[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does lit think of this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
What does lit think of this?
>>
Post-humanism avant la lettre. I like his love for animalx.
>>
One of the most boring book I ever read. I remember the deep and undivided joy I felt after finishing it.
>>
>>7866004
I like it very much.
>>
>>7866004

Very insightful, very male, bitter criticism.

That ending, hit me right in the feels, manly tears were shed
>>
>>7866041

Why would you keep reading a book if it bored you so much, are you one of those compulsive completionists?
>>
>>7866041
You prolly missed the message (i'd recommend check ou the wikipedia article at least) all the book it's like one big analogy about life
>>
>>7866160
>Reading last 3 chapters while waiting for some x-rays
>a lady comes to me and asks me if everything's ok while I baww like babby
>>
I don't remember its title but that story about the train passenger freaking out is my favorite short ever written. I love this book too.
>>
>>7866004
What was the painter's name again?
>>
I love this book.
>>
>>7866004
fucking love this book
>>
>>7867484
Giorgio de Chirico
>>
>>7867526
thanks mate
>>
>>7866004

I enjoyed it a lot despite it being rather devoid of things that happen, events, plot, or whatever you want to call it. That does not make the book boring. Drogo's life may be largely boring but that is the point. The book is an allegory for life, especially a life spent as a mission, as reaching a goal, a life ultimately empty within. It's an extended illustration of the idea that "life is what happens while you're busy making plans", but don't take that Facebook-tier aphorism as an indication of the book's quality. I was especially moved by the final chapter and the one where Drogo meets his ex-future-lover for the last time.
>>
>>7867709

The book has me questioning the state of our world. How does face a true and worthy enemy and gain glory in the world? Sure you can join the military but realistically you'll end up like Drogo, wasting away slowly at a base. Almost all combat now is surgical, long distance, impersonal. For those of the developed world it's just glorified bullying at this point. There's little to no danger of dying in actual combat, almost all soldiers killed now are either caught by an IED or picked off by a sniper. There is no honor in combat. Degeneracy, decadence.

Perhaps that friend of Drogo that decided to battle the elements and ultimately lose was the grandest figure in the whole book... Maybe that is our only honorable enemy now, mother herself.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.