[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/! What books would you recommend for an impressionable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: cat_feels.jpg (259 KB, 1172x978) Image search: [Google]
cat_feels.jpg
259 KB, 1172x978
Hello /lit/!
What books would you recommend for an impressionable 18 year old such as myself? Thank.
>>
>>7867824
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7867830
Fuck that.

Start with Zizek kiddo
>>
No need to get into a fight~
I'll try checking out as much suggestions as I can.
>>
FIGHT CLUB
>>
>>7867824
One thing I read that changed my life was Ted Kaczynski's manifesto. I read it when I was 21/22. His prose (the way he structured the delivery of his information, his word choice, his grammar, etc) reminded me of all the really smart 16 year olds in my AP English Composition class.

I was in that class too, but I was really dumb and unaware compared to the other kids. The teacher passed me with a C, and it wasn't an earned C. It was a pity C. I remember looking at the other kids' essays, and I could see how wonderful they were, but I wasn't mentally able to reverse engineer their writing so that I could change my own. I am telling you. I was dumb.

But, while I was reading through Ted Kac's manifesto 6 years later at 22, I could finally do it, and so I eagerly set off to improve my writing and get myself to the intelligence level of a well-raised 16 year old.

That newfound awareness that I discovered while reading Ted Kac's manifesto was the springboard for, like, a personal renaissance, not just basic writing skills.

Anyway, I am not actually recommending the manifesto, because there is no way that you would get what I got out of it.
>>
>>7867824
Catcher in the Rye
Siddharta
Slaughterhouse Five
The Illiad
A Farewell to Arms
The Stranger
The Water Margin
Pride&Prejudice
A Hero of Our Time
Oblomov
Fathers and Sons
Crime&Punisment
Also >>7867875
Definitely not >>7867838 , if you start reading political shit without a decent background and experience you'll get too caught up in it and become an insufferable prick.
>>
>>7867906
We're already caught up in ideology. This is exactly why The Sublime Object of Ideology would be a great book.
>>
>>7867824
Reow
>>
>>7867838
>recommending reading zizek without any working knowledge of hegel or kant etc

wew lad
>>
>>7867922
Go to bed Zizek.
>>
>>7867824
Honestly, you could start with the shorter classics such as The Old Man and the Sea, The Bridge of San Luis Rey, and Of Mice and Men. After you've gotten your thinking legs below you, you could proceed with lengthier, but still intelligible classics, such as A Farewell to Arms, The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, or perhaps Watership Down.

When you feel confident and competent enough to read the great works of literature, you could perhaps try Crime and Punishment, Dead Souls, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Madame Bovary, or Anna Karenina.

If you want to exercise your mind by engaging challenges, you could try reading The Sound and the Fury, Absalom, Absalom!, The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, or To the Lighthouse.

Finally, if you think you can read anything, try reading Ulysses, Finnegans Wake, Molloy, Infinite Jest, or Gravity's Rainbow. Just some suggestions.
>>
Start with proto-modernist work from the 19th century, then move on to early modernism. Be like me, never read the classics.
>>
File: The D.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
The D.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>7867824
Descartes, Discourse on the Method.

It's short, well constructed enough to begin with philosophy, and close enough to our time and interests to be entertaining to read.

YOU NEED THE D
>>
File: cat.jpg (83 KB, 1636x1080) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
83 KB, 1636x1080
>>7867824
>>
Steppenwolf
Notes From Underground
>>
>>7867824
Lacan. Start with the Ecrits.
>>
atlas shrugged
>>
>>7869375
OC?
>>
>>7867824

Catcher in the Rye
Slaughterhouse five and Cat's Cradle
The Stranger
The Watermethod man
On the Road
The Razor's Edge
Steppenwolf
Motorcycle's Diaries
On the Road
>>
>>7869418
its been circulating a while on here
>>
>>7869418
kafkaian OC I recon
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.