[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start with this fellow?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: charles-bukowski.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
charles-bukowski.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>
Bumb for interest
>>
>>7870267
Hot Water Music then Ham on Rye then Post Office then Factotum.
>>
Start with anything you want, but I would sugest that you read some short stories first (Notes of the dirty old man, Hot watet music...) and then dive into novels (Ham on rye is a good start here because you can see how his father shaped his later behaviour in life).
>>
The trash
>>
You can start anywhere. I'm not a fan of his poetry but I enjoy his short stories/novels.
>>
>>7870267
You could start anywhere with Bukowski, but I would recommend Ham on Rye.
>>
>>7871402
>>7871405
These guys know what's up. His novels and short stories are generally better than his poetry, but he does have some pretty good poetry, I would check out Love is a dog from hell or Last night of the earth poems if you're inclined to check out his poems
>>
>>7870267
Factotum, Post Office or Ham on Rye

He's got some good poems to. His poems don't exactly highlight just how dirty and drunk and how much of an asshole he could be as much as his stories.

A man who lived his life according to himself and no one else, for better or for worse. And he was a man who truly loved writing. In some ways I respect this guy quite a bit
>>
>>7871407
correct
>>
>>
My friend who is no stranger to literature has never heard of Bukowski, I thought at least his name was general knowledge.
>>
>>7874925
well, maybe your friend just isnt into modern literature.
>>
>>7874926
More like literature

Am I right anon? Am I right?

Put er there
>>
>>7874929
And autocorrect has done me in

LITTERATURE
>>
>>7874929
agreed
>>
A combo of The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses and Post Office. Gives you some different sides of him, though the former might not interest you as much if you mainly want to read him to see how much of a filthy, drunken asshole he was. Honestly, if you enjoy any one thing by Buk, you'll probably enjoy the majority of his work. He spent his career hammering at the same nail.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.