[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The New Man of 4chan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
File: Boake_NerdsAmokB30.3_64.jpg (985 KB, 768x1164) Image search: [Google]
Boake_NerdsAmokB30.3_64.jpg
985 KB, 768x1164
“The first of our kind has struck fear into the hearts of America,” announced one commenter last year on the giddily offensive /r9k/ board of the notorious, anarchic site 4chan. “This is only the beginning. The Beta Rebellion has begun. Soon, more of our brothers will take up arms to become martyrs to this revolution.” The post, dated October 1, was referring to the news that twenty-six-year-old Chris Harper-Mercer had killed nine classmates and injured nine others before shooting himself at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon.
The night before the shooting, an earlier post on /r9k/ had, in veiled but ominous terms, warned fellow commenters from the Northwestern United States that it would be a good idea to steer clear of school that day. The implication was not lost on the /r9k/ community. The first responder in the thread asked, “Is the beta uprising finally going down?” while others encouraged the anonymous poster and gave him tips on how to conduct a mass shooting. The apparent link between the post and the killer remains under FBI investigation, but in the immediate wake of Harper-Mercer’s rampage, a number of the board’s users hailed it as a victory for the beta rebellion.

http://thebaffler.com/salvos/new-man-4chan-nagle

I think this is the best piece of journalism I have ever read about 4chan, what do you think?
>>
Beta class consciousness is the only real class struggle

Beta-marxism is real
>>
God Baffler sucks
>>
>>7867380
>I think this is the best piece of journalism I have ever read about 4chan, what do you think?
probably, but that's not saying much as journalists tend to be pretty willfully? oblivous about internet culture in general and 4chan in particular
>>
Da normies know shut it down
>>
>>7867380
/r9k/ was a mistake. The fact that they're focusing on their virginity as the motivation for an "uprising" is proof of that. What we really need is a NEET uprising, or downsitting actually. With automation just around the corner, we need to get as many young people as possible to stop participating in this dysfunctional farce of an economy as possible. If we can break this crumbling, antiquated system for good by causing it to collapse through mass-nonparticipation, something new can finally take its place.
>>
>/b/ community
/b/ doesnt have a real community
decent article though
surprised /pol/ wasnt mentioned more
>>
>>7867380
you're right, by far
it's even better than any academic piece i've read, and unless new ones have come out in the last 6 months i've read all of them
zat you angela? if you have an alert set up, congrats, well done
>>
Yeah this is great. She even understands Pepe.
>>
>>7867429
we should legalize rape like they did in Brave New World so the robots can finally get laid, to be honest famalam
>>
>>7867477
Do you honestly think they have the nerve to rape anyone?

They might molest a woman while she sleeps, but that's it.
>>
>>7867483
I think if it was legal some of them might. I know I wouldn't, the idea of having sex when the other person doesn't enjoy it is a huge turnoff.
>>
>>7867380
journalism about here always sucks. philosophy, on the other hand...

http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3665/3055
>>
>>7867501
eat shit, lee
angela beat you
write something better
>>
I'm not finished reading it but it is impressively researched and also grounded academically.
Here are a few other papers about here.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.363.7029&rep=rep1&type=pdf#page=1
https://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/53595
http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/18515/
http://www.aaai.org/ocs/index/ICWSM/ICWSM11/paper/viewFile/2873/4398
>>
>It’s been a depressing spectacle to see two post-political, economically illiterate forms of subcultural identity politics—Tumblr feminist and beta/hacker anti-feminist—doing battle online. This feminism certainly has things to answer for; in addition to its penchant for sabotaging its own allies, it must be challenged on the damage it has done to university life with its militant opposition to free speech. But only one side of this new Internet gender rivalry is producing killers, and despite what polemicists such as Yiannopoulos are saying, it isn’t the feminists.

