[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-American here, should I read Infinite Jest? CAN i read Infinite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: DFW.jpg (178 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
DFW.jpg
178 KB, 1920x1200
Non-American here, should I read Infinite Jest? CAN i read Infinite Jest?
>>
Do you sometimes finger your bum when you wank?

If yes, this is the booke for you!
>>
>>7868314

that book is the subject of the biggest marketing campaign in the history of literature

Even DFW suspected this

The viral marketing campaign goes on, and 4chan is part of that
>>
>>7868314

How self satisfied will I feel after completing IJ? That's how you sell me the book. Will it make me into one of the glorious beau monde literati?
>>
just read the pale king.
>>
File: share IJ.jpg (113 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
share IJ.jpg
113 KB, 638x479
>>7868359

Year of the Infinite Jest Bestseller Book

Buy it now! Share!
>>
>>7868314
It's not that hard or anything so you can if you want to. As for whether you should or not, that's entirely up to you.
>>
Yeah you can. Yes you should
>>
>>7868314
I'm about 3/4 of the way through. Read the footnotes, make sure you know the order of the timeline (page 223 I believe) and pay slightly more attention than you would to a Dick and Jane book and it's way easier than everyone says it is.
>>
Speaking of post-modernism and Infinite Jest, why is it only in America and some Spanish speaking countries where post-modernism has really taken off? It doesn't really have a big following here in the UK but has some fans.
>>
You could take it or leave it. It's a good book but if you're a slow reader it probably won't be worth the effort.

I've read it twice in just under a month both times and enjoyed it, but if I was stuck with it for a longer period of time I don't think the payoff would have justified the effort.

It's not particularly hard, American or otherwise. If you can read basic English you can read it.
>>
>>7868558
>post-modernism
>some Spanish speaking countries

Which ones? Just Chile because of Bolano, but that's it, he's the only one. Don't you dare suggest Borges is post-modernist, anon. Don't you do that.
>>
File: lolge loluis lolges^_^.jpg (29 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
lolge loluis lolges^_^.jpg
29 KB, 500x333
>>7868580
borges post-modernism
>>
>>7868558
Doesn't Russia has a pretty big postmodern movement?
>>
American here, should I read works published in other countries? CAN i read works published in other countries?
>>
>>7868558
because Britain doesn't have a great writing community anymore

Also I don't believe Infinite Jest isn't post-modernism, it is almost a satire on it or a reaction to it.
>>
>>7868314
Why will IJ kill your book club?
>>
>>7868927
Because it's a piece of shit.
>>
Are people fucking retarded or something? Sure, it's long but it's perfectly understandable.
>>
>>7868939
Its probably Davids style of dragging things on for a long time + the endnotes. That and the average book club probably aren't into ""difficult"" books
>>
>>7868927
>>7868939
It's mostly just the length I think.People's attention spans and patience overall have declined to deplorably low levels in the past 20~ or so years. IJ is a book the average 21st Century reader would theoretically enjoy if it wasn't so long.
>>
>>7868738
Yep. We actually have a lit journal dedicated to two topics and two topics only: DFW and Pynchon.

Also we have Pelevin, who is post modern author gone pop. He's pretty awful, unfortunately.
>>
Reading it now for the first time. You should definitely read it. If you have a good head on your shoulders, you'll be fine. It can drag, but even with his sometimes heavy vocab, you'll understand what he's saying through context. And it's pretty damn funny, imo. Plus it's a great commentary on loneliness and entertainment.
>>
File: 1398882177490.jpg (43 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
1398882177490.jpg
43 KB, 590x590
>>7868784
stay the hell away from my beautiful country's literature you fat, ranch dressing filled slime
>>
Is the book really good, or is this all some elaborate ruse? A perpetual prank, if you will, or a continuous caper?
>>
>>7869875
It's ok but deeply flawed and at least twice as long as it really needed to be. A mess, but an interesting one.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have a lot of time to kill though, because there are much better things you could be reading.
>>
>>7868359
Not really satisfied. When I finished it, I was both wanting to read more and dissapointed that I wasted my time.
>>
File: 12.jpg (63 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
63 KB, 400x400
>not writing through different distortion pedals
>>
That interview scene though
>>
I'm half way through. Don't think I'll make it but some great set pieces
>>
>>7868325
Orrible thought
>>
>>7868314
Non-American here, last american book i read was TAIPEI
it sucked but it was so easy to read
>>
>>7869931
Taipei is garbage and the people who shill for it here are in all likelihood either Tao Lin himself or his nobody alt-lit buddies.

If you want an example of American literature that's actually great, I'd recommend The Recognitions. It's not an easy book by any means though.
>>
>>7869966
I found it pretty comfortable
>>
>>7868580
>what is the microcuento
>>
>>7869883
Recommended alternative?
>>
>>7869966
I found Recognitions to be a fairly comfy read, but agreed that it's miles ahead of Taipei
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.