[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do mythological origin stories so often include a "decline
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Goldenes-Zeitalter-1530-2.jpg (168 KB, 1000x693) Image search: [Google]
Goldenes-Zeitalter-1530-2.jpg
168 KB, 1000x693
Why do mythological origin stories so often include a "decline of man"? Hesiod's five ages, fall of man in Genesis, the Yugas in Hinduism, etc.

What's the psychology behind these stories? In virtually all of them the decline is irreversible, so it's not some sort of aspirational thing to make people think things can be better. What's the societal benefit to the veneration of an imaginary golden past?
>>
>>7867975
Read Lacan
>>
>>7867988
Don't do this.

Read the hero with 1000 faces by Joseph Campbell

Read some Jung

you'll get it.
>>
>>7867994
I've read both and I have definitely not gotten it.
>>
>>7867975
>What's the societal benefit to the veneration of an imaginary golden past?
ask the jews or any religion based on ancient divinely received knowledge.

the advantage is (if I'm the old guy and you're young) you have to listen to me
>>
>>7867997
both what, lacan/campbell or campbell/jung or what

man, you might just be dumb.
>>
>>7867999
The elders are just as declined as the youngsters though, given that these are all far-off events. I don't think this is a good mechanism to make kids to listen to the old people.

>>7868002
Campbell/Jung, no Lacan.
>>
>>7867975
WE
>>
>>7868012
Good point, actually. Though this one does seem aspirational, as the earlier glory can be regained.
>>
>>7868008
They are close but not the same. It sets up the hierarchy, with its heights in the past.
>>
>>7867975
Its liberates people from having to take responsibility for their own problems by shifting the blame to the figures who created the downfall.

You dont have period pain because God is dick, you have period pain because eve fucked up
>>
This reminds me the "A was better X years ago" meme, that is in all 4chan
>>
>>7867975
Maybe that's what really happened. If, like you say, they all have similar stories, maybe that is the truth.
>>
>>7869304
This is actually true though. The internet as a whole gets worse and worse every year.
>>
the fall of man is quite literal you see, a falling from the vagina as it were

from the idyllic amniotic state of bliss where all wants are met, all desires anticipated, and all the harshness of the world muted by the genetle lapping of the mother's blood, into the state of decay, death and eternal separation from the godhead
>>
>>7868030
This.
Mysticism and worship leads itself to the inevitable conclusion that any creator is evil, but makes the mistake of having us worship the creator. So instead they shift the narrative to make it look like our fault.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.