I find it somewhat telling when you consider the betaUR's place of origin and that of the militant feminist's. One has 4chan where we post anonymously, increasingly becoming mired in a lack of identity or actual community. Then the other, tumblr is intensely social, helping people form bonds and increase their perceived community. The lone male and the social female; it's not just the content that's gendered, it's built into the very software.
>>
She makes the basic mistake of conflating one board(in this case, /r9k/) with all the rest of 4chan that pretty much everyone else does, but that's kind of expected of someone who has no familiarity with this site. It ends up weakening her whole argument because she contrasts the behaviour of /b/ with that /r9k/ and states that it reflects a user group with contradictory views, while they're actually just two different groups.
Also,
>Fight Club—the 1996 Chuck Palahniuk novel famously adapted to the screen in 1999 by David Fincher and invoked as a quasi-biblical authority on 4chan
>>
skimmed it and it was garbage, same old shit we get whenever some hack journalist tries to explain 4chan (naturally spelled 4Chan in the article)
no idea why people are praising it, the image is funny though
>>
>>7867567

Made me flush. What an insight.
>>
>>7867691
Thanks, I think.
>>
>>7867580
That's because even anons tend to only frequent a handful of the boards since they're interest-based. That and I don't think you want to admit just how much /b/ culture circa 2008 has metastasized into /pol/ and /r9k/ which then crosspost all over the place.

Every board does have its own culture, but to an outsider looking in, there's enough /pol9k/ ejaculate all over every board to give off the impression that it's just the overall culture of the site.
>>
I'd say she fails to note a change to the user base, who no longer identify with 4chan (or any other chan) as their home. The users are part of various communities, but they don't view 4chan, nor any of its boards to be a community.

Some people still do identify as such, but they are the minority now.
>>
>>7867567
I think that 4chan probably has a higher percentage of women using it then might be first thought. Certainly Tumblr has more women then men significantly, but I think its different with 4chan.

Obviously certain boards depending, and of course it's no where near a 50-50 split. Just less dominated by one gender then Tumblr
>>
>>7867380
This article stinks of feminism
>>
>>7867567
Yeah, this. The article is pretty nuanced in its perspective but it totally focuses on the "what?" and ignores the "why?"

The reason that 4chan betas kill others (and themselves, for that matter) more than tumblr feminists do is because their lives are much more hopeless.
>>
>>7868245
I think it's more to do with what the overriding ideologies of the place have than actual gender splits. Weirdly enough the alexa ranking for boards.4chan.org shows more women and fewer men than tumblr.com.
I guess it's almost totally unreliable.

>>7868297
Men traditionally commit suicide in larger numbers in all societies and not just here. I don't know. It's not as though Elliot Rodger actually did browse this place, there's no evidence for it (beyond his "I don't forgive I don't forget" reference which he could have found anywhere).
>>
>>7868311
>Men traditionally commit suicide in larger numbers in all societies and not just here
Source? i'm actually curious about this. Could it be linked with the fact that developed nations have higher suicide rates or the more geniuses/morons thing?
>>
>>7868323
I might be making an over-broad generalisation by saying "in all societies" but just google "gender suicide statistics". My results page is telling me that men in the west are currently three to three and a half times more likely to kill themselves than women.
>>
>>7867567
We're anonymous but not necessarily unsocial. The community is there, just much less tangible. 4

>>7867580
Do you not remember the first two rules of the internet?
>you do not talk about /b/
>you DO NOT talk about /b/
>>
File: 1455811279270.jpg (76 KB, 594x395) Image search: [Google]
1455811279270.jpg
76 KB, 594x395
>This feminism certainly has things to answer for; in addition to its penchant for sabotaging its own allies, it must be challenged on the damage it has done to university life with its militant opposition to free speech. But only one side of this new Internet gender rivalry is producing killers, and despite what polemicists such as Yiannopoulos are saying, it isn’t the feminists.
>>
File: 1452040501134.jpg (154 KB, 784x1024) Image search: [Google]
1452040501134.jpg
154 KB, 784x1024
>>7867380
>journalism
>>
>>7868323
I think the most reasonable explanation, if we're allowed to speculate here, is that men tend to be more physically violent, and violence is the best way to off yourself. Jump off a bridge, shoot yourself, etc. Women tend to take sleeping pills and the like.
>>
>>7868664
This seems like it would explain a difference in suicide methods but not in overall suicides.
>>
>>7868420

I thought the article was great except for this part. Sure, men have a knack for expressing their frustration against society through senseless violence, but women have their own, equally destructive means of tearing at the social fabric, e.g. having loads of bastards. It's like, the article was balanced, except for this completely pointless concession to the Tumblrites like they're actually correct and it isn't like both sides are bogged down in spooks.

