[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I read to help get me out of my depression or put my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: WWordsworth.jpg (10 KB, 416x431) Image search: [Google]
WWordsworth.jpg
10 KB, 416x431
What can I read to help get me out of my depression or put my crummy life in better perspective? Will any of the romantic poets help me?
>>
go outside instead
>>
>>7865872
Take the redpill:
Mein Kampf by Hitler
On Women by Schopenhauer
The Decline of the West by Spengler
The Culture of Critique Series by McDonald
The Manipulated Man by Vilar
Atlas Shrugged by Rand
The Bell Curve
>>
>>7865882
this tbqh

but after a while the depression comes back and you lose the desire for anything again
>>
>>7865882
I'm going to take a walk, and it's going to end at the library. If you mean "go outside" as in "be social" I don't have that opportunity today, so I need something to do in the meantime.

>>7865886
nah
>>
>>7865900
>nah
Stay brainwashed then, sheep
>>
>>7865889
I'm looking for something I can think about later which might make me feel better when I can't drop everything and go outside.

>>7865907
I don't care about reality that much tbqhwyfam
>>
>>7865907
Is this 2010?
Super low quality bait tbqh
>>
Read Infinite Jest, it'll take you months to finish it and you'll forget you're depressed.
>>
>>7865934
are you meme'ing me or is it actually immersive enough to help out?

Cause I don't have unlimited time to spend on non-school work
>>
>>7865957
It is but I actually found it making me more depressed in a way.
It also takes a bit to get immersed in it in my experience but its definitely worth it
>>
>>7865907
I read Hitler, still no Nazi. Where did I go wrong?
>>
>>7865972
Kay, I'll check it out.

Still interested in shorter works also though if anyone can help me out
>>
>>7866014
Kay.
>>
>>7865886
this'll just make you more depressed.

they're right, but it's depressing.
>>
>>7866081
Love you
>>
>>7866115
Kay
>>
Hm, Steppenwolf if you haven't read it yet
>>
File: 1451138413728.jpg (82 KB, 800x521) Image search: [Google]
1451138413728.jpg
82 KB, 800x521
>>7865872
Go out and read Keats and Witman in a forest or by a lake
>>
>>7865872
The Holy Bible
>>
>>7866105
>>
>>7865872
Atlas Shrugged
>>
File: starting strength.jpg (29 KB, 260x340) Image search: [Google]
starting strength.jpg
29 KB, 260x340
>>7865872

This desu senpai
>>
John Clare, Thomas Hardy, Milton (sonnets), Sappho and George Herbert are my usual refuges.
>>
>>7865872
Anon your fucking retarded. If you think a book will cure your depression it's no wonder your depressed.
>>
What you need is Max Stirner. Start with The Ego and Its Own.
>>
Anthem by Rand.

I don't agree with all of her philosophy but I'd be lying if I said Anthem wasn't the most invigorating, inspirational novel I've ever read.
>>
>>7865872
Ultimately, I would recommend looking into Buddhist philosophy (a good primer is "The Book: on the taboo against knowing who you are" by Alan Watts, very short but wise read). You've got to realize, OP, that your happiness doesn't lie in the outside world. The idea that "I would be happy if I just had x" is an illusion, because once you satisfy one desire or need, another comes to the forefront. The only place to find happiness is within you. Learn to appreciate the present moment for what it is, not for what it (in your opinion) lacks.

That said, if you're interested in romantic poets, I would recommend Keats's odes :^)
>>
I highly suggest Ulysses.
Everything about that book screams charm. Even the use of language is somehow engaging, meaningful and ridiculously charming.
I'm rereading it for the 3rd time currently and so far it's the same experience as it is everytime. It makes me far more positive and I stop contemplating suicide whilst reading it.
>>
If legit not trolling I would read a book on proper diet. I was diagnosed aspie 2006 and got cleared of it a couple years ago. The only change I made was cleaning the fuck up out of my diet. No sugar, no shitty fats, no fruit.

Philosophy is nice and all, but trying to outthink a failing body is impossible.
>>
Night by eli wiesel
Lone survivor by marcus luttrel
Unbroken by laura hillenbrand
Alll it takes to get me out of depression is a couple little reminders that my life isn't hard at all. Many others got through much worse. That eating something solid and getting coffee in me does the trick most of the time.
>>
>>7867088
kys my man
>>
>>7867625
It must feel good to be a sadist
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.