[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag, where to start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: illiterate.jpg (51 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
illiterate.jpg
51 KB, 600x600
The only books I've read are Harry Potter and LotR when I was young. Currently reading Count of Monte Christo. In short I'm a uneducated pleb or DYEL if this was /fit/

I've seen the /lit/ top 100 chart and I've heard I should avoid the meme trinity.

So is it possible to sort the toplist from beginner to hard or do I just go from top down? Where would you start?
>>
>>7869610
Avoiding the memes is a meme. You should read the memes but also heed my prior advice. Get what I'm getting at?
>>
The consensus is that you should start with Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit" and finish with Godel's "On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia Mathematica"
>>
>>7869610
Read what seems interesting to you. Fuck /lit/.
>>
>>7869757
This. Read what appeals to you. For your level, there are no "must-reads".
>>
>>7869757
Same boat as OP and im sure he'll know these feels
What if I literally have no idea what appeals to me, atleast from looking at all these books posted on /lit/.
>>
>>7869790
Also, i've just started reading the dark tower by stephen king and even seems to hate him on here, im loving it
>>
start with the
S T I C K Y
T
I
C
K
Y
>>
>>7869796
>>7869790
Read what you like who gives a shit. Find a book you like and look at others in the same genre/style. Once you're getting a feel for prose and the language you can move into deeper stuff. Just remember you're doing this for fun at the end of the day, don't feel bad for not enjoying something even if /lit/ tells you to
>>
>>7869796
lol your a fag that shit is gay

read the meme trio first. everything after that will be a cake walk
>>
Start whit fitzy.
>>
The /lit/ chart isn't for casual readers. If you're a casual, try exploring some other books. If you enjoy HP and LotR, try something like Ready Player One.

If you want more of a challenge and to stretch the brain a bit, go for some of those /lit/ authors, but choose their shorter works. McCarthy's The Road is a good one. Great imagery, dark, but easy enough to read.

I would personally suggest anything by Stephen Hunter, like Point of Impact or Pale Horse Coming. Not too pretentious, but full of action, good writing, and detailed understanding of his topics.

Ultimately, just pick up a few different books from Amazon or a library and try them out. Find what you like.
>>
>>7869610

Start with the Greeks.
>>
The Hobbit is a good place to start, if youre looking for a recommendation. Otherwise, all you can do is pick a title that seems to appeal to you, as only you can decide if you like a book, in the end.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.