Then again, sympathy with men, especially for the most marginal, opposes PC so perhaps that was necessary to get the article past censors? I was surprised it was sympathetic to young men at all.
>>
>>7868420
>>7869321
Wait, what? What do you guys think the Tumblr idiots have done that's as bad as shooting sprees? Having children? Is that a big Tumblr thing? "Have a lot of kids?"

The closest I can think of was that crazy witch lady who sold bones she dug up from the graveyard - while hilarious, not nearly as bad as murder.
>>
>>7869391
>The closest I can think of was that crazy witch lady who sold bones she dug up from the graveyard
Please elaborate
>>
>>7869391
What is killing society is lack of purpose. Everything is slowly becoming more and more automated and people that should've been killed by nature or by a more brutal society are remaining alive and being depressed, drug addicted losers.
We simply were not meant to have this much population doing this little for so long.
tumblrism is merely a symptom of society drifting further and further away from purpose.
>>
>>7869401
http://nymag.com/following/2016/03/cops-bust-tumblr-witch-over-boneghazi.html

>>7869411
This is completely incoherent as a response to the question I was asking.
>>
>>7867483
my ex was groped by her friend who was wheelchair bound while he though she was sleeping. he was a total goob and she felt bad so she didn't do anthing
>>
>>7869432
>boneghazi
>boneghazi
toppest kek. journalism can take the year off now, they've earnt their salary
>>
"don't shoot! don't shoot! I'm part of the revolution! I need to see your leader. They're planning an attack on /r9k/. Take me to your leader. Take me to 4Chan".
>>
>>7869391
They're not arguing that bitching on the internet/IRL is as bad or worse than shooting up the school, but they're right in stating that tumblr has its own retarded elements doing violence - just not lethal physical violence.
>>
>>7869496
What kind of physical violence, then? And don't give me some shit about non-physical violence or you're just as bad as them.
>>
Spree shootings and mass killings are arguably for the greater good, in a pragmatic sense. Our species', and our planet's, greatest threat is our own overpopulation.
>>
>>7870089
No it's not.
Over population is a none issue(at current numbers and higher) if people went vegan.
And even past that overpopulation does not threaten the planet, it threatens poor people in most areas and a major collapse in population. Not the actual species or there planet.
Overconsumption is an issue. And retarded shit like cutting the rainforest down to grow soy to feed cows who produce more greenhouse gas than a car
>>
>>7870120
Neither are problems we would have to worry about with a controlled population. Not to mention how overpopulation has negatively impacted politics, the economy, and how we use land and resources.
>>
>>7869076
I think it's mostly that since men choose more physically violent methods to off themselves they have a higher chance of being successful or following through than women do (ie. it's not as easy to survive a gunshot than it is to survive an OD, or something like that)
>>
>>7870174
It doesn't account for the disparity, and pills aren't necessarily less successful. In fact, because all you have to do is take the right amount the pills are more reliable. With a gun your hand could twitch at the last moment and miss a vital spot.

