
>>7870488
>Soseki
>Masculine
All that really comes to mind for me is Hemingway.
>>
>>7870488
Tanizaki, not Junichiro.

It's only cool to call authors by their given name when it's one they gave themselves, like with Soseki.

>masochism and the human body
Edogawa Ranpo.
>>
>>7870488
if batshit crazy is masculine then yes, good call on mishima.
>>
>>7870488

Didn't this guy go to gay bars?

How is that masculine? Getting fucked in the ass is pretty feminine anon.
>>
>>7872296
What if he was the one fucking ass? Would be legit by Greco-Roman standards.
>>
>>7872264
s-sensei
>>
>>7872291
>implying he isn't right

look at japan during the time of the samurai and then look at it now
>>
>>7872296
>Getting fucked in the ass is pretty feminine anon
If you think that you've never been fucked in the ass. The whole experience of assfucking is the most masculine thing on the planet just short of war, desu
>>
>>7872291
batshit crazy is pretty masculine
>>
>>7872584

I don't know if there has ever been a greater example of Ressentiment than Sensai.
Truly the Japanese Untermensche par excellence
>>
>>7870488

N i e t z s c h e
>>
>>7870488
>>7872264
both of them killed themselves.
>>
>>7872594
Powerful cliches of people who wield power in the shadows who have a brainwashed nation of people to rule over. So not much different?
>>
>>7872774
So did Hannibal: Socrates, Marc Atony, Brutus, Cato the younger, Oda Nobunaga, Takeda, forty six of the forty seven ronin, and Rommel. What's your point?

Rommel
>>
>>7874275
sure many people kill themselves.
i'm saying they killed themselves for similar reasons.
>>
>>7874275
Takeda who?
>>
>>7874275
Nobunaga was shot
>>
>>7874275
Rommel's suicide was forced, counts as a murder
>>
>>7875494
Same with socrates
>>
>>7875494
>>7875505
Socrates had every chance to escape but chose to stay behind and die.
Here we are getting into the difficult territory of defining suicide which isn't easy because of tendentious definitions created to dismiss certain acts from the category and as an act it is subject to time, intention, severity, likelihood, knowledge and volition (all of which must be considered before calling something as a suicide).

>>7875461
Really? I thought Heminway killed himself because of mental illness where Mishima's was the product of his philosophy.

The reason why I made the list is because I thought you were deriding both of them for their suicides, so I attempted to list 'good' men who did.
>>
McCarthy is a great choice.

And Jünger was especially a man cut in steel.
Interested in further recommendations.

Bump!
>>
>>7877777
Why senpai?
>>
my hero <3
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.