[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
...---...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 71Vmj-9DZYL.jpg (231 KB, 1104x1475) Image search: [Google]
71Vmj-9DZYL.jpg
231 KB, 1104x1475
>>
I liked the part where there was only one word on an entire page.

Totally not a gimmick.
>>
>>7868767
What is wrong with using a gimmick? You could say poetry is using gimmicks
>>
>>7867568
why is /lit/ so mad at this book? I liked it, yes it was gimmicky, but it was good.
>>
>>7868776
we only like deep art here
>>
>>7868767
Don't tell me you didn't think the part in the story where Navidson had to go down a continually narrowing corridor until he had to kneel and eventually crawl on his belly, all the while the words on each page kept diminishing and narrowing, wasn't at least a little clever.
>>
I wonder why he chose to do 27 volumes.
>>
I haven't decided how to feel about a book that seems to want to apply cinematic techniques so explicitly to literature. That is, I think, what House of Leaves is (at least in part).

Maybe "applying techniques" isn't the right interpretation. It seems more like the book is meant to be "read" as a movie. That's what I feel ambivalence toward, not least because of the "gimmicks" mentioned above.
I think there are other ways to depict cinema in literature.
>>
Prose >>>>> Plot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aesthetic

Danielewski a shit
>>
>>7869477
how is prose not aesthetic?
>>
>>7869485
Aesthetic exists on the page alone. It's nice to look at it and nothing more. Making loopdy-loops with letters is no better than dangling keys before an infant.
>>
>>7869485
He's talking about making pictures with text, retard.
>>
I liked it, genuinely spooky at parts
>>
>>7868778
The textual sculpting going on in hol is done with sensitivity and artistry. It's not gimmicky just because it's something new, y'all a buncha neophobes
>>
>>7869493
>not diggin' concrete poetry
>>
>>7869477
Ideas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prose >>>>> Plot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aesthetic

Only undergrads think style is more important than content.
>>
>>7869962
>implying the division between form and content isn't an illusion.
>>
>>7868793
hah fuck that actually sounds kinda cool ordering the book now
>>
>>7869962
Prose and Aesthetics are deeply related, as are Plot and Ideas.
>>
I actually really enjoyed the spooky atmosphere and general story telling. Anyone have any other recommendations that are similar?
>>
This book is a stellar testament to his dead father.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.