[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reading used book >previous owner wrote notes in the margins
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: 1353195719268.jpg (26 KB, 421x320) Image search: [Google]
1353195719268.jpg
26 KB, 421x320
>reading used book
>previous owner wrote notes in the margins and highlighted
>starts out really heavy, notes everywhere
>by the third chapter they disappear completely
>>
>>7866173

This is definitely A Thing
>>
Lmao! They got lazy
>>
File: 1432579283633.png (161 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
1432579283633.png
161 KB, 500x361
>>7866176
>A Thing
Don't say that.
>>
>>7866242
Why
>>
I have done this myself. I ended up just writing on separate paper because I had to much to write especially as the book goes on.
>>
>note-mania
why the hell would this even be a thing anymore in the 21st century?
don't you guys like have macbooks and starbucks cards nowadays instead?
>>
File: 0329161751.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0329161751.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Guys what is the point of this
>>
I bought a copy of Absalom, Absalom! and didn't realize until I got home that the entire text was underlined and the margins completely filled with inane notes and observations. Like literally every other sentence was underlined. Kind of defeats the purpose of underlining.
>>
>>7866173
>people take notes
>I don't, I just know how to read beyond the words
>retards believe underlining and highlighting means anything.
>not being able to just understand what is a main point/secondary/tertiary point of the author's writings
>>
In copy of Samuel Beckett's How It Is the notes don't even make it halfway, they only make it 5 pages in. My copy of The Lime Twig has notes all the way through and they're mostly just underlined passages with actually helpful footnotes. So shout out to the previous owner, thanks for the notes.
>>
I know this one girl who uses little post it stickers to mark every fucking book she reads.
Various colours with several purposes. The worst thing is she reads really basic stuff, she used like 50 post it's on Fahrenheit 451
>>
i record little personal observations in the margins for my own benefit upon rereading
>>
File: lain.png (174 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
lain.png
174 KB, 400x400
>>7866423
you're one of those people that thinks they're smart but is actually really stupid
>>
File: 7654323456765432345.png (40 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
7654323456765432345.png
40 KB, 200x200
>defiling a book with your disgusting notes
>>
>>7866629
I would say the same thing about you, considering you have to write stuff down to remember it
>>
>>7866249
it's called a "referent"
>>
>>7866687
Oh I see.
>>
>>7866638
you people need to find some other image to express their anger, because this being so old-hat, it has no visceral reflective effect any longer.
>>
>>7866311
easier to not put down the book
>>7866379
some kind of personal concordance maybe
>>
>>7866596
i'm doing this compulsively for class, whoever gets my copy for a later class will be totally set
>>
From Daniel Handler's introduction to Melville's The Confidence Man:

The third [copy] I bought used, and it has notes in the margin from some previous reader -- notes I regard with the wry smile one gives someone who's going to try and win back an ex-lover with an epic poem, or use a coffeemaker without a filter: there are times when circumstances are so desperate, desires so untrammeled, that one has to learn these things oneself. The first pages are swarming in theories, arrowed to underlined phrases like hurried scaffolding. "Story of sorrow ------- received money," is linked up to "dog" and "lamb-faced man," all flowering from the "superior intelligences" underlined in chapter three or the "long weed" noted at the beginning of chapter for. The word "moral" appears a number of times, often below a confident check in the upper corner of a particular page. But then the confidence in tackling [the] Confidence [Man] begins to falter. By page forty-eight the check looks a little shaky, and underneath it are the unhealthy captions "Satan?" and "Doubt?" which even the most zealous of atheists will admit sound like cries for help. The word "Christ" is stricken through. A few more underlines, and then, above the heading for chapter seven "uncertainty throughout" is scrawled. There are no more notations in the entire text until the very last sentences which is underlined in trembling hand. And then, of course, it turned up in a used bookstore.

That said, apparently DFW had a library full of thoroughly marked self-help books, marked in different color inks to indicate different readings.
>>
>>7867270
>That said, apparently DFW had a library full of thoroughly marked self-help books, marked in different color inks to indicate different readings.

There's something terribly sad and banal about that.
>>
>>7866596
I just read The Lime Twig a few days ago. Can you post some of the notes? I'm curious to see what someone else who actually read the fucking thing thought about it.
>>
The previous owner of my copy of Gatsby underlined every single "white", i don't get the reason
>>
I once bought a copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra that was completely filled with notes some dumb teenager wrote on it. Like, so stacked with those it was funny.

I usually write down my reflections on what I've read in a notebook, or on a random piece of paper I find. Never on the book.
>>
>>7866379

He/she might be trying to find out the difference between Trojan and Greek names.
>>
>>7866173

>Poe's Complete Short Stories
>immaculate hardback edition from local Oxfam bookstore
>not a mark on it
>secondhand bookmusk blends with the fading hint of delicious perfume evidently worn by its previous gothgirl owner
>comfy, so comfy
>turn to The Purloined Letter
>what is this
>scrawled slavic ramblings
>pages stuck together with sweat
>circles and tangents drawn everywhere with √-1 and à at apparently random points
>translate some of the notes out of curiosity
>"FUCK HER IN THE MACGUFFIN"
>scared to open my copy of Badiou's Being and Event from the same store
>>
>>7867962
>>turn to The Purloined Letter
>>what is this
>>scrawled slavic ramblings
>>pages stuck together with sweat
>>circles and tangents drawn everywhere with √-1 and à at apparently random points
>>translate some of the notes out of curiosity
>>"FUCK HER IN THE MACGUFFIN"
>>scared to open my copy of Badiou's Being and Event from the same store

Lacan famously did a reading of The Purloined Letter
>>
>>7866673
Nice one friend, I don't think he'll be showing his face around here anytime soon.
>>
>>7867270
I love The Confidence Man.
>>
>open a book published in 1916
>written in the cover are the words:
>"to my darling Agnes, my heart aches now to leave you. Though we are apart I will always love you. Henry."
>close the book because there's enough of a story in that
>>
File: 1429579612899.png (57 KB, 283x408) Image search: [Google]
1429579612899.png
57 KB, 283x408
>>7868372
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.