What's overlooked is that we don't treat men for depression correctly. We diagnose women with depression and give them pills to numb them, but when a man walks in with the same depression issues we tell him to suck it the fuck up, princess.
>>
>>7867567
Very astute. It's worth noting that neither community is essentially 'reasonable' - their beliefs are rooted firmly in the emotional, in the same way that nationalism or racism are fundamentally emotional. Both communities react impulsively and irrationally practically by instinct. Both have a sort of entitlement or righteousness at their core - with the postmodern feminist-types it's a firm, dogmatic, almost religious belief in their inherent rectitude, while with the others it's a similarly firm belief that they have been cheated of a sort of sexual birthright at the expense of others. In the case of the channers who cheer on a possible school shooting, it's their overwhelming anger and self-loathing that enables them to suspend any empathy or common sense they might have. I suppose there are a whole bunch of factors, from the lack of culpability that anonymity from behind a keyboard generates, or even a sort of anomie caused by the weird postmodern irony overload that pervades a lot of social media/internet conversation. With the Tumblr lot it's the elevation of their ideas to dogma that turns those ideas into a part of their very identity, so that contradicting or challenging those ideas is perceived as an attack on their very self, hence the sometimes hysterical responses. And a general mistrust of objectivity or reason, plus the intolerance of debate, which leads to an environment in which most ideas or statements go practically unchallenged.

tl;dr Both groups ought to consider the possibility that they might be wrong sometimes, and practice debate and self-criticism to improve their ideas and generally be more mature about everything.
>>
>>7870218
Statistically, women are much more likely to attempt suicide than men, but men are much more likely to die and do indeed die in much greater numbers.

Aside from the obvious joke about men getting the job done better, I reckon that this is because women are much more likely to talk about their problems, and as such their attempts are more likely to be discovered. Men clam up, and will instinctively say that everything is fine. It may well be the case that men actually attempt suicide more but are much less likely to report it if they survive.
>>
>>7870229
So women attempt it more but it's more of a cry for help thing is what you're saying? Whereas men take it seriously because they actually want to do it.
>>
>>7870229
Then it has nothing to do with the violence at all, and more about with women not sincerely attempting suicide, or at least reaching out for others to help them and using the suicide attempt as a way of alerting others they are depressed.
>>
>>7870240
Not necessarily. That could be the case but I think it's more that women are more likely to flag up their problems to their friends are generally more likely to have support networks. Men are much more used to bottling things up. It's probably the case that the majority of men with mental health problems are never diagnosed and rarely tell anyone about their problems in detail. It's not that women are less sincere, it's more that women who are thinking of committing suicide are more likely to notify people of their parlous mental state, or to drop hints, as it's much more socially acceptable for women to talk about mental health than men. (One of the reasons men don't talk about it is that it's considered 'feminine' i.e. weak.)
>>
Has anyone else read this?
>>
>>7867429
But NEETs are already not contributing. It's their defining feature. Nobody notices them now, and you're never going to get normies to join the ranks of NEET elite.
>>
>>7867447
I don't know about that. You watch it for a while, you can see the same things coming up from the same posters. My current favourite object is the anime waifu fags; they all recognize each other by what cartoon they want to fuck, they chat about their day while jacking it to 2d 10-year-olds. Less pronounced but similar things in trap threads.

The membership may vary, but you can have a semi-solid community for a few months that makes a space and redefines board culture around themselves.
>>
File: Oldfag.jpg (41 KB, 318x447) Image search: [Google]
Oldfag.jpg
41 KB, 318x447
>>7868413
>citing the rules of the internet

Dead meme is dead. The only thing 90% of the board knows is Rule 34, and tits or GTFO but they probably don't even know that was one of the rules.
>>
>>7870449
>proceeds to use rule 11
>without any pumpkin
son i am disappoint
>>
>>7870218
Pills are one of the least successful methods, especially since a lot of them opt to add in emetics. When women and men use the same method, women tend to injure or disable themselves more than men do but they get closer in range.

What's overlooked is that men who attempt suicide with a less successful method are seen as attention seeking because the method chosen implies a will to live and get help. Attention seeking means they're seeking help, which is a positive sign compared to a strong will to die.

