[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me a short story that will leave me in tears, a book or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: parakeet.jpg (119 KB, 720x919) Image search: [Google]
parakeet.jpg
119 KB, 720x919
Give me a short story that will leave me in tears, a book or play will do too. Please no meme answers.
>>
In Search of Lost Time is a book that will bring out a lot of emotions
>>
>>7865944
The ones that left me in tears were: The Sorrows of Young Werther, Crime and Punishment, The Doll, the abovementioned ISoLT.

I guess it'd be my first honest post on this board, god, it looks plebe af. Sorry guys, I tried so hard...
>>
>>7866003
I've forgotten to add Master and Margarita. I guess I'm just more emotional when it comes to classics, Balladina have made me cry too, but idk about the translations of it, I'm polish and have read the original.
>>
>>7865944
Hecuba
>>
>>7865954
>short
>>
"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" by Hemingway
>>
>>7866060
I loved this, loved it so much, but it didn't leave me in tears, really.
>>
>>7866076
It's more affecting if you've ever been depressed.
>>
>>7866085
I don't know if I am depressed, but surely "Our nada who art in nada" struck me hard, especially since I was fresh out of religion then when I had first read it.
>>
File: 18386.jpg (20 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
18386.jpg
20 KB, 317x475
The Death of Ivan Ilyich hit me really hard. It's funny because the first half made me kind of bored and then the last 1/3 had me tearing up till I actually cried full on at the end.
>>
>>7865944

'The Paper Menagerie', by Ken Liu

http://a1018.g.akamai.net/f/1018/19022/1d/randomhouse1.download.akamai.com/19022/pdf/Paper_Menagerie.pdf
>>
>>7865944
Froth on the Daydream is a must-read tearjerker. Have anyone on this board read it?
>>
>>7866129
Damn, this is powerful.
>>
>>7865944
Stoner
Hard Rain Falling
The Sound and the Fury
Death of a Salesman
All My Sons
Long Day's Journey Into Night
>>
>>7865944
Tess and Jude
the big guy was a gloomy fucker so there might be more but I only read those 2
Also Lonesome Dove. Starts out a comic adventure but rips your heart out repeatedly by the end. It's not short though.
>>
Death of a salesman
A farewell to arms
>>
The Dandelion Girl
https://infinitemirai.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/young-robert-f-the-dandelion-girl.pdf
>>
Some stories from Salinger's Nine Stories made me feel emotions.
>>
>>7865944
The overcoat by Gogol was the only short story to give me hard feels (didn't cry though).
>>
the early stories by Truman Capote are pretty emotional.
>>
>>7868512
I got some depressed feelings at the beginning for sure. As the story went on it entered into the absurd for me though. Might be the quintessential Russian short story.
>>
good old neon by dfw
>>
Chekhov's plays, all of them, specially The Cherry Tree
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.