We can't say that about women because there would be more drama if we called them attention seeking, so despite them using a less successful method and the opportunity to see this as a positive sign for recovery, we pretend the majority of those underdoses are not underdoses but as negative a sign as you see in male suicide. Giving someone a worse prognosis because otherwise you might have to have a fight about their gender conformity isn't very ethical when part of that prognosis is long term debility. Telling underdosers, man or woman, to suck it up and stop seeking attention in that manner because there are other ways of coping and social boundaries of care is good for them long term. Telling them they have got attention by a permanent condition which signifies itself through repeated suicide attempts is a failure, and we fail more women with that method.
>>
>>7870449
I'm giving an example of how Fight Club has influenced 4chan, you can also find greentext stories using Tyler Durden and espousing his philosophy or something related.

I'm in my early twenties, I just starting going on 4chan in middle school.
>>
why does she call the grinch in a mask holding a gun a frog?
>>
>>7870566
Well she's not one of us, you see. That kinda thing isn't obvious to normies.
>>
>>7869321
Where did it say that the tumblrites are correct? I'm an alt-right nerd and I idealize school shooters to a certain extent, but killing people is certainly 100% worse than being a vapid whore.
>>
File: BlueCattleDog.jpg (480 KB, 1376x984) Image search: [Google]
BlueCattleDog.jpg
480 KB, 1376x984
On the lonely Friday night when I'm feeling low I'll take a look at the r9k catalog and browse a few threads that don't have reee or anime or anything outright retarded and gay. Yet I still find myself sucked into the most vile mentality. Like quicksand. The notion that humans are cutthroat leeches who prey on one another. That everybody's out to get poor old me. Some of the feog memes are catchy abd a few greentext stories relatable. But by the weekend's end I'm convinced that if I spend another day on that board, I'll be trapped in a cloud of cynicism that's just as unrealistic as any 'normie' sense of optimism. That board is genuinely no good for a lonely man's mental health.
>>
>>7868341
Does that refer to successes or just attempts, because I know for a fact that female suicides tend to use less certain methods than men.
>>
>>7869533

There are more ways to render the fabric of society than physical violence. The effects of anti-social behavior and lifestyles in women tend to be spread across more people, but collectively women contribute an equal amount to social decay.
>>
>>7870240
It has some roots in the methods that they choose. IIRC women tend to use pills, knives and other less certain methods, while men usually use guns or jump.
>>
>>7870804

Think of it in collective terms. Individually, yes murder is worse than dumping bastards on society, but collectively bastards tend to grow collectively, and murder is more correlated to bastardry than two parents. There are both short and long term consequences to consider.
>>
>>7870947

>the number of bastards tends to grow exponentially*
>>
>>7870428
The point was that we need to recruit more of them to our cause. If enough people stop playing the game for long enough they'll be forced to notice. Just imagine how apeshit they'd go if we could get even a 10-20% unemployment rate going for a few years.
>>
nice to see someone wrek the spurious notion that 'toxic patriarchal masculinity' is at the root of our every vice

i'm tired of seeing those terms thoughtlessly thrown around by anyone who neglects to critically engage with an issue but still wants to pat themselves on the back for being part of the conversation
>>
>>7870922
Successes, as you'll see if you read the thread.

>>7870229
Men clamming up is exactly what I was talking about in terms of the way we run our little online communities. Women have their social networks of real people for support, all we have is an anonymous void to shout into who most likely will shout back "Kill yourself faggot!". Not that this is women's fault.

>>7869391
>What do you guys think the Tumblr idiots have done that's as bad as shooting sprees?
I don't think "we" are to blame for shooting sprees, they're no more of us than of the entire internet but here's food for thought:
http://tenaflyviper.tumblr.com/post/107035907715/literally-my-friend-is-getting-told-to-kill
which doesn't even begin to address the good Anonymous has done, or at least attempted, politically.
>>
>>7869533
I wasn't talking about physical violence.
>And don't give me some shit about non-physical violence or you're just as bad as them.
As bad as who? School shooters?
>>
>>7867429
dude what

Don't encourage them to do less. Instead push them toward some non-wagecuck enterprise. The last thing those kids need is "less participation."
>>
>>7867380
>The apparent link between the post and the killer remains under FBI investigation

man.. im gonna get put on a list arent